Showing appreciation

glass eye

Not sure I should even post this but I can't help feeling like I got gut punched.

I've been a diy hunter since I began hunting at age 12. Nobody in my family hunted. My older brothers had guns but were just into shooting. I have prepared for these hunts since I was a teenager.
I have lots of extra backpacking gear that I keep for loaning to un-equipped hunters. It's hard to find people that have the time and equipment to do a diy hunt in Alaska or New Zealand.

Over the years I have invited others to hunt with me in places like Hawaii, Alaska, and New Zealand.
I am not a guide ( except in CA ) and I don't charge. It's just finding a like-minded hunter willing to go along and share the cost.

I'm also a full time taxidermist and have been doing taxidermy since I started hunting at age 12.

Here's the rub; I take someone on a hunt to Alaska or NZ and they score on exotic game that they would not have without me outfitting the trip, and then they give the taxidermy work to someone else.
I can't help but feel insulted and un-appreciated. They certainly are not obligated to give me the work, but if they do it certainly goes a long way in getting another invite.

Come on over to the bad partners thread: https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/bad-hunting-partners.296132/

Without knowing more details, that sounds like a lack of communication (he didn't know you wanted to do it; he thought it would be too much of a hassle - shipping or something) or he is trying to send a clear signal that he never wants to talk to you again. You won't know if you don't ask him and make him aware of your thoughts.

I won't elaborate on my issues. But I can 100% empathize with you on this.

I was woken up to this relatively recently by someone who did show appreciation (small but clear gesture of thanks) among a small population of others who did not. And the person who made the clear gesture of appreciation was likely the person who needed to do it the least.

I imagine that there are a lot of people who accept opportunities and don't realize that saying "thanks when can you take me again" and walking away is not the same as taking 10 minutes to write a thank you note.

Like I said, I just got clued in myself and have likely failed in the past myself. Not anymore.

I'd feel pretty bad about that too. If I had the opportunity to go hunting with someone that was a taxidermist like you I think it would be a privilege and even add to the story when I told people about the hunt.

Come on over to the bad partners thread: https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/bad-hunting-partners.296132/

Without knowing more details, that sounds like a lack of communication (he didn't know you wanted to do it; he thought it would be too much of a hassle - shipping or something) or he is trying to send a clear signal that he never wants to talk to you again. You won't know if you don't ask him and make him aware of your thoughts.
It's because I read that thread that I decided to post this.
He most definitely knew I'm a taxidermist and familiar with my work. My work is very refined and not shotty at all. Taking the work home was certainly to save money on shipping mounts. But considering that the hunt was made possible by me and only cost travel, he could have thrown me a bone.

or maybe they didn't know you were a taxidermist as well
That just doesn't seem plausible to me.

Do you think that you could go on a trip like that and not learn such fundamentals about the guy your hunting with? Have you ever run into a taxidermist that isn't so proud of his work that he's showing you his work every chance he gets?

A invite should not come with the expectation of follow on Taxadermy work. The invitation should come just cause you want to hunt with them, nothing more.

There could be a Myriad of reasons why they choose to not use your shop. A cup of coffee and communication with them is a better way than airing out a perceived grievance on the Internet.

A invite should not come with the expectation of follow on Taxadermy work. The invitation should come just cause you want to hunt with them, nothing more.

There could be a Myriad of reasons why they choose to not use your shop. A cup of coffee and communication with them is better way than airing out a perceived grievance on the Internet.

True, and I stated as much in my original post ( last sentence) But I'm not obligated to invite you again.

I have the opposite problem right now trying to convince someone that went wayyyy out of their way to help me, that its fine to have someone help them in return.

True, and I stated as much in my original post ( last sentence) But I'm not obligated to invite you again.

That’s your choice, but it appears as a quid pro quo. Either show monitory thanks for what I did for you or you don’t get to go again.

I hunt with folks cause I want to, I go out of my way to do nice things for folks because I want to. Not because there is a expectation to do so.

Breck, that sucks. Especially the quality work you produce! Wish we would have met when I lived in SoCal.

Is it more reassuring that some folks who've never met you sent their prized trophies? Maybe I've got a bird or two in the freezer I can send your way. Gotta figure our some funds and logistics, but it's now on my radar.

That’s your choice, but it appears as a quid pro quo. Either show monitory thanks for what I did for you or you don’t get to go again.

I hunt with folks cause I want to, I go out of my way to do nice things for folks because I want to. Not because there is a expectation to do so.

My title of my post was " Showing appreciation" not "fulfilling obligations"

"Thanks for bringing me and putting me on these trophies but I'm going to give my business to someone else.
That's a hard pill to swallow and if you can't see that ............

I go out of my way to do nice things for folks because I want to. Not because there is a expectation to do so.

Also, I bet I've helped more people on this site than you ever have. I've shared a wealth of info publicly and privately about Hawaii and NZ with no expectations.

"Thanks for bringing me and putting me on these trophies but I'm going to give my business to someone else.

I find it hard to believe at no time he smiled or said thanks during the hunt, that should be enough for you. It’s not a hard pill to swallow, you are putting additional terms on defining it a successful trip. You need to re-evaluate what being a friend is. Especially, if you haven’t had this conversation with him before airing it out here.

It's just a dink move on his part. But not everybody thinks alike. To him he probably hasn't given it a second thought because his brain doesnt work that way. I see it all the time not just in the hunting world. People are just oblivious to things.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Some that park their shopping cart in the middle of the aisle cause they dont think about others and some that park it on the side so others can get thru.

Also, I bet I've helped more people on this site than you ever have. I've shared a wealth of info publicly and privately about Hawaii and NZ with no expectations.

It’s not about who’s dick is bigger or unfounded assumptions but you seem to be pushing that mentality in this thread. GO HAVE A CUP OF COFFEE AND TALK WITH HIM!!

For better or worse, no one can read your mind. There are many reasons someone in this situation might choose NOT to pick you as their taxidermist:
1. Out of their price range
2. They don’t like your work (unlikely, as your work is amazing).
3. They don’t want to have a business deal sour and jeopardize a friendship.
4. They are unaware you are in need of jobs to do.
5. They feel you’ve done so much for them already, had a great experience, and want to ensure things were left on a good note.
6. They’d prefer to spread around the people they deal with
7. You’re not their #1 pick for taxidermy.

The closer I know someone, the less likely I am to do business with them. Generally I keep my business contacts and friends separate. For other people it’s the opposite and that’s fine too. If I do work for someone I’m close to, I often refuse payment, or am much more likely to accept in kind help from them in the future (e.g. I’ll shingle your roof for material cost, and you can babysit my kid a few times for date night).

Maybe the next time you take someone on a trip let them know that you’d be happy to take their taxidermy order and will give them a 10% friends discount, but also no pressure whatsoever if they’d prefer to go with someone else. Might work out better than unspoken assumptions.

Back