Shoulda moved to MT sooner

raiderbowhunter

Plain and simple if you've hunted in TX your whole life and think elk hunting can be done with ease....think again.

I just gained residency last week and have basically been hunting my tail off since I got my license. I thought I had some good places figured out in relation to Billings, but I'm starting to think they are better suited for gun season once some snow falls.

If there is anyone from the Bozeman area that wants to help a newbie out please feel free to shoot me a pm with any kind of guidance as I think the Gallatin forest is going to be where I need to be for bow hunting to at least see fresh elk sign. :/

Thanks for any help/encouragement as I'm bummed out after four days of walking and walking to no avail.

Stay positive and recharge. Four days is just a good warm up. You live in MT now and will have a great fall learning new areas.

4 days of walking to no avail isn't a sign of much.

HuntTalk is the finest resource of DIY hunting information out there, but it can have a negative effect - it can make you think hunting is easy. Guys come to the west on their weeklong vacation and slay elk and put the pictures up, year-in-year-out guys consistently post pictures up of elk and deer. I think it can make you think you should be doing the same, and make you think you are missing something if you're not. HuntTalk can give you the impression that it is easy.

The fact is you may walk for a week or two looking for elk. You may spend an entire season trying to find a bull and fail. I am no great hunter, but I and many others I'm sure know very good hunters who strike out frequently - on areas, on trips, and on seasons.

You'll eventually find them if you keep trying different areas, whether in the Gallatin NF or elsewhere. Go steep and go far from roads, and expect to spend a fair amount of time just taking your bow for a walk. Don't let four days get ya down.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. Definitely Thought I had a good place figured out that didn't get hammered until gun season. I guess it all boils down to timing....and apparently I haven't been there at the same time as the elk lol. I'll keep at it either way and eventually find some elk.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. Definitely Thought I had a good place figured out that didn't get hammered until gun season. I guess it all boils down to timing....and apparently I haven't been there at the same time as the elk lol. I'll keep at it either way and eventually find some elk.

Im in the same boat but ive been a resident for life haha. Been a while since I got into elk in Bow Season. I usually have to drive about 2+ hours from Billings if I want the best chance of seeing an elk I can have a chance to hunt without paying someone for the chance to hunt.

Agree with everyone's posts on this. That's why it is called hunting, and not harvesting. :)

Plain and simple if you've hunted in TX your whole life and think elk hunting can be done with ease....think again.

I just gained residency last week and have basically been hunting my tail off since I got my license. I thought I had some good places figured out in relation to Billings, but I'm starting to think they are better suited for gun season once some snow falls.

If there is anyone from the Bozeman area that wants to help a newbie out please feel free to shoot me a pm with any kind of guidance as I think the Gallatin forest is going to be where I need to be for bow hunting to at least see fresh elk sign. :/

Thanks for any help/encouragement as I'm bummed out after four days of walking and walking to no avail.

Not as easy as it looks on TV.

Walking 4 days with no results is about par for the course of elk hunting.

Lots of sound responses here Raider... there are a few guys that make it look easy... but most guys have experiences just like yours... there are a bunch of guys that work their asses off and get into the elk pretty regularly... Just keep after it. The elk are out there...

When I started hunting elk as a young man putting on miles and miles with no success ... my initial conclusion (based on my personal observations) was that elk were mythical creatures promoted by hunting equipment companies to sell their products.

elk were mythical creatures promoted by hunting equipment companies to sell their products.

There are times when I feel that way.

But for the OP (and fellow Raider fan, if I interpret your handle correctly) - it sounds like you've got the right attitude. Elk love water, feed and security. The locations of these will vary greatly depending on where you are at (what state, mountain range, elevation, time of year, etc). And they can vary from year to year as well (hunting pressure, agricultural changes, predation impact, etc).

So when I research a new area - I look for the 'big 3'. When I find a likely spot on the map - I hit those first. When that fails, I repeat the process over again, this time with a little more refined information. I fail more than I connect - but I learn something new every time out (usually I learn where the elk aren't). But I've taken an elk every year since 1991 (except for 2 - 1 year in college and the year my daughter was born).

The Montana FWP says successful elk hunters usually hunt 10 days to harvest an elk. This has been my experience in other states. Ten days can be scouting through the early season and finding a herd opening morning or tromping thru the backcountry for a week plus. My opinion greater the effort greater the reward. I bet the poster above that has killed an elk ever year since 91 didn't give up after four days.

I have spent thousands of dollars of gas,food ,supplies driving out West to hunt elk and have never killed a bull. I still want to go. It is addicting. You don't have to kill one to have a rewarding trip. Look around, you are in Gods Country. Enjoy it and learn. Keep at it ! Besides you will have a new problem when you get a big one down in the middle of nowhere! lol

When I started hunting elk as a young man putting on miles and miles with no success ... my initial conclusion (based on my personal observations) was that elk were mythical creatures promoted by hunting equipment companies to sell their products.

Haha! I love this. Well put Straight Arrow! I grew up in Montana and thought the same for many years!

Dont be afraid to knock on doors if you see elk on private land either, often times if youre courtious to the landowner they will let you on to hunt. dont get discouraged either, Ive hunted elk for 15 years and still havent gotten to tag one, lots of opportunities, but never an ethical shot, or not a legal elk. keep trying, and enjoy every day you get to be out in montana. Good luck

Update on my hunts...been on hiatus this week as my main employee at work had to fly to Michigan to be with his family during a time of terrible tragedy, so I have been focused on work and helping him get through a tough time.

I'm headed out for a four day hunt to close out the archery season next week in an area I know very little about, but I'm tired of letting that scare me away from exploring and learning this great state I get to live in now.

I hope to update with at least an elk sighting next weekend!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back