Caribou Gear Tarp

should teachers be armed, at school

huntme

teachers should be allowed to arm themselves,after taking a C.W.P class,why not?
how mannny nut jobs would want to attack a school that they knew the teachers were armed in?
i go into the woods each year to hunt,there are a lot of other hunter out there as well,some might be nutjobs,do they take shots at me?
NO,well why dont they?
because we fellow hunters are armed,i carry a highpowered rifle,a pistole,a knife,rope,and plenty of ammo,someone would be stupid to take a shot at me,would they not?
the same reasoning applies here,if teachers are armed,nut job kills one,5 or 6 more take the dead teachers place.
now you have a dead nutjob,with less children,or no children dieing.
enough said.

No, I think that is a bad idea.

Teachers are there to teach. If we can't find some other way to make the class room safe, then we are failing our kids, their educators, and ourselves. Asking a teacher to start carrying a firearm and now be the security officer is laughable when you think about it.

They have a million other things to worry about, besides having to pack heat.

There is one a hell of a big problem out there for these kind of events to happen. I don't have an answer to those problems, but to suggest problems of that degree can be solved by asking teachers to carry a weapon seems to be denying the reality of the situation and ignoring that a lot more consideration be given to addressing the problem if we ever intend to change the situation.

Of all the teachers I know, the difference most of them will make in such a situation is about zero. In fact, most would probably be more of a hindrance if asked to try shoot at a heavily armed and armored assailant who was shooting at them or their students.

They would be better served to get the kids to safety as most the teachers so admirably did today. It is not unreasonable to expect that teachers should depend on us, our school boards, and our school systems to provide them and the kids a safe place to teach and learn. To find ways to prevent heavily armed idiots from entering the class rooms to start with.

I can see many different situations where a teacher packing heat, then being asked to serve as defender, results in many bad and unintended outcomes. I have a hard time envisioning that any of them would be capable of consistently creating a good outcome. Besides the fact that it will only further erode their ability to teach our kids, one of the basic fundamentals in building a society with fewer morons.

Quite honestly, I think all this talk of "If one person had been carrying, the outcome would have been different...." is laughable. I see a lot of these guys shooting their handguns out at our range, and many of them shoot a lot. They all have concealed permits. When I watch them and their shooting skills, under conditions of no stress and not being under fire, they do not convey much confidence to me when shooting a target at 10 yards, let alone a heavily armored human that is firing at them. To apply this to teachers, most of whom have very little familiarity with firearms, seems like a pipe dream.

Seems that viewing arming of teachers as the solution is a complete disregard for the much bigger problem that is at the root of this crap. I am hoping we can work toward solutions that have a lot more substance than the idea of arming our teachers.

Merely one man's opinion.

My daughter is a teacher, my son is a cop and I worry every damn day, I have no answers.

Teachers no, metal detectors and a security guard yes. Don't hire a federal worker as Buzz described, but someone with skills and willing to do the job.
Small price to pay and I look at it this way, Obama is all about creating jobs, well I would rather see this than other stimulus crap he wants.
No one wants to see bars on windows and security doors on schools but until we get the youth of today off prozac, and get the parenting and help they need I would rather see my tax money spent on metal detectors than other pork the government is dolling up.

I agree schmalts. It would cost lots of money to do right but I would not complain.

ok,then let me just say this,if a teacher decided to arm themselve,would it bother you?

I knew this question would come up. It's actually sad it has. I have my carry permit and just a few weeks ago I said to my wife...I can't believe I'm not allowed to carry in the school seeing how all this crazy sh!t keeps happening within the schools.

If I feel like carrying in the school forget the rule of I'm not allowed. At this point I don't feel like I need too, but if I ever do forget the rules.

We don't even want to allow teachers to have a union or pay them a living wage. Not sure that we think they are too valued and trusted in this society.

For once I couldn't agree more JC. There are always reactionary ideas brought on by the sense of helplessness created by these events. Occasionally they fruition into something positive but they usually just fizzle as the memories fade or get mired and distorted by politics. Mostly they skirt around the real issue without actually creating any sort of solution.

Teachers do not want to worry about armed readiness in the classroom, nor about security of firearms with curious elementary kids around. 'Just not a good idea.

I agree with points about other causes of the violence being mitigated. It appalls me to see my own grandkids and most others on video games slaughtering their fictitious enemies with all sorts of wierd weapons and violent means. Some kids spend more time violently slaughtering this electronic "enemy" than in the classroom!

The violence on prime time TV and in movies is a somewhat different, but just as rotten, enchilada.

As a father of five kids under the age of 12 here is my input. When I drop my kids off at school I entrust the school that my kids will be treated kind and that they will be protected. A stupid no weapons allowed sign in front of the school does not protect my kids. In this latest disaster the sign wasn't followed. DUH!

I asked my kids what they are suppose to do if a mad gunman enters the school. They said that the principle triggers some sort of alarm and if there is time they turn off the lights in their classroom and huddle in the corner that is out of view from the door. When I asked them what can the teacher do to help protect you that is all they could give me.

Thinking back at my education, I remember some teachers that I would trust to defend my kids and others, mostly the English teachers, that are better off staying away from using a pistol. Seems the gym teachers, shop teachers, math teachers, and especially the science teachers could kick some serious trash. But who said they need to be armed with pistols. There are bats, stun guns, tear gas, and shotguns etc. Even if every teacher had a gun vault mounted to their desk whether there is a gun in it or not would be a deterrent.

An educator can't do their job if we continue to take away their rights to be armed if they choose.

In my mind the only way to have armed security at elementary and high schools is to station uniformed law enforcement there. Yes it will cost a fortune, so what?

Even then, there are no guarantees..

Can't these bad guys just follow a sign?

nocarry.png

I supposed I'm a little biased with my wife being a teacher (and an Army veteran). But if someone came in the school and was making his/her way down the hallway shooting, I would prefer my wife at least have a little bit more of a chance to change the potenial outcome

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back