Yeti GOBOX Collection

Should I buy a .338?

But it! If I wanted my 210gr TTSX’s any faster I’d have a hard time turning down a .338 WM tanger.

“Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.” —Henry David Thoreau

Well, if I make a bad hook set on a fish trying chit, all that happens is it gets away. Even with a good hook set, I can throw them back.

Make a bad shot on an animal jacking around with trying chit, the animal pays the price.

I've had a .338 WinMag (Ruger Model 77, 3 position safety) for nearly 20 years; it was my Alaska hunting rifle. I loved hunting with that rifle, it probably fits me better than any other rifle I have owned. I like shooting 225 grain or 250 grain Swift A Frames out of it; this year I tried some Pendleton custom ammo in 225 grain A Frames before the hunt, and the first 3 shot group was sub MOA. Even after all these years and 12-15 Alaska hunts, it's a shooter with good ammo.

I used a Past Recoil Pad when at the range, and only shot 8-10 shots from the bench per session - the rest were fired from a sitting position with shooting sticks, and wearing the recoil pad. I typically shot 30-40 rounds per range session, and would put between 200 and 300 practice rounds in before each Alaska hunt. It was doable with the recoil pad.

I will probably sell my .338 now that my Alaska hunting days have ended with this Fall's hunt, but I can thank my .338 for bagging a moose, a wolf, and many caribou. What a great cartridge for moose, elk, bear, and whatever else you want.

Buy the .338 - you'll be glad that you did.

Attachments

• 338.jpg
    338.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 18
Another thing I found, is that the .338 killed deer fine, but not nearly as well as .243's, .25's, .284's etc. I think the heavy bullets I shot just whistled through without much expansion. Certainly never lost a deer or had trouble finding blood they just typically ran further with lung shots than when I used smaller rifles.
Same experience here. I have had a 225gr SST just shoot straight through a buck without expanding at all (80yd shot). Couldn't believe I didn't watch that deer tip over. Next year shot a buck with the same 225gr sst bullets and it expanded perfectly and I found the bullet hanging up in some fur on the exit wound (180ish yard shot).

Buy it pard! You can have it braked, put a Limbsaver pad on it OR like I did once, put a FalconStrike Hydraulic Recoil Pad on it! Its a nice looking pad that has oil in special chambers/baffles inside, it really works! I have used/owned, shot a ton of deer/elk size critters with several 338WMs, a 340Wby and 2 338 RUMS. Love how they make a big animal SSFF (Start, Stumble, Fart and Fall!) I have now dropped down to a Wby ULWT 338-06. Its all good!

Last edited:
When I picked it up I imagined riding a horse (I don’t even own a horse) into my favorite elk spot in the Redacted Range, sleeping in my wall tent with a roaring stove, killing a nice 6 point bull on a clear morning, and then stopping a charging grizzly in its tracks on my way out.
If it doesn't work out, you can turn around and sell it using your line from above as a sales pitch!

I've had five different 338 WM's, going back over 30 years. All but a Ruger 77 with open sights had 22" barrels (my favorite bbl. length for the cartridge). The Ruger kept its 24" barrel. I generally just used 210 Paritions.

At the end of the day I just found it didn't do anything "lesser" cartridges did, required a heavier rifle than I like to carry to be comfortable to shoot, and required extra shooting time to remain proficient with (ie, to stay used to the recoil).

But if it's an itch you've got to scratch, nothing I can say will keep you from getting it.

If you want to buy it for sentimental reasons, who are we to say?

If you want to be a more effective hunter, a 223 bolt gun and a 1000 rounds of ammo for realistic practice are probably a better investment. I have no idea what your riflemanship skill is, maybe you have that covered.

Either way, be cautious of the advice of internet bros...... :LOL:

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back