Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Shotgun or Muzzleloader

kellerdairyhunter

So on all of Randy Newberg's Talks he says that whatever gun you use for deer hunting can work for elk hunting, but I live in Ohio where we are limited on shotgun slugs, and Muzzleloader. What would you guys recommend me to do? Or what Caliber of gun would be good to start with?

I kind of depends on how often you intend to come out west and what you plan to hunt. I love hunting with a muzzleloader, so that would be my first suggestion so that you don't have to go buy a new rifle. If you plan on coming out a few times, then I would say go ahead and buy a new rifle in 30-06 or .308. They will both easily take care of deer and elk and antelope. Besides, isn't there always an excuse to buy a new rifle? :cool: There's always archery too...

NV doesnt allow shotgun for elk. Check whatever state you plan on hunting for laws.

For me though, there is a certain romance associated with muzzleloader hunting.

The average muzzleloader will reach out much more distance than the average small game shotgun set up. Getting a rifled shotgun barrel will extend your range significantly.

Some states, like Montana, do not have a dedicated muzzleloader season. You would have to use it during the rifle season. I'd just buy a rifle if you plan on Western elk hunting. mtmuley

Muzzleloader hunting sounds like a lot of fun (and I'm saving points in CO for just that), but it is more limited in terms of what state, dates, etc. Given that one can buy a decent rifle scope combo for a few hundred bucks these days, I'd be tempted to start there.

I picked up a MZ years back to extend my options on deer & elk. That said I prefer my -06 for outcome.

Kellerdairyhunter, if you are planning to hunt elk in a western state during a rifle season, I would recommend that you purchase a rifle. There is a lot of information on this forum from some very experienced western hunters regarding calibers and rifles. Don't limit yourself with shotgun/ML if you can legally hunt with a centerfire rifle. You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a rifle. Several rifle manufactures sell rifle/scope combos that will not break the bank. Also, you can shop for a used rifle in gun shops.

What is your shotgun setup? I shoot a browning A-bolt 12ga bolt action slug gun. I would take it over any muzzleloader everyday of the week. With that said, I would do whatever you had to do to take a rifle. As mentioned previously, you can buy cheaper used or even cheap combos from howa, weatherby, etc...or even borrow one.

You can get yourself into a TC Compass combo with a half way decent scope for about $300. They're not fancy, but they drive tacks. They come in just about any caliber you'd need/want, but you couldn't go wrong with a .308/30-06/300 Win Mag.

I'm not all that familiar with slug hunting, but I would assume you could get a sabot to work just as well as a muzzleloader.

To be fair to Randy, I think that statement's made with the assumption that the listener has a deer rifle. That said, one could easily get a non expensive option to cover their rifle needs. Since you don't have one, I'll assume you don't handload and therefore suggest you get a 308 Win. It'll have ammo everywhere and in lots of options for anything you'll likely ever hunt. It'd not be too hard to set yourself up with a rifle/scope for $500.

kellerdairyhunter............. I have hunted in Shotgun only states my entire life.
New Jersey / Delaware / Indiana / Ohio (now the last 2 states have allowed for some rifles)

All that said....... I bought a Browning A-Bolt in 30-06 (19 years ago) to hunt in North Central Pennsylvania.
Work got in the way for years.
Once I finally got to shoot a deer in Texas with it and eventually Pennsylvania.
You couldn't pry it from..............well you know the rest.

As stated above..........there is always good reason to buy a rifle.
As far as calibers.......that is like a Ford/Chevy/Dodge and on this forum = Nissan (debate)
My experience after flying with my rifle to Texas is that a 30-06 can be resupplied with ammo at Walmart if the nice folks at airport get intrusive in your checked luggage.
Plus the 06' can be loaded up or down for the intended game.

10Dogs

I’d loan you a M77 in 30.06 if you came to Colorado and didn’t have your own rifle.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back