Shotgun help

krshunter

Looking at an excellent condition older Remington 870 Wingmaster, one "Full" and the other "Mod". Will either of these older shotguns shoot steel shot? I will probably use it for grouse, pheasant, maybe an occasional goose hunt. Regs here say we have to have steel shot for any waterfoul and on public property. Upland birds on private property can be shot with leadshot. I'm new to shotgunning and looking for something versatile to get me going.

I bought an 870 wingmaster in 1987, 30 inch full choke. I've shot a ton of steel through it with no problems.

I dont think you'd have any problems shooting steel through the older 870's. I was told all kinds of horror stories about steel causing ring bulges, not shooting well, etc.

All BS.

Hey Buzz,

They have two of them down at Westbrooks and said they would come down in price. One is the Wingmaster Magnum with vent rib and in pretty good condition. Other isn't the magnum and doesn't have the vent rib. Will come down to $225 on either one. Good deal?

I'd get whichever one is the modified choke. You don't want a full choke for shooting large steel shot. The modified should work well. Also for grouse and pheasants you don't want/need a full choke. You also don't need 3 inch shells, and the vent rib isn't necessary either.

I think its a decent deal. I paid $290 for mine new in 1987. Mine has the vent. rib and is a 3" mag.

Its about the only shotgun I've hunted with since 1987. I know theres more expensive shotguns out there, undoubtedly better shotguns, but mine has been nothing but reliable ever since I bought it. I did buy a browning bps in a 28 gauge a few years ago and have shot a few birds with it, but other than that, its strictly the 870.

I'd hate to see all the birds in one pile that thing has killed.

WH,

I dont agree, if you're going to shoot geese, I'd get the 3" and the full choke. I've shot clear up to F shot with mine and had no trouble with it. I found the perfect shot size for Canada geese was either T shot or BBB. I killed lots of geese at some pretty darn amazing ranges with T's and BBB. I used exclusively 1's and 2's for ducks. For pass-shooting snow geese, I found either 1's or BB's worked the best and I shot some snow geese that I was leading 10-12 feet...

I dont know if I just found the exception, but my 870 seems to like steel shot really well.

You will need to mike the wall thickness of the tube. Per remington, over 0.080" it's made for steel shot. All remington barrels made since 1976(IIRC) should be safe.

All I know is my 870 would put 100% of the pattern in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards using T's out of a 2 3/4 inch shell, with the improved cylinder choke tube. That's an extra extra full choke pattern from an improved cylinder choke. Which is why I said a full choke isn't necessary. My preference on the shot size is BBB's for geese, and 1's for ducks. Unless the ducks are mostly wigeons/teal/pintails, then 2's or 3's are good. But then, I really don't hunt waterfowl anymore. Too many people around here and not enough ducks. Not like it used to be...

The harder the shot, the tighter the pattern. Magnum lead shot shoots tighter than chilled lead shot. And steel shoots tighter still. If you ever mike the I.D. of them steel safe choke tube marked full you will seen that instead of 0.025" constriction needed for a full choke shooting lead, it will run 0.018" to 0.022"

I've shot an 870 for about 15 yrs and used modified for all but the last 2yrs. Now I have switched to full for geese. I shoot bbbs and love it. I get better knock down at farther ranges that I did with the modified and less wounded geese. This has been only my experience, and my opinion. I think full is a better choice. I shoot modified and 4s for pheasant in steel and love the results. Pattern the different chokes and see which one works for you. I'm glad to have switched to full but results could be different for you. HAPPY HUNTING :)

i have a 870 wingmaster 30" full choke that i have been shooting steel out of for years ..i havent had any problems with it

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=44744920

The above link is to a gun auction site and a 12ga 870 Express magnum. The auction ends in less than an hour. The gun up for auction in the link has one bid for $150. It has a 29" barrel (I'm not sure they even make a 29"?) and choke tubes. You should really hold out for a shotgun with choke tubes. I wouldn't want to hunt grouse with full choke all the time.

A second e-mail asking for more detail recieved this reply

As far as Remington shotgun barrels we only recommend steel shot in current models such as the 870 (introduced in 1950), the 1100 and the 11-87. If these models have a fixed full choke barrel we recommend no larger than #4 steel shot in that barrel.

Obsolete models produced before the 1950's should not be used with steel shot.

I havent heard a dead goose or duck complain about the full choke and T, BBB, BB, 1's, or 2's.

I also havent seen any damage to the barrel or anything...must just be lucky...and I'm not going to follow Remingtons advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back