Yeti GOBOX Collection

Non toxic shot options

mevertsen

I haven't bird hunted in several years. I used to keep a shotgun with me for opportunities that should arise, but just kind of put the shot gun up a few years ago.

I've duck hunted a bit, some 15 years ago.

My dad has a deer tag in an area where I should have an opportunity to walk creeks and jump shoot ducks while he sits a spring or takes a nap (not in the greatest health). ( we saw many ducks on creeks last year in the same geneal area)

I started looking for some non toxic shot and about croaked.

$5 plus per shot?

I looked through my "stash" I have a partial box of Kent number 4 steel, which I paid $14.99 for and that's it.
I have a couple boxes of game loads for when chukar season rolls around.

I'm going to shoot a few of the steel today to get my self back into the gun, but not sure what to look for to buy a couple boxes?

I found some federal blue box number 4 steel for 20.99 on midway.

I just need something for the occasional mallard or gadwal or teal I might run across.

Or do I need to break down for a couple boxes of the good stuff?

Thanks.

3" Federal Speed Shok #4's or #3's and Winchester's Xperts worked well for me for about $15 if you can find them that is.
I've been buying Boss Bismuth shells lately as I was given a Browing A5 12 gauge that can't shoot modern steel, those run at about $35/box of 20, but I've found that the #5 bismuth keeps mallards and pheasants down

Just my $.02 if you're going to occasionally jump shoot ducks on creeks then steel shot is all you really need. You may have to spend an extra shell here and there to anchor a bird but still will be inexpensive.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back