Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Shotgun for my girlfriend

jfinda2

This is proablly been asked 100 times, but im asking again. My girlfriend likes to deer hunt and is currently using an old shotgun her dad gave her, which is an old heavy winchester bird gun. She wants a new one preferbly something I can attach a scope to, light weight, shorter than a 28in barrel for slugs. I am also going to start taking her duck hunting with me, Any recomendations for a 20ga shotgun that has interchangeable barrels for duck and deer? Pump v. Semi, etc? I was looking at a remington combo but not sure if anyone has had better luck with anything else?

Depending what your budget is, the Remington 20 ga. Combo or even the mossberg 20 ga. Combo would be hard to beat for starters. I’m not sure if either come drilled and taped for a rail already, but probably your best bet for multi purpose setup.

With shotguns, especially for women, you need to make sure whatever shotgun you’re looking at, has plenty of adjustments to fit her. Take her to a good shop and let her try as many as you can and let her tell you which one to get her! Even better if you have a handful of friends with different shotguns to try. Just make sure no one is a macho jerk and tries to put a heavy recoiling shell in when she’s not looking. Good luck here, but seriously let her decide.

With shotguns, especially for women, you need to make sure whatever shotgun you’re looking at, has plenty of adjustments to fit her. Take her to a good shop and let her try as many as you can and let her tell you which one to get her! Even better if you have a handful of friends with different shotguns to try. Just make sure no one is a macho jerk and tries to put a heavy recoiling shell in when she’s not looking. Good luck here, but seriously let her decide.
Good advice.

I got my ex a Mossberg 500 bantam in 20 ga. It's the size between a youth and adult. She was 5'6" and petitely built for being that tall, but the shotgun fit her well.

This is great advice. I post this on every thread asking about shotguns for women...don’t automatically go for a youth model. I struggled for years with a youth model 20 ga. and in the end I switched to a full size 12 ga. It made a night and day difference in my shooting. Turned out the youth model was too short and just not proportioned right for me at all. Most adult women have longer arms and necks than kids. Best idea is to take her to one of the big stores that carries lots of models and let her handle as many as possible. She’ll start to get the feel for what she likes and doesn’t like.

If my memory serves me correctly Remington made some shotguns in a “compact” size between the standard size and the JR sizes. I think I ended up with one as I have a 20gauge 870 that seems like it has an inch off my 12gauge versions rather than 2inches off the stock for the junior models. They weren’t explicitly marketed for women, but seemed like that was what it was going for. I believe they made a 7 or 700, 1100, and 870 models in this version.

I went with the Mossberg SA-20 for my wife as it fit her well and she loves it! Takes a little bit to break in, at first it was having a tough time ejecting target loads when we shot clays but it's a charm now.

What part of Illinois are you from? I grew up downstate, and might be able to recommend a decent place to try out a bunch and get the right one.

I personally have an affinity for a Remington 1100, with an aftermarket cantilever-scope mount rifled slug barrel.

This. I actually still like to shoot my brothers 870 youth model that he got as a kid.

I ain’t going to buy one new but I’ve been keeping an eye out for one in pawn shops for running with my squirrel dog.

Depending what your budget is, the Remington 20 ga. Combo or even the mossberg 20 ga. Combo would be hard to beat for starters. I’m not sure if either come drilled and taped for a rail already, but probably your best bet for multi purpose setup.
This pretty much sums it up, but if you have a little more of a budget or want something different than the norm, take a look at the Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight with barrel combos: https://ithacagun.com/product/model-37-featherlight/

Browning Micro Midas BPS.
It has adjustments for length of pull and you can buy a slug barrel later if you want to.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back