shortest shot on a big game animal?

That is an awesome bull! Nice hat😉
Thanks, that Delta hat has been on quite a few good days. It ended up getting a little bloody after I had taken it off while quartering that bull and rolled him over onto the bill. Pretty musky now but carrying memories of an epic solo hunt.

This still needs to be confirmed by a dependable source, but "Hear Say" is my nephew popped a 160#ish pig at about 6 inches. Story goes that Tim was sitting back against an Oak and the pig just was scarfing up acorns along it's way right up to him. 30/30 in the snout. I'm yet to be convinced.
count the nostrils. If there's more than 2 he's being honest....LOL

I have taken several whitetail inches from the barrel. I used to hunt a swamp that had a real tight pinch point. It was down to one trail at that point. We cut a area out enough to sit on a bucket and sit beside the trail, it was thick enough you could hear them coming through from 10 yards away.

One of my top 3 archery bucks was taken on a super cold morning 12-15yrs ago. It was brutally cold out, actual temps better than -30f but it still seemed like a better option than attending that mornings college courses. Due to the cold I chose to forgo the treestand and nestle into a line of hay bales on the ground. I was between 2 rows of tightly lined bales when a buck approached from the side of one row of bales, walking within a foot of the bales as he approached. I was knelt down between the bales at full draw. as he stepped into view I released the arrow, and the bow shook/shocked my hold arm like no other. I actually thought the bow had broke due to the cold. The buck ran a ways and tipped over. In hindsight, I'm almost 100% sure the shock was due to the arrow hitting the deer before it was off the string. I wish I had a picture of this buck.

I'm a terrible bow hunter and haven't ever killed any big game with a bow. So my closest kill was about 20 yards with a rifle, it was a wounded buck laying out in a tiny bit of brush in a harvested bean field. Someone had shot him in a front leg and in the ass, sucks to have a tag a shot up deer but it's the right thing to do.
I have taken a wounded animal more than once. Usually those go into hamburger and sausages but I would not let one go by either without finishing it off. If I have no tag, I call a game warden.

Fur hunting I called a grey fox into about 2 or 3 feet. I shot him at 35yards after he made me.

I shot a whitetail doe at about 5 yards one time. Not a real exciting story. She snuck up on me because my hearing is horrible, and I shot her basically straight down from my stand.

I didn’t kill any but was close enough to poke them with my arrow. It was a perfect day to still hunt through the cedars.
5019D3FD-3146-40BA-8747-A859B59DC706.jpeg
D87FC582-76D1-484F-A028-DB4ECDB86574.jpeg
this little one ran right up on me, less than seven yards so he seemed big.
DD48D088-633E-4C03-9FD5-D1E10972AFE4.jpeg
My biggest deer up until this season, belly crawled up to less than 30yds.
18C26040-BD8C-4849-BB3A-8A5F9877960A.jpeg
I’ve killed lots of hogs at contact distance but it’s hard to sort though the pics and remember. Touched a few with the muzzle of my barrel, those hunts can get a bit hairy.

When I was a Teenager I was walking in with my bow saw a whitetail doe coming down the trail to me stepped off the trail behind a tree and waited for it to pass as soon as it’s came past the tree I shot ended up hitting it where the spine meets the skull dropping it instantly which was a miracle Because I was excited and shaking all over the place Even knocked the arrow off the rest a time or two I couldn’t see it when I was behind the tree so just guessed when I should draw worried it would see me turned out I drew little to early and could barely hold it back by the time it cleared the tree the shot ended up being less tha 5 ft

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTLifer
Back