Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Shooting an Intruder

ll tell them once I’m there and armed. If that doesn’t prompt them to leave, I assume they mean to kill me first if they can
Pretty much sums it up. Like hunting wife said if your rummaging thru things out in the garage or barn that's one thing. If your making your way down the hall where my kids sleep I really not interested in knowing if you mean harm or not. Too late.

People who say they will kill someone without blinking an eye have no idea the psychological impact it will have on them, right or wrong. Killing someone in self defense will hopefully always be the right and legal thing to do, but it has serious consequences, I dont care who you are.

The Castle Doctrine MAY provide you with immunity from criminal prosecution. However, it does NOT provide you with civil immunity. Something to keep in mind. You may not spend time in orange, but you may be bankrupt.

Very few situations are made better by adding firearms.

I'm not surprised by, but often roll my eyes at the number of dirty harry's out there that seem to be almost wishing for an opportunity to kill an intruder.

Denver had 56 murders last year, in 25% of these the murderer was the victims spouse.

Nationwide the CDC found that from 2003-2014 55% of female murder victims were killed by an intimate partner.

The CDC also found that 86% of female victims of assault were assaulted by their intimate partner.

As far as being murdered or assaulted my wife is statistically far more likely to be assaulted or murdered by me, than by someone breaking into our home.

Statistically I'm probably going to die from cancer or in a car accident.

Therefore,

I'm going to strive to be a good spouse and work on healthy communication with my wife.

I'm going to focus my attention on driving safely and living a healthy lifestyle as much as possible.

I'm going to store my firearms safely, under lock and key.

No one is going to watch their family being attacked and not defend them.

I’m certain that the statistics bear out your statement.....though it is well known that statistics can be and often are misrepresented. Especially if sourced by our government.

I’ve lost 3 close personal friends that were murdered....4, if you count the wife of one. I will not state that if they were armed, their murders would have been prevented. However, being armed and being situation vigilant may have given them a chance. As a footnote: these were not people that were living a questionable lifestyle. The husband and wife, both “very” senior citizens” were grilling in their backyard on a Sunday afternoon. They were kidnapped and murdered by an individual escaping a drug deal gone bad, and needed a vehicle. Another “senior citizen” friend was murdered in front of his wife and granddaughter. The third and final, a young man that I had known for most of my young (at the time) life, worked with him on his grandfathers ranch/farm, and was in Boy Scouts with him. He was working at a fast food restaurant, putting himself through seminary.....was going to be a minister! He was murdered at closing time for a few dollars.

After losing close friends, and having the knowledge of what many people (non-human) are capable of....I will not hesitate to take someone’s life protecting my family, my friends, or myself. If someone enters my home uninvited, I will assume the worst....and he or she will be dealt with as such.

Also, I saved two friends of mine from likely severe injury possibly death, without firing a shot! However the 4 armed subjects, didn’t question whether or not I would use the firearm I had. You don’t always have to fire the weapon, merely the presence of a firearm will deter further escalation of violence!
If having a firearm readily available puts me at an elevated risk......I’ll take my chances! However, I see the invited intruder as the individual “at risk”! memtb

Last edited:
Lots of big talk on here, but I personally would have a tough time pulling the trigger. They are breaking and entering, I get that but at the end of the day they are human too. If they were just stealing stuff I wouldn't shoot. If they were trying something more menacing I would with a heavy heart. I personally don't want to ever be in that situation because I think it would mess me up mentally for a long time.

Not to mention, that far too often that "intruder" is a family member/friend coming over unexpectedly or a drunk who showed up at the wrong house. From the sounds of most of you, you'd end up shooting the poor SOB for mistaking your house for his, or your friend for showing up without due notice. Try living with yourself after that one, I could not and that's why I would always give the benefit of the doubt before pulling that trigger.
That's why God made door locks and flashlights.That's also why you identify the threat before pulling the trigger and not shooting all willly nilly into the cold dark night.

In my personal case, someone forcibly comes into my home, day or night, when I am home, my belief is they are armed and intent on doing me severe bodily harm. I have run people off before here in the city and at my place in the country, so that's different. You are correct though that people have negligently shot family members and friends, it's crazy stuff.

I’m certain that the statistics bear out your statement.....though it is well known that statistics can be and often are misrepresented. Especially if sourced by our government.

I’ve lost 3 close personal friends that were murdered....4, if you count the wife of one.

First off, sorry to hear about your friends... nothing I type is going to do any justice to loss of the individuals.

The point I was attempting to make was not that murders, home invasions, and assaults don't happen but rather the numbers of those incident are not as large as the potential negatives of having unsecured easily accessible firearms and/or that there are more pertinent threats to your loved ones.

I love hunting, I'm aware the statistically having that gun in my home makes my family much more at risk than not having one. That's a choice I've made and have to live with.

We all have to weigh risk, I'm not condemning you for your stance, that you have thoughtfully taken based on your life experience.

There are plenty of potential threats to your life and family out there, and it's up to each individual to decide which ones to focus on. Honestly, I like the castle doctrine a lot and I believe individuals should have a right to defend themselves in their homes.

At the same time most people are going to die from heart disease and should spend money on a gym pass and time working out and learning to eat healthy not on firearms and shooting range fees.

^ I'm aware that sounds flippant, and is very hypocritical... we as a society just have so many bigger fish to fry.

If somebody was in my house, they would quickly absorb eight 230grn starfires unless they surrendered immediately. I've been a Probation and Parole Officer for about 17 years. Been through a lot training and was a firearms and use of force instructor for a time. I'd like to think I'd show restraint if the intruder was willing to show their hands and comply, but they'd better do it fast. I will not be thinking about castle doctrine or liability when my family's lives are potentially at stake.

And my wife is very handy with a gun, has a concealed handgun permit. I believe she'd be a force to be reckoned with if she felt the kids were in danger.

This is assuming my boxer doesn't get to the intruder first. He's getting old, but he is very protective of my wife and kids.

The Castle Doctrine MAY provide you with immunity from criminal prosecution. However, it does NOT provide you with civil immunity. Something to keep in mind. You may not spend time in orange, but you may be bankrupt.
Yep. When I took my CCW class, the District Attorney pretty much guaranteed some kind of civil lawsuit after taking a life. Whether or not you were in the parameters of the law. He suggested not talking except to say you were in fear for your life, then request an attorney. That being said, if my life, or the life of my loved ones are threatened, I'll do what I have to do. mtmuley

Very few situations are made better by adding firearms.

I'm not surprised by, but often roll my eyes at the number of dirty harry's out there that seem to be almost wishing for an opportunity to kill an intruder.

Denver had 56 murders last year, in 25% of these the murderer was the victims spouse.

Nationwide the CDC found that from 2003-2014 55% of female murder victims were killed by an intimate partner.

The CDC also found that 86% of female victims of assault were assaulted by their intimate partner.

As far as being murdered or assaulted my wife is statistically far more likely to be assaulted or murdered by me, than by someone breaking into our home.

Statistically I'm probably going to die from cancer or in a car accident.

Therefore,

I'm going to strive to be a good spouse and work on healthy communication with my wife.

I'm going to focus my attention on driving safely and living a healthy lifestyle as much as possible.

I'm going to store my firearms safely, under lock and key.

No one is going to watch their family being attacked and not defend them.
Europe is talking intruders and you are putting up 2A arguements of an anti gun type

So does Montana, but sometimes it doesn't work like ya think.

There is always that risk. In Wyoming though, a number of cases where I thought it was outright murder, the DA declined to prosecute because of Wyoming's castle doctrine. There is always that hot shot prosecutor that thinks they can beat the doctrine.

In reality though, I would not shoot merely to protect my property, but if I thought my wife was in danger at all or if the person made threatening moves I would absolutely shoot. That is if my dogs didn't take care of the person first

Anytime shit goes sideways and they’re trying to get you in trouble for something your best bet is to shut up and break out that retainer fee for the lawyer.
Learned it from watching the first 48.
DouglasR
Every single time. "I feared for my life, I want to talk to my lawyer " is all that should come out of your mouth after a shooting.

Best to refrain from comment as if you get in a similar situation any lawyer worth their price will dig up all of your online comments. Happened to a friend in a non-similar case.

I have to wonder about that. Online comments about defending yourself in your own home shouldn't be taken as premeditated ANYTHING. You have no way of knowing if or when anyone would ever break in while you were at home. Again, robbery without a weapon I'm not shooting. Weapon and not turning tail when confronted, buh-bye. Would it screw up my life mentally and legally? Maybe. But I would be around to talk about it. Not really liking the alternative too much.

Europe is talking intruders and you are putting up 2A arguements of an anti gun type

I can certainly see the similarities, I’m just trying to articulate why I don’t keep guns for protection, or see the necessity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back