Caribou Gear

Shooting an Intruder

I have to wonder about that. Online comments about defending yourself in your own home shouldn't be taken as premeditated ANYTHING. You have no way of knowing if or when anyone would ever break in while you were at home. Again, robbery without a weapon I'm not shooting. Weapon and not turning tail when confronted, buh-bye. Would it screw up my life mentally and legally? Maybe. But I would be around to talk about it. Not really liking the alternative too much.
if I am ever in a situation where I must take a life to defend mine or a loved ones , the legal ramifications are gonna be the last thing I am worried about.

self defense ,is not murder but better to sit in jail, then bury your wife or child because you did nothing.
better to be judged by twelve then carried by six!

I can certainly see the similarities, I’m just trying to articulate why I don’t keep guns for protection, or see the necessity.
That's fine if you feel that way. Me, I don't have the same faith in humanity as you do. I've only had one instance where I thought I needed my weapon for protection. Thank God it didn't go that way. I guess it's not necessary.... Until it is. mtmuley

That's fine if you feel that way. Me, I don't have the same faith in humanity as you do. I've only had one instance where I thought I needed my weapon for protection. Thank God it didn't go that way. I guess it's not necessary.... Until it is. mtmuley

I probably right there with you on faith in humanity and with Ben Lamb/Thanos on willingness to eliminate people... but I am all about using the data at your disposal to allocate resources and make decisions.

I probably right there with you on faith in humanity and with Ben Lamb/Thanos on willingness to eliminate people... but I am all about using the data at your disposal to allocate resources and make decisions.
With you. It's up to me to process said data and make a decision on whether or not to use the resource. mtmuley

I have no problem with anybody defending their family or themselves against an individual who may do them harm or is in their home. It's a basic human right to protect what is yours and to protect those around you.
To quote Lonesome Dove one of the best movies ever made I think Gus said it best...
“You know how it works, Jake. You ride with the outlaw, you die with the outlaw. Sorry, you crossed the line"

It's up to me to process said data and make a decision on whether or not to use the resource. mtmuley

Yep. I have a wife and three daughters who are too young to defend themselves, if someone with bad intent entered my home there would not be a whole lot of dialogue before I made big decisions.

Lots of big talk on here, but I personally would have a tough time pulling the trigger. They are breaking and entering, I get that but at the end of the day they are human too. If they were just stealing stuff I wouldn't shoot. If they were trying something more menacing I would with a heavy heart. I personally don't want to ever be in that situation because I think it would mess me up mentally for a long time.

Not to mention, that far too often that "intruder" is a family member/friend coming over unexpectedly or a drunk who showed up at the wrong house. From the sounds of most of you, you'd end up shooting the poor SOB for mistaking your house for his, or your friend for showing up without due notice. Try living with yourself after that one, I could not and that's why I would always give the benefit of the doubt before pulling that trigger.

A family friend or a drunk would be outside pounding on my door. No INSIDE my home, which would be an intruder.

People who say they will kill someone without blinking an eye have no idea the psychological impact it will have on them, right or wrong.

Wrong.

I sure do. I don't think anyone is claiming they'll enjoy it. It's probably a $25k bill even if the outcome is in your favor.

For those that fear or oppose having a firearm for home defense, using statistical data as the deciding factor.... I’d much rather risk having a firearm, than the “bad guy” having the “only” firearm.That said, unless one has superior martial arts shills, one or more attackers with knives, clubs, or physical superiority will determine the fate of you and your family! Though, to each his/her own! JMO. memtb

A family friend or a drunk would be outside pounding on my door. No INSIDE my home, which would be an intruder.
One of many examples, your assumption is wrong and would lead to this story exactly:

Another:

Do I need to continue?

Wrong.

I sure do. I don't think anyone is claiming they'll enjoy it. It's probably a $25k bill even if the outcome is in your favor.
If you've never been in the situation where you had to draw a weapon on someone then you cant truly understand. You will not just start blasting away, time will slow down, your mind will have a thousand thoughts pass through it as you assess everything that is going on. It's not as simple as there's someone in my house, let me shoot them. You will "blink an eye", just in a calm, calculating manner. This is probably dependent on what type of training you've had though as well.

Had a dude break in and point a gun at me when I lived alone. I fled and he took some of my stuff. Now that I have a family I would shoot and kill someone. I would hate to do this and feel terrible. I'd feel sorry for the person. But I'd empty the magazine nonetheless.

Hard to think under duress but emptying the magazine is NOT the smartest thing to do if it isn't necessary.

Like @memtb, I too have used a gun to stop an attack. In this case, it was 4 meth heads, one with an ax, beating and robbing a guy and a woman, after blinding them with bear spray. The presence of the gun was enough to make them run. I know how it would have went, if the ax came toward me.

Coming into my house would be a problem for anyone who tried. I would give anyone there an opportunity to leave quickly with my pistol trained on their center mass. If they chose not to leave immediately, I would take that as a clear and present threat to both myself and my family's lives. I would have zero problem quickly and completely eliminating the threat. No sleep lost and then deal with any legal issues. Far better than being a victim!

My wife would ultimately protect herself, but I think she would have a hard time dealing with the aftermath.

If you are a person that breaks into other peoples homes or threatens them in the streets, be prepared for the consequences of choosing the wrong person. The simple solution is to not be a criminal, but too many people don't choose that option. No sympathy for them at all.

While my stuff may not be worth dying for a criminal should also feel that my stuff is not worth dying for.

My in laws have some farmer neighbors that lived their whole lives, never owning a gun. They have a strong mormon faith and think everybody is well meaning. 4 or so years ago, during the middle of haying,(they had a lot of undeposited cash from hay sales) their home was invaded at gun point, they were beaten tied up and robbed of everything of value they owned and left for dead. They did survive.
They bought a gun. Another neighbor down the road didn’t learn, and about 6 months ago went unarmed to investigate someone rustling around at night. He was pepper sprayed by an intruder, beaten and robbed as well.
My in laws have had their house burglarized twice when they were not home.
This all happened in a small farming town.
When I was a kid, I met a few times, the man that killed Wayne Nance. If ‘To kill and To Kill Again’ can’t convince someone to own a gun for self defense in the home, I don’t know what could.

Hard to think under duress but emptying the magazine is NOT the smartest thing to do if it isn't necessary.
Care to explain? In the very rare instance when any shot would need to be fired, I would keep shooting until they were not moving at all. Its not like hunting were you take one shot so you don't ruin what you want to eat.

I like to think I would not hesitate to protect myself or family. But when sh!t hits the fan I can’t answer that with certainty.

When I took the ccw permit class one thing that has stuck with me was that no matter if you are justified or not to shoot someone he bad guy has a person who thinks they are not a bad person and will try to sue you. So be prepared to spend time and money, possibly lots of both, to clear your name.

Any family member of the deceased can file a wrongful death suit against you. Even if you win the cost to fight it won't be cheap.

Without a doubt any threat of serious bodily injury or death will instantly result in a dead intruder. Threat level / use of force... I don't escalate with a firearm though it is ready if I need to protect self or any other.

Care to explain? In the very rare instance when any shot would need to be fired, I would keep shooting until they were not moving at all. Its not like hunting were you take one shot so you don't ruin what you want to eat.

A prosecutor would likely use it to try to prove that you intended to kill him. Same way with handloads, esp. with hollow point bullets. best to use factory ammo in self defense weapons; at least that's what's generally advised. Shoot until the threat is ended would be better. If the person is down but can be approached and neutralized with no more firing that would be best. Of course it's always easy to talk one way or another until the moment of truth arrives. Hope I never have to find out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back