PEAX Equipment

Shooting an Intruder

Europe

Interesting comments on the mother/wife defends family with an AR 15 thread.

If someone broke into your home and was stealing your possessions, and endangering your family

Could you/would you shoot them ?

Could/would your wife shoot them ? ( or husband since we have a few female members )

I have had or have men in my family, who have served in the military and in law enforcement. When I ask them about taking the live of another human being, albeit, in the line of duty, their answers were not as clear cut as one might expect..

damn right ,I would .

only a fool would take it lightly and it would give me no joy but if some dirtbag was threatening me or my loved ones lives ,it is a no brainer ,I would do anything in my power to end that threat.

I would shoot em dead and not lose a minute of sleep over it.

My wife would shoot em dead and start crying.

My 19 year old Daughter would try to have a conversation with them about their childhood and determine how they arrived at this lifestyle.

My 17 year old daughter would likely shoot them dead with her 7mm RM loaded with 168 vlds and smile while she tossed the remaining pieces of their corpses through a wood chipper.

My 14 year old daughter would likely reach for the only gun she’s comfortable shooting the AR-15 and if it was anything like antelope season more then likely they intruder would just be scared away.

My 10 year old would shoot out their eyes with her pellet gun and repeatedly kick em in the nuts as her older sister had advised.

Last edited:
I think many people don't really put enough thought into self defense.

If you shoot somebody, right, wrong or indifferent, it might be the best decision you could have made, but it will still be a bad choice.

In VA the law is clear, there has to be a threat to your life or the lives of another. Stealing possessions is not justification and will get you in prison quickly. I believe there's a much bigger gray area for women on this than men.

No problemo with defending myself. I do know actions have unhappy results in many cases. I do know I will not put myself in a situation that I will go to jail for self defense against some idiot & I could avoid the stituation in the first place. Then again some beg for a lesson............

Interesting comments on the mother/wife defends family with an AR 15 thread.

If someone broke into your home and was stealing your possessions, and endangering your family

Could you/would you shoot them ?

Could/would your wife shoot them ? ( or husband since we have a few female members )

I have had or have men in my family, who have served in the military and in law enforcement. When I ask them about taking the live of another human being, albeit, in the line of duty, their answers were not as clear cut as one might expect..

I do not think it would be an issue for either of us. You may call us paranoid, but we try to stay in the “Yellow Zone”.....situational awareness! Being quite rural, we depend upon each other. The police response time, while likely quick.....would probably not be quick enough. We have “ready”firearms in most every room, and when watching (distracted) television we have (his and hers) handguns within easy “arms reach”!
Should someone attempt a “home invasion” (not likely)....there could be serious consequences! memtb

Depends on the situation. Imminent threat? No question, I'd defend myself and family. But if I can get myself and family into a safe position and call police I will do that. I dont like running into unknown situations guns blazing. That's how people end up shooting loved ones.

My girlfriend and I got robbed at gunpoint in downtown Memphis a few years back. Several manly men lamented that I didnt have a gun to protect us. But in that situation where there was a group of them I probably would have had to engage in a gunfight with several young boys risking myself and my girlfriend, not to mention the political fallout if successful. IMO, it worked out better by being able to hand over some money and walk away. It's easy to talk about how you'd spit beechnut in some dude's eye until you're in that situation.

I believe where I live that you go to jail if you kill an intruder. Not like colorado where you can shoot an intruder no questions asked. I wish we were like that. Keeps things simple and makes intruders think twice.

Had a dude break in and point a gun at me when I lived alone. I fled and he took some of my stuff. Now that I have a family I would shoot and kill someone. I would hate to do this and feel terrible. I'd feel sorry for the person. But I'd empty the magazine nonetheless.

Also I could care less if it's legal or not. I'll protect my family if they.'re truly in danger and let the attorneys figure out the rest. With that being said there is probably a non violent alternative 9 out of 10 times and I'll always try that first

Coming into my house would be a problem for anyone who tried. I would give anyone there an opportunity to leave quickly with my pistol trained on their center mass. If they chose not to leave immediately, I would take that as a clear and present threat to both myself and my family's lives. I would have zero problem quickly and completely eliminating the threat. No sleep lost and then deal with any legal issues. Far better than being a victim!

My wife would ultimately protect herself, but I think she would have a hard time dealing with the aftermath.

If you are a person that breaks into other peoples homes or threatens them in the streets, be prepared for the consequences of choosing the wrong person. The simple solution is to not be a criminal, but too many people don't choose that option. No sympathy for them at all.

Speaking of Attorneys one day they will dig up this thread and use it against some one. Careful what you give them to use against you

I thought of that before I posted, but am comfortable with everything I wrote. I think any reasonable prosecutor or jury member, using the Reasonable Person Standard, would have zero issue with my response.

If someone is breaking into my house they've made a huge effort. Not like they are just going through a tract housing development looking for someone who forgot to lock a door.
I'll do what I deem necessary to protect my family. 2 weapons in my closet ready for go time.
My wife, she's like the alarm, hears all kinds of strange things and gets me up, but she won't handle a gun.
My 17 y/o can handle the pistol, but not sure about the situation. When she's ready we'll do some CQC training together.
My 14 & 11 y/o could take someone out with their nerf guns.. lol

My 24 y/o lives alone. We spent lots of time in her teens learning to shoot a handgun. She regularly went to the range during college, bought her own pistol at 21 and then got her CCW thereafter. She was a Criminal Justice major, she's pretty up on how to legally defend herself.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back