Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Shoot or Pass?

EliAGrimmett

OK, now, let's assume that you've won the Arizona Super Raffle Antelope Tag and you find the antelope posted below. It's the biggest buck you've seen since you started scouting. What do you do? Do you blast him or pass?

BoomerangFront.jpg

Boomerang.jpg

I shoot him thinking that he will score in the upper 80's net. I have never hunted antelope in any other state than Montana so I'm trigger happy. You've seen and shot bigger I'm sure so save those for me :D He has great mass down low and would rack up some huge numbers with those first few measurements. Tell us what he scored if you ended up taking him. I hope my guess isn't that far off.

BTW thanks for posting these great antelope pictures

Based on my calculations he's over 70", so I shoot!

Oh wait, with the Raffle Tag . . . Yup, still shoot. :D

I can't believe the size of these bucks you're posting. Not being around antelope a ton, these things look unnatural almost.

What do you do? Do you blast him or pass?

Some questions have obvious answers. This would be one of the questions.

I know I would be shooting, but not sure my excitement could be contained to a point where I could hit anything. But, I would be shooting, and without hesitation.

That is a no brainer for me. He looks absolutely huge. Thanks for posting so many great pics.

That's a whopper. I'd probably shoot instantly - but I'm weak that way.

I found some bucks in MT this past weekend. Grass is green and horn is good out east. I hope I draw. Didn't see any that good.. that's for sure. Did see some studs though and a freak I saw last year (that's still too small to take).

I'd be damn happy with any of the bucks you have posted over the last few weeks!!

Did you guys kill that one? I'll throw guesses.. 17.75 length. 14 mass below the prong, 6.5 above, and a 6.75 prong. 90.

Without hesitation that buck would die.

The question I am wondering is would you, Eli, tell a client to shoot it on the first day of a supertag hunt?

Here's the short version of the story:

We were hired by Doc to guide him on the AZ Auction Tag last year. This was one of the biggest bucks we found. Chad Smith had found another buck that he thought was the biggest buck he had found. He showed us photos of his buck and we believed that his buck may have been slightly larger and so we opted to take Chad's buck with Doc last year instead of this one. Doc's buck officially scored 94 4/8 B&C last year.

We then were contacted by the raffle tag hunter. We showed him this buck and explained that we thought the buck was in the 91-92 range and obviously had "THE LOOK" of a world class buck. He chose not to hire us to hunt the buck. He instead wanted to try to find a buck on his own and I believe he was looking for one to score closer to the world record (aren't we all!).

Anyway, no one took this buck last year and we just relocated him this year. Sad story - the buck is way over the hill and in severe decline. He scores maybe 86 this year.

I'm not posting any of this to say the raffle hunter was foolish by any means - trying to do the raffle tag DIY is a perfectly noble endeavor and I applaud him for attempting it. I was just curious as to what the rest of the hunting folks would do.

Obviously I changed the scenario around a little in the original post, but it's similar enough.

smalls: I would have to import my photos into my super computer with all the quantum physics and fancy algorithms to make darn sure the buck was really big enough to shoot. Been burned one too many times by bucks that look super huge but aren't. That is, of course, if we had been "hired". If I was just tagging along for free and helping then, by all means, SHOOT NOW!

Kurt: I'd say in an overall sense that your score is pretty close to ours.

Last edited:
Words of wisdom to you young whippersnappers from an old fart:
"One should never pass on any animal five minutes into a hunt that one would settle for any time on last day of one's hunt!"

BTW, I wud have kilt that Pronghorn in either pic pose without seeking advice...second pose wud be a little harder shot but it wud have been fatal!!

Last edited:
I agree with Tom! I learned this lesson the hard way, hopefully it made me a smarter hunter! I would have pulled the trigger!! Outstanding buck!

Back