Caribou Gear Tarp

Shoot First and Ask Questions Later...and Radios

jmveverka

Just thought I would post an interesting situation from this weekend. I took my son hunting in Pennsylvania back at the family property - more on that later. Buck is still in and it was the first day of the regular rifle antlerless season. It was late morning and we were going to head out to give my son a break and to warm up his toes some, when we heard some chatter coming over our walkie talkies. Apparently a couple of guys on the next property over (same square of woods with no roads or fences between) were on the same channel as we were, probably just a couple hundred yards away. Sounded like a father and a couple of grown sons.

Anyway, the guys checked on where their dad was sitting over the radio, and said that they were coming and would do a push through the woods toward him. A couple of minutes later they speak through the radio "Four deer coming at you, one is a buck". 30 seconds later a shot and a follow-up rang out. We listened in as a couple of eavesdroppers because, why not. We continue to head out on the trail and soon more chatter.

Dad: "Steven did you find it."
Steven: "Yeah I've got him"
Dad: "Are we ok"
Steven: "No"

What does that mean you ask? Well Pennsylvania is an antler restricted state. Bucks have to have "3 up" on one side, not counting the brow tines to be legal. Either an eastern 7-point or better, or a 5 with no brows. This gentleman, clearly and older experienced hunter, disregarded the most basic premise of verifying your target and shot when he saw antlers with no hesitation. He also clearly recognized that he should not come right out and say that over the radio by the way he worded it. Not knowing exactly where they are, who they are, and not having any say over access on that property, we were certainly not going to do anything about it. But I could not pass the opportunity. So I radioed to them.

Me: "You know you probably ought to call the warden and tell them about your illegal buck harvest"
Them: "What was that"
Me: "You need to call the warden about that illegal buck"
a few seconds pass...
Them: "We agree"

And it was radio silence from then on. Who knows what they did with it. I hope they did the right thing and recovered the deer and called the CPO. In all likelihood they would have left it lay, but maybe just knowing that there is someone else out there listening, and possibly watching for all they knew, would have made them do the right thing. I doubt it will be a "lesson" to them to verify the target since they were seasoned hunters, but probably a lesson to be more discreet on an open radio. I hope they thought I was the warden.

Hopefully they thought you were a warden listening in to the radio conversations and did the right thing. Now that being said I'm not sure about PA but in MN communicating about animal movement is illegal. I couldn't text my dad and let him know he has 3 deer coming towards him. But again I don't know PA laws. Hopefully they did the right thing.

In all likelihood they would have left it lay, but maybe just knowing that there is someone else out there listening, and possibly watching for all they knew, would have made them do the right thing. I doubt it will be a "lesson" to them to verify the target since they were seasoned hunters, but probably a lesson to be more discreet on an open radio. I hope they thought I was the warden.

What makes you think that in all likelihood they would have not reported?

Doesn't have enough of an interest in the game laws to verify if a buck is legal or not..... Has enough interest in following the law to self-report when he finds out the buck he didn't verify as legal is illegal........ Toss those two around for a while and tell me your conclusion of whether he followed through or not.

Hopefully they thought you were a warden listening in to the radio conversations and did the right thing. Now that being said I'm not sure about PA but in MN communicating about animal movement is illegal. I couldn't text my dad and let him know he has 3 deer coming towards him. But again I don't know PA laws. Hopefully they did the right thing.
Yes it is illegal to alert someone to live game using electronic devices. That being said, it is done a lot with deer and bear drives in PA.

Doesn't have enough of an interest in the game laws to verify if a buck is legal or not..... Has enough interest in following the law to self-report when he finds out the buck he didn't verify as legal is illegal........ Toss those two around for a while and tell me your conclusion of whether he followed through or not.
One man pulled the trigger, two more men where there to help guide him in the right direction after an inexcusable action. I am more confident, that at least one of the three will do whats right, than not.

One man pulled the trigger, two more men where there to help guide him in the right direction after an inexcusable action. I am more confident, that at least one of the three will do whats right, than not.
You mean the two men that illegally used electronic communications to notify the shooter that an illegal buck was coming towards him?

I'm struggling to understand why you didn't report it.

I'm struggling to understand why you didn't report it.
Don't know the who, or where (knew general location, not exact spot). Also this is private land in a small town. Not trying to raise a ruccus or cause bad blood. We try to take care of conflicts on our own and in return want the neighbors to do the same and stay on their side of the line. Just wanted them to know that someone knew...No need to involve law enforcement on one of the busiest hunting days of the year.

Don't know the who, or where (knew general location, not exact spot). Also this is private land in a small town. Not trying to raise a ruccus or cause bad blood. We try to take care of conflicts on our own and in return want the neighbors to do the same and stay on their side of the line. Just wanted them to know that someone knew...No need to involve law enforcement on one of the busiest hunting days of the year.
In your defense, what could you have done honestly? Say your radio has a 20 mile range. So there's a 40 mile wide circle on where these guys could be. One game warden isn't going to be able to find them, 4 or 5 probably couldn't even find them. If the people on the other end of the radio were going to be honest they will. Telling the wardens wouldn't have done anything honestly. There's not enough man power (on the busiest day) to try and find these guys (assuming they weren't honest people).

So, you're pretty sure they illegally shot a deer, they were illegally using radios, and you wanted to "let them know". But, you'll put it on the internet.

Got it.
Because I thought it was an interesting story and a lesson that when you think you are alone, you never know who could be watching or listening. Sorry the actions taken do not live up to your standard.

Because I thought it was an interesting story and a lesson that when you think you are alone, you never know who could be watching or listening. Sorry the actions taken do not live up to your standard.

Hey, if you're fine with it, knock yourself out. By ignoring it, you're condoning and perpetuating it.

I hope they did the right thing

This is a two way street in my book.

Hey, if you're fine with it, knock yourself out. By ignoring it, you're condoning and perpetuating it.

This is a two way street in my book.
Confronting them in the only way he had means to do was likely far more effective than calling a warden and saying some guys somewhere did something. Not sure why you're dumping on somebody who did nothing illegal and acted in what was likely the most effective way. In the range of his radios there were likely close to 1000 people hunting. Maybe more. Truthfully not sure if that would be considered illegal use of the radios unless a location of the animal was given. Saying there heading your way is close but I doubt it's enforceable if the guy stayed on stand.

Confronting them in the only way he had means to do was likely far more effective than calling a warden and saying some guys somewhere did something. Not sure why you're dumping on somebody who did nothing illegal and acted in what was likely the most effective way.

The "most effective way" is entirely based upon assumptions. I didn't say he didn't anything illegal, and he said himself they were on the neighboring property. I just find it odd someone puts it on the internet but doesn't report it because they don't want to "raise a ruckus or create bad blood". Me, I'll call the game warden and give them the opportunity to do with it what they may or can. But, that's just me. YMMV.

When PA first implemented these laws it included the brow tine and it was to have 4 on a side....

I found no BS 50 dead bucks that year that had been left to rot in the woods that were not legal. 50 is a low estimate probably. It was sickening.

I am in favor of antler restrictions. But I am not in favor of leaving deer lying in the woods to rot.

Also, letting someone know that deer are coming by the means of a radio is illegal and the game commission in PA 100% listens to all bands of Motorola on their scanners. I ASSURE you of that.

Back