Shelter-in-place cooking

Carnitas street tacos from leftover pork shoulder that I smoked last weekend. Seared it in its own fat in a cast iron skillet to make it crispy, poured in some ginger beer so it wouldn’t be too dry, and loaded it into some tortillas with cotija cheese, chopped jalapeños, onions and cilantro and some avocado slices. .

008D9808-9336-43C7-A5E5-1E857389A9E5.jpeg

Been helping a friend kill and process some pigs. Last week I brought home about 5 lbs of great, quality fat. I dont grind much deer meat (none at all last year) but decided to grind a pound of stew meat with a little of the fat for deerburger steaks. Sautéed some onion in the pan drippings, roasted some potatoes, and fixed some peas.

Attachments

• 20210309_182909.jpg
    20210309_182909.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
My first attempt at making flour tortillas. The flavor is good but the texture is not quite right. Gonna try a different recipe that calls for baking powder, my original recipe didn't.

0314211343-00.jpg

My first attempt at making flour tortillas. The flavor is good but the texture is not quite right. Gonna try a different recipe that calls for baking powder, my original recipe didn't.

View attachment 177276

first time i tried flour tortillas the texture was also not right. I think once you mix everything up and make the balls, they ought to sit a while longer in the fridge before pressing them and cooking than i let them. maybe even a few hours, all i did was 30 minutes. I don't know if that was potentially your problem though.

really need to let the gluten set up

first time i tried flour tortillas the texture was also not right. I think once you mix everything up and make the balls, they ought to sit a while longer in the fridge before pressing them and cooking than i let them. maybe even a few hours, all i did was 30 minutes. I don't know if that was potentially your problem though.

really need to let the gluten set up
I did let the dough sit for about 25 minutes then another 25 minutes after forming the balls of dough. My mom used to let it sit for about 1/2 an hour.
I'm thinking it's the lack of baking powder. I looked on you-tube and the old Mexican ladies used a little baking powder.

Back