Shelter-in-place cooking

Tags are filled, coyote calling was a bust so I decided to cook. Antelope shanks braised in broth and chokecherry wine with garlic and sage.

View attachment 161939

Mule deer heart anticuchos. New recipe to me. If you like chipotle and roasted red peppers, you have to try this. This marinade would be fabulous as a sauce. Need to experiment further.

View attachment 161940

plus one on wondering how you went about those anticuchos

i see lots of anticucho recipes online, but, yours visually look better than anything i've looked at yet

Recipe please! Looks amazing.
I used Hank Shaw’s from the Buck Buck Moose book. This is more or less the same, but I used chipotles in adobo for the chilies. Marinated for about 4 hours. Tenderized the meat beforehand, but it was almost too much. Probably could have done without that step.

I used Hank Shaw’s from the Buck Buck Moose book. This is more or less the same, but I used chipotles in adobo for the chilies. Marinated for about 4 hours. Tenderized the meat beforehand, but it was almost too much. Probably could have done without that step.

ah snap. I have that book

now I feel silly

Our daughter turned 11 and this is her favorite dish. Hank's Swedish Meatballs, with elk (her fav). We were out of ground Elk, so I boned out the last remaining shoulder roast. She has reminded me consistently for the last couple of months that we had to have some elk meat for her dinner.

Did some home-made noodles as we had left-over egg yolks (from making buttercream frosting of course).

QXb4kBK.jpg

Tried something new tonight. I’ve got a “virtual holiday dinner” tomorrow with my team at work. The vote winning recipe for everyone to make is a pasta dish. I’m fat and trying to lose some weight via lowering my carb intake, so pasta presented a problem. I’d heard of “spaghetti squash”, but never really looked into what it really was or how you make it. So I did that today and made it for dinner tonight. So easy, really good, and less than 300 calories for 1/2 a squash (which was more than filling).

All I did was cut it in half, clean out the inside like you would cantaloupe, coat the inside with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and then bake it open side down on a cookie sheet at 400 for 35 mins. When it’s done, you just rake it with a fork and it essentially becomes pasta. Tonight I just put olive oil with garlic, rosemary and oregano over it and finished it with some grated Parmesan. Tomorrow I’ll be doing a venison tomato sauce on it. Definitely something I’ll be doing more of in the future. Can’t believe I’ve gone 55 years without discovering this!

Extra bonus is you can eat it right out of the skin and save on dishes :) .

F698E733-A66E-4592-8DEB-49A32682CEB4.jpeg

Tried something new tonight. I’ve got a “virtual holiday dinner” tomorrow with my team at work. The vote winning recipe for everyone to make is a pasta dish. I’m fat and trying to lose some weight via lowering my carb intake, so pasta presented a problem. I’d heard of “spaghetti squash”, but never really looked into what it really was or how you make it. So I did that today and made it for dinner tonight. So easy, really good, and less than 300 calories for 1/2 a squash (which was more than filling).

All I did was cut it in half, clean out the inside like you would cantaloupe, coat the inside with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and then bake it open side down on a cookie sheet at 400 for 35 mins. When it’s done, you just rake it with a fork and it essentially becomes pasta. Tonight I just put olive oil with garlic, rosemary and oregano over it and finished it with some grated Parmesan. Tomorrow I’ll be doing a venison tomato sauce on it. Definitely something I’ll be doing more of in the future. Can’t believe I’ve gone 55 years without discovering this!

View attachment 166491
Yep. One of my favorites. mtmuley

View attachment 166491
I’ve found that poking a few holes in the skin side helps when cooking them. We use spaghetti squash noodles a lot. Also make noodles out of zucchini.

Stole @Gellar 's idea and made my version of deer shank Philly Cheese steak! Definitely easier than making Ossobuco. The wife loved it and thought I was a genius of thinking of that, I felt guilty after a while so told her I'd gotten the idea off of HT. Now I wish I had more shanks in the freezer...

Crockpot shanks with beef stock, water, carrots, onion, celery and LOTS of garlic;

z7vtSiS.jpg

Fry some onions and peppers in olive oil then mix in meat;

ODzQxMx.jpg

aGRBL3p.jpg

Finally reduce the stock I cooked the shanks in to make jus/dip and plate with the kids' KD because I am a man-child at heart!

nUErnc7.jpg

View attachment 166491

My wife and I tried the spaghetti squash thing a couple of times. It may look like spaghetti but it tastes NOTHING like pasta.
She tried to have us eat it as the main dish like you would an actual plate of spaghetti. No thanks.
I don't mind eating it as a side dish like the vegetable it is but I refuse to eat as the main dish.

Prepped the chili's and meat for Tamales to be made Christmas Eve day. Been cooking my entire adult life and think I'm pretty good. Some of you guys have true talents that make me feel like I am barely above Kraft Mac and Cheese in a box.

Back