Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Shelter-in-place cooking

Sorry....I'm fat and I was hungry so I didn't get a pic of dinner...

Chunked elk backstrap with sliced mushroomed tossed in olive oil and garlic and cooked 4 minutes in the air fryer, then stirred up and cooked another 2 minutes. A couple of jalapeno poppers, and some air fryer fried potatoes. You can't see it, but it was yummy...

Corned Elk Round and Cabbage with homemade horseradish mustard sauce and gluten free biscuits.

I used Hank Shaw’s brine recipe with a few small changes. I never deviate from his water/salt/sugar/cure ratios as those are important. However, I use a pickling spice mix that I bought in bulk when I was on a pickling kick. Instead of measuring out all the different spices, I just used about 5tbl of the pickling spice and I double the garlic.

Even though it was a smaller roast I still gave it 6 days in the brine. I think a longer soak yields a better product. I also add butter to the cooking liquid since the elk is so lean. It makes a big difference on the veggies.

The sauce is just grated horseradish, sour cream, course mustard, garlic powder, mustard powder, mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

Attachments

• 0214D7CC-EBFA-44FB-B767-15195D6EB6E1.jpeg
    0214D7CC-EBFA-44FB-B767-15195D6EB6E1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 266DC286-42E3-4BBE-A48B-B078620FC409.jpeg
    266DC286-42E3-4BBE-A48B-B078620FC409.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
Corned Elk Round and Cabbage with homemade horseradish mustard sauce and gluten free biscuits.

I used Hank Shaw’s brine recipe with a few small changes. I never deviate from his water/salt/sugar/cure ratios as those are important. However, I use a pickling spice mix that I bought in bulk when I was on a pickling kick. Instead of measuring out all the different spices, I just used about 5tbl of the pickling spice and I double the garlic.

Even though it was a smaller roast I still gave it 6 days in the brine. I think a longer soak yields a better product. I also add butter to the cooking liquid since the elk is so lean. It makes a big difference on the veggies.

The sauce is just grated horseradish, sour cream, course mustard, garlic powder, mustard powder, mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Looks awesome! How bout your gluten free biscuit recipe? Wife is celiac and She misses biscuits something fierce!

I took a whole deer shoulder (minus the shank) and smoked it on Monday. Smoked for 4 hours then covered and cooked at 160 for 8 hours. A little on the dry side but good flavor and beautiful color. Then got a wild hair to do BBQ pulled meat with it.

Yesterday took the meat off the bone and added it and the little bit of juice from pan into the crock pot with sweet baby rays, Memphis stick fingers, and peppers. After a few hours it seems as if it was dry meat boiling or close to boiling in liquidy sauce. Added some jelly but only a minor help.

Yesterday evening we were discussing the flavor. My gf suggested making a roux to help thicken it up so I made a small roux. WOW!! Completed fixing everything! Gave it a rich thick flavor on the sweet side with a little kick. I cut up and added more peppers because I’d almost prefer a piece of pepper with every bite.

It went from a cooking disappointment to one of the best BBQ pulled meat I’ve eaten. A Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan paired very well with it.
711695A9-4E0C-48B7-A767-9E8A2F7E36A9.jpeg

Pamela's GF Biscuit Mix is pretty good. However, America's Test Kitchen has a cookbook called "How Can it Be Gluten Free" and i think there are two volumes. It has been an absolute game changer in our house. Cushman is correct, if you swap one to one with GF flours, the recipes usually don't turn out great. the ATK recipes are adjusted to make them actually turn out like a standard recipe. That being said, their biscuit recipe is worth the cost of the cookbook as is the buttermilk pancake recipe.

Chili with the last of the white tail tonight. It's Wednesday, our "COVID Pandemic Movie Night". We keep saying that every Wednesday with the caveat that "Soon we won't be able to say that!".

20200328_171942.jpg

Deer shanks and gravy over rice last night. Planning to smoke a beef rib roast today if I don't get blown away outside!
Looks great, I did a similar looking dish with WT shoulder last Sunday. So good.

Pamela's GF Biscuit Mix is pretty good. However, America's Test Kitchen has a cookbook called "How Can it Be Gluten Free" and i think there are two volumes. It has been an absolute game changer in our house. Cushman is correct, if you swap one to one with GF flours, the recipes usually don't turn out great. the ATK recipes are adjusted to make them actually turn out like a standard recipe. That being said, their biscuit recipe is worth the cost of the cookbook as is the buttermilk pancake recipe.
Love the test kitchen but damned if they ain’t sharing anything for free ( I don’t blame them though,cuz their stuff is solid!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back