Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Shell Holder

Rooster52

Anyone ever grind the shell holder down a little to get more full length resizing?
Even after full length resizing the brass ,my Browning 300 WSM bolt closes kind of hard.

I'd try anothe set of dies, or cast the chamber to see what's going on.

Not sure I understand the die setup remarks? Do you mean screwing the die in farther?

You might also try another brand of she'll holder.

Anyone ever grind the shell holder down a little to get more full length resizing?
Even after full length resizing the brass ,my Browning 300 WSM bolt closes kind of hard.

After lots of frustration, with one of my AR's not closing all the way, I did just this and it has 100 percent solved my issues.

I've seen RCBS dies with RCBS shell holder not knock the shoulder back at all even when the throw is camed over extremely hard. This was only on one set of dies. I would get a shoulder gauge and check to see if it is being knocked back. How is the over all length?

I'd try anothe set of dies, or cast the chamber to see what's going on.

Not sure I understand the die setup remarks? Do you mean screwing the die in farther?

You might also try another brand of she'll holder.

Yes. Dealt with this last night. If you're not trimmed to length and paying attention, some cases will not size correctly and you get difficult chambering. It's a great way to solve the issue without spending more money on dies or chamber casts.

No, im not. I know I should for AR's. The shell holder on the belt sander for a couple seconds took care of the problem though.

This is quite common if you have reloaded for many different rifles. Generally speaking a shell holder base should be .125" thick - some are - some aren't. I guess I wouldn't recommend going at a shell holder with a grinder but if it worked - so be it. You can take it to any reputable gunsmith and he can trim it down a few thousandths in a lathe in a matter of minutes and it will be uniform and square.

Keep in mind that your shell holder base is now thinner if you go to using it for another rifle or caliber. You may want to mark it with some finger nail polish or something to give you a reminder. A new shell holder is cheap so you could just disignate this modified shell holder to that rifle.

Another way that is very common is to take your sizing die to a lathe and trim the base a few thousanths if you only load for 1 rifle of that caliber.

Anyway this happens all the time and I find it mostly on belted magnum cartridges that have numerous firings on the brass already due to the fact that most people still think belted mag brass needs to be resized off the belt rather than the shoulder.

Going to pull bullets today and check for case length. These were once fired brass out of my rifle.If the length is good and everything looks right I will check them in my rifle before loading them. We will see?

Going to pull bullets today and check for case length. These were once fired brass out of my rifle.If the length is good and everything looks right I will check them in my rifle before loading them. We will see?

try resizing one of them. Pull the bullet, dump the powder, back the spindle out of the sizing die so you don't punch out the primer and fiddle with the setting. As I said, cheaper and easier than grinding away at the shell holder or ordering the Redding ones.

running the ram up and down full length sizing the brass 3-4 times per brass and giving the thebrass a quarter turn each time helped my tight bolt.They chamber perfect and bolt works like it should.Before I go hunting I will chamber each round to make sure though.Might be the die problem but this works .

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back