Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sheila Jackson Lee Sponsors Gun Grab

Personally, I own no guns but it would seem to me, if no one applied they would have nothing to do. Instant no bail release, closed prisons and releasing everyone from open prisons.

Just more moronic Democrackhead nonthinking.

If they used laws on the books, in a timely fashion it would be criminal control. There would be no reason for gun control.

Gun free zones are just an invite to criminals.

Some of the people that are against this are for the banning of trail cams. Think about that.

I was upset when the Conservatives up here did away with our national long gun registry (ARs and handguns are still registered). As long as we already had it in place and had that expense out of the way, why not leave it? Made my guns a helluva lot more secure. Even in the field the game wardens checked for both licenses (hunting and federal firearms) and registration. No registration and the guns were confiscated immediately till ownership was verified. Did it stop violent crime? Well, nothing will so that's a moot point. Did it help? Probably to some extent. But it sure made my guns more difficult for criminals to steal and do anything with them. So yeah, I liked it and was happy to pay the nominal registration fees. Did not affect my ability to own or use my guns in any way. What's the problem? "The govt knows you have guns." So what?

I was upset when the Conservatives up here did away with our national long gun registry (ARs and handguns are still registered). As long as we already had it in place and had that expense out of the way, why not leave it? Made my guns a helluva lot more secure. Even in the field the game wardens checked for both licenses (hunting and federal firearms) and registration. No registration and the guns were confiscated immediately till ownership was verified. Did it stop violent crime? Well, nothing will so that's a moot point. Did it help? Probably to some extent. But it sure made my guns more difficult for criminals to steal and do anything with them. So yeah, I liked it and was happy to pay the nominal registration fees. Did not affect my ability to own or use my guns in any way. What's the problem? "The govt knows you have guns." So what?
I'm honestly curious. How did that stop a crook from hooking your gun, goin out and capping someone, wipe it down, now your the prime suspect. This is not sarcasm or any kind of attack on you. I'm truly curious.

Oh Canada!

I'm honestly curious. How did that stop a crook from hooking your gun, goin out and capping someone, wipe it down, now your the prime suspect. This is not sarcasm or any kind of attack on you. I'm truly curious.

Maybe if you report the gun as stolen, before the crook has capped anyone, the cops will not consider you the prime suspect.

Obviously, if my gun gets stolen I report it. In fact, it's the law that I MUST report it ... or risk going to jail. So if my stolen gun is reported and then turns up involved in a violent crime, I'm not a suspect. And I will get my gun back once the cops and courts are finished with it ... because they will know who to return it to.

Last edited:
Obviously, if my gun gets stolen I report it. In fact, it's the law that I MUST report it ... or risk going to jail. So if my stolen gun is reported and then turns up involved in a violent crime, I'm not a suspect. And I will get my gun back once the cops and courts are finished with it.
Obviously gun ownership in the US is polarizing, even to the point that people get hot under the collar talking to other gun owners on a hunting forum.

I appreciate you sharing your experience owning firearms under a different regulatory system.

Obviously, if my gun gets stolen I report it. In fact, it's the law that I MUST report it ... or risk going to jail. So if my stolen gun is reported and then turns up involved in a violent crime, I'm not a suspect. And I will get my gun back once the cops and courts are finished with it.
I get that brother, i would do the same thing.
I dont understand how registration would have an advantage on the situation. Being the US has no registration on longguns....Pa. anyway.

Being cynical, I can't believe I still wouldn't be a person of interest.

Since it was, or if, reported prior to the crime, I would also demand my weapon back and expect it returned.

none of them like you. On either side of the isle. They’re all lying, cheating, stealing, criminals that couldn’t care less what you think.
Agreed but I’d like to hear it from you. Which clowns are trying to severely limit your firearms freedom? Hint it’s one word answer.

I must respectfully, disagree with OntarioHunter. When Canada passed the Firearms Law in the mid '90s, I jumped through the hoops and obtained my Canadian Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) just as Canadian residents possessing firearms were supposed to do. I drove the 45 minutes to Montreal, paid $78.00, and sat through what was basically the same hunter Ed type class that I had been teaching for years. That landed me the Nonrestricted Firearms license for basic long guns, the ability to possess, buy or sell them, and the ability to purchase ammo. I returned the Montreal a month later, paid $78.00, sat through pretty much the same course, and obtained my permit to buy, sell and possess Restricted Firearms - some handguns. I then paid another fee, and registered all the firearms my wife and I hunt with in Canada. I maintain my PAL to this day. At the time, the temporary firearm possession permit issued to nonCanadian folks (60 days) would not allow for purchasing of ammo.

The original price tag for the implementation of the Gun Registry was estimated by the Canadian Government to be $2,000,000.00 By 2004, nearly $1,230,000,000.00 had been spent. The one million dollar computer system blossomed into 750 million, and still did not work very well. The Nonrestricted Firearms Registry was ended on April 5, 2012. Obviously the law was overly costly, and really didn't amount to much, or the law wouldn't have been scraped.

I worked with Wardens in several Provinces. Those officers I had conversations with (both field guys and supervisors) paid no attention to the Federal Gun law when checking sportsmen, neither resident or nonresident. Many of my friends and contacts across Canada never registered their guns.

When the registry for long guns was scraped, all of the data and information related to those registrations was wiped clean. Quebec challenged the destruction of records, and lost. The registry was a very costly failure.

I get that brother, i would do the same thing.
I dont understand how registration would have an advantage on the situation. Being the US has no registration on longguns....Pa. anyway.

Being cynical, I can't believe I still wouldn't be a person of interest.

Since it was, or if, reported prior to the crime, I would also demand my weapon back and expect it returned.
As I explained above, someone who possessed my stolen gun and didn't have registration for it would AUTOMATICALLY be a "person of interest" if checked. And the gun goes AUTOMATICALLY into possession of peace officer. Game wardens here are very often not in cell range to run a check on gun serial numbers. Even if they are, would they have the time to check every number on every gun encountered? Do you want to have to stop hunting while they do? Of course not. Carry your registration and off you go. Of course anyone who has committed an offense of any sort will have his registration checked against the registry. Did the long gun registry make gun theft impossible? Of course not. Just more difficult. And that got a thumbs up from this gun owner.

Also, when a registered gun owner becomes a danger to others or himself, with the registry the cops knew what guns to go get. Doctors were obligated to notify the authorities if their patient became mentally unstable. Those confiscated guns are typically relocated to another family member. Similarly, guys who beat up on their wives will lose their guns, at least temporarily. Domestic violence accounts for a huge component of gun crime. Again, with the registry the cops knew what guns to look for. If those guns suddenly become "lost" or "stolen" when the cops show up for them, the offender will receive a second more serious federal firearms citation that can result in long term loss of gun ownership privileges. Boo hoo! Similarly, the gun registry made it easier to round up the guns of someone who commits a first time felony ... because the authorities instantly knew what (if any) long guns the offender legally owned. None of us legitimate gun owners want them in the hands of people who are proven to be unfit. The registry helped do that. It wasn't a cure. There is no cure. But it HELPED make life safer and we all SHOULD want that.

Last edited:
As I explained above, someone who possessed my stolen gun and didn't have registration for it would AUTOMATICALLY be a "person of interest" if checked. And the gun goes AUTOMATICALLY into possession of peace officer. Game wardens here are very often not in cell range to run a check on gun serial numbers. Even if they are, would they have the time to check every number on every gun encountered? Do you want to have to stop hunting while they do? Of course not. Carry your registration and off you go. Of course anyone who has committed an offense of any sort will have his registration checked against the registry. Did the long gun registry make gun theft impossible? Of course not. Just more difficult. And that got a thumbs up from this gun owner.

Also, when a registered gun owner becomes a danger to others or himself, with the registry the cops knew what guns to go get. Doctors were obligated to notify the authorities if their patient became mentally unstable. Those confiscated guns are typically relocated to another family member. Similarly, guys who beat up on their wives will lose their guns, at least temporarily. Domestic violence accounts for a huge component of gun crime. Again, with the registry the cops knew what guns to look for. If those guns suddenly become "lost" or "stolen" when the cops show up for them, the offender will receive a second more serious federal firearms citation that can result in long term loss of gun ownership privileges. Boo hoo! Similarly, the gun registry made it easier to round up the guns of someone who commits a first time felony ... because the authorities instantly knew what (if any) long guns the offender owned. None of us legitimate gun owners want them in the hands of people who are proven to be unfit. The registry helped do that. It wasn't a cure. There is no cure. But it HELPED make life safer and we all SHOULD want that.
I think there are logical arguments for and against lots of laws, I can see your logic. To the subject at hand, this law would be more restrictive than anything Canada passed, and while an interesting data point Canada's implementation is a poor comparison to the US as comparatively Canadians don't own that many guns; 4x less per capita, and 30x less in total number.

Also give the porosity of our boarders it would surprise me if a rifle stolen in Ontario was then sold at a pawn shop in Florida 2 weeks later.

Great thread. Oh and for those that don't realize this, prohibition had nothing to do with eliminating the consumption of alcohol. It was the justification for it but the real goal was to eliminate alcohol as a fuel source thus allowing the oil industry to monopolize the fuel industry. It worked out pretty well for the oil industry.

I can see some type of parallel used for gun control.

Luckily legislation like what was proposed will probably die unless it gets buried in COVID relief legislation and then it would be found and removed.

Great thread. Oh and for those that don't realize this, prohibition had nothing to do with eliminating the consumption of alcohol. It was the justification for it but the real goal was to eliminate alcohol as a fuel source thus allowing the oil industry to monopolize the fuel industry. It worked out pretty well for the oil industry.

I can see some type of parallel used for gun control.

Luckily legislation like what was proposed will probably die unless it gets buried in COVID relief legislation and then it would be found and removed.
The whole Rockefeller thing is an urban legend. He was a teetotaler his entire life and by 1920 was 80 and very much in the "what's my legacy" stage of his life and his wife was a leader in the temperance movement.

If there were some people in it for economic reasons, I'm sure it was more the sugar/rum industry than oil industry.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back