Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sheila Jackson Lee Sponsors Gun Grab

The whole Rockefeller thing is an urban legend. He was a teetotaler his entire life and by 1920 was 80 and very much in the "what's my legacy" stage of his life and his wife was a leader in the temperance movement.

If there were some people in it for economic reasons, I'm sure it was more the sugar/rum industry than oil industry.
Not so much Rockefeller, Standard Oil had already been split up but speakeasy establishments were not heavily raided where alcohol was consumed, but moonshiners that were producing primarily to use for fuel were the evil of society. Supposedly the vilification of pot was done to help preserve the lumber industry, to keep hemp from becoming a cheaper source for producing paper.

I have seen debates go both ways. I do know the Henry Ford regretted stopping the production of "flex" fuel vehicles, a decision he made as a result of prohibition.

Great thread. Oh and for those that don't realize this, prohibition had nothing to do with eliminating the consumption of alcohol. It was the justification for it but the real goal was to eliminate alcohol as a fuel source thus allowing the oil industry to monopolize the fuel industry. It worked out pretty well for the oil industry.

I can see some type of parallel used for gun control.

Luckily legislation like what was proposed will probably die unless it gets buried in COVID relief legislation and then it would be found and removed.
An oil company conspiracy? What kind of revisionist history have you been reading? That's a new one on me and I have a PhD in resource business history. Temperance movement preceded the development of internal combustion engines by at least a hundred years.

Prohibition was one component of the populist movement of early 20th century: FFDA (food and drugs), Sherman Anti Trust Act, Organic Act, Women Vote, etc.

Last edited:
An oil company conspiracy? What kind of revisionist history have you been reading? That's a new one on me and I have a PhD in resource business history. Temperance movement preceded the development of internal combustion engines by at least a hundred years.

Prohibition was one component of the populist movement of early 20th century: FFDA (food and drugs), Sherman Anti Trust Act, Organic Act, Women Vote, etc.
1929 Prohibition not the early 19th century attempt in the US. Conspiracy aside, a side effect of prohibition was the possible elimination of alcohol as a fuel source. But I digress.

Focusing back to the topic, I am finding when I search for ammo that seems stores (chains) that don't have ammo in other states do have it in CA. Is this because of the odd laws about being able to buy ammo there or that more is simply being shipped there? I have been curious about that.

In regards to the bill it does seem to have a ton of class discrimination. Heavy fees, make it impossible for the average Joe to own firearms, especially "military style" ones.

Not so much Rockefeller, Standard Oil had already been split up but speakeasy establishments were not heavily raided where alcohol was consumed, but moonshiners that were producing primarily to use for fuel were the evil of society. Supposedly the vilification of pot was done to help preserve the lumber industry, to keep hemp from becoming a cheaper source for producing paper.

I have seen debates go both ways. I do know the Henry Ford regretted stopping the production of "flex" fuel vehicles, a decision he made as a result of prohibition.
1929 Prohibition not the early 19th century attempt in the US. Conspiracy aside, a side effect of prohibition was the possible elimination of alcohol as a fuel source. But I digress.

He's the actual text of the law.

1612217709056.png
1612217726033.png
1612217741962.png
1612217754788.png

I just read the text of H.R. 127 and I have a few questions:

1. If passed wouldn’t this have a disparate impact on minorities, as may have been alluded to in prior posts?

2. If passed, would anyone under the age of 21 who wanted to hunt have to use a bow only?

3. If passed, would anyone be interested in a 4” S&W 500? I wouldn’t be surprised if the basis for the 50 cal ban is the number of people Nate Romanowski shot with his Freedom Arms revolver in 500 Wyoming Express. Hopefully, Rep. Lee doesn’t read the earlier books where Nate used a 454 Casull.

4. To better protect our citizens, why don’t we have a law that requires prospective candidates for the House of Representative, prior filing for office, to:

(II) undergoe a psychological evaluation conducted in accordance with paragraph (2), and the evaluation does not indicate that the individual is psychologically unsuited to propose rational legislation;...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back