Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Share your efforts getting new people into hunting!

I’ve enjoyed being a Hunter’s Ed instructor. I’ve taken a couple of friends out who expressed an interest in hunting, and have helped a lot of people learn to field dress and process animals. I’m willing to do more, but out here most people have family who hunts so there aren’t that many people looking for mentors.

Bunch of different experiences. Helped a buddy from Boston who had never held a gun progress to regularly shoot sporting clays with some relish. Got him out in the field and got him his first pheasant - no interest in hunting after that but still shoots clays. Have a cousin whose dad was not a hunter but who had a lot of interest out pheasant, deer and pronghorn hunting and he and his daughter are now annual regulars for both upland and big game trips, have a son who is all in - taught him the traditional way, a daughter who is all in on hunting camp and the stalk but doesn't like to shot, a second daughter who refuses to have anything to do with guns or hunting, but was the best natural shotgun wingshooter of the three. A bunch of different folks I have helped find and setup guns, gear etc that would work for them. Taught gun safety to many. Always willing to spend time with somebody who wants to learn.

A co-worker’s husband passed away a few years back and he hunted a lot. Their son was about 10 at the time, but they didn’t have many other folks in their circle that hunted. I organized a bunch of co-workers to each take turns helping him get through hunters safety. After he passed we threw a little party and all chipped in for some gear.

That spring a few of us took him out turkey hunting. I had one for him inside 20 yards but he just couldn’t get comfortable with the shot. I learned a few things from that experience. He ended up striking out on turkeys that spring.

I was pretty bummed about the turkeys so I got him after some deer that fall. I think it was our second sit, and finally, at last light a deer stepped out. He made a great shot on a 4 pointer with his dad’s rifle.

075C9ED4-1972-434B-ABA5-C286B3AE45C0.jpeg

Year two was more of he same with turkeys. Deer in the other hand . . .

02A0916E-E3EC-4B0C-AFF0-D4D12085293C.jpeg

Please excuse the crappy screenshot, but I got the whole thing on video and that turned out amazing.

Last edited:
When I was a youth pastor, I did a lot of fishing and squirrel hunting since that's what most of the guys were interested in. Had some good times. It's funny to see how each of them continued or didn't continue in the outdoors. I was always reminded of the dog training advice I heard for squirrel dogs: "You've got to figure out whether you want to train the dog or hunt squirrels, because you can't do both." It could be really frustrating to keep telling them to sit still or stop stomping through the woods, but I still talk to some of them and they talk about those times.

I teach 2 hunters Ed classes each year 1 is open to the public while the other is part of the curriculum at the junior high. Between the 2 classes there is usually about 125 students. Unfortunately Covid-19 has taken the school class away for this year. I also help with a youth mentored pheasant hunt put on by our local PF class.

Great thread! I took an anti hunter duck hunting several years ago. It was actually his pond. While he did not hunt he wanted to know more about hunting and harvesting as he confessed he only knew the “anti” side. I am not well versed and not a real conversationalist to begin with but one thing I said was is I know exactly where I get my meat from and that I do have a bit of remorse and great respect for the animal I harvest. I show that I am thankful for the bounty and also thankful I have the freedom to hunt. His mind was changed at that moment. I did end up with a brace of mallards and a wood duck. After the hunt I cleaned them up and cooked for him. Deep fried naked nuggets in peanut oil with a pinch of salt and pepper not quite medium rare. He crushed the plate. While out we also saw a popular tree fall over across the pond. I told him it was probably a beaver finishing off a tree. Sure enough and he was stoked that stuff like that could be observed while out in the marsh. He now hunts with his daughter over a spread of old decoys I had laying around.

Great thread! I took an anti hunter duck hunting several years ago. It was actually his pond. While he did not hunt he wanted to know more about hunting and harvesting as he confessed he only knew the “anti” side. I am not well versed and not a real conversationalist to begin with but one thing I said was is I know exactly where I get my meat from and that I do have a bit of remorse and great respect for the animal I harvest. I show that I am thankful for the bounty and also thankful I have the freedom to hunt. His mind was changed at that moment. I did end up with a brace of mallards and a wood duck. After the hunt I cleaned them up and cooked for him. Deep fried naked nuggets in peanut oil with a pinch of salt and pepper not quite medium rare. He crushed the plate. While out we also saw a popular tree fall over across the pond. I told him it was probably a beaver finishing off a tree. Sure enough and he was stoked that stuff like that could be observed while out in the marsh. He now hunts with his daughter over a spread of old decoys I had laying around.
That's pretty cool!

Some amazing efforts getting others out. Great examples! Not many do things as part of an organization. That surprises me.

There are two ideas that I really want to invest in this year. First, continue working with the school district. There is sooo much opportunity to get our kids interested in the outdoors and some of it is SO easy. For example, talk to a science teacher about trail cams at the school. Go buy some trail cameras (which are pretty darn cheap now) and hang them up behind a school if they have any natural areas. If not, find a local land owner (that should be easy). Any conservation club worth its water should spring for the cash to do that. That teacher can then use the pictures to get kids excited about the natural world. How easy is that? We have cameras up behind 2 schools currently and are planning on more.

Second, I want to start a gear library for families to check out outdoor gear. Pretty much any outdoor activity, if one if forced to start from scratch, is expensive to try. But if people could check out a GPS for geocaching, camping equipment to spend a night at the local park, fishing equipment to try that out, etc, it removes a barrier to their entry. Removing those barriers is so important.

I have other initiatives that need to happen locally as well, but thought I would share these 2 for now.

I have helped a few of my friends who are now my primary hunting partners get into archery hunting. I set 2 of them up in some of my best spots and was with them when they got their first deer with a bow.

I introduced someone to turkey hunting a couple years ago and they have become quite successful now and get a bird each spring.

I always give away all my old hunting gear and clothes to guys that I am trying to get into hunting if they choose. I figure if it lessens upfront cost they might be more willing.
My main flintlock hunting partners all started due to my grandpa introducing them to it years ago. They were with me when he was attempting to show me the ropes and it obviously peaked their interest as well. We have been all hunting together for years now.
I think I enjoy taking others hunting now more than I do myself. I’m not afraid to show people my spots or set them up for success if possible. Hunting became much more enjoyable for me once I started taking that approach.

My latest endeavor has been with my 4 year old daughter. She has shown an interest since she was 2 and has accompanied me on a few hunts. She saw her first deer get shot this year and helped during the entire process right down to the butchering and wrapping. She really enjoys it and it makes me smile to do that with her.
1586542248207.jpeg

I’ve been a hunter ed instructor for 22 years now.

I’ve helped here and there with organized events, but often run into scheduling issues.

As I was reading this I started thinking of how my dad would take a jeep cherokee full of my buddys ground hog hunting and fishing a few times a week during the summers when we were off from school. No calls to other parents for permission we would just be there waiting when he got home from work and off we went. Those were the days.

Besides my kids (which I think should be gimme's) and besides being a part of a local sportsman's assoc. that does youth hunting events, I person have taken three new hunters out. Always for chukars. I wanted something that we'd see, we could talk, and evolved some exercise. I may not have picked the best hunt though, as none of them have really turned into "hunters" they come out once or so a year with me still though.

Formally I have gone on a couple of youth/mentor hunts with this organization: https://www.outdoormentors.org/ The organization lines up the youth and finds land to hunt on, the mentors bring some experience and the legal requirements of a mentor.

Informally I've had the honor to be there with "firsts" for friends and my own kids, and now have two soon-to-be sons in law to continue in shooting/hunting. Neither Jeremy or Brett grew up around guns, but both have shown really good hand eye coordination on the clays course. I am looking forward to hunting with them (and the daughters too!!) if they wish.

I am a California Hunter's Education Instructor and help teach a few classes a year in the Sacramento, CA area. I've been teaching hunter's ed for 2 years now and really enjoying watching the kids learn, especially the ones that are really into it. I have also help numerous adult on-set hunters become hunters. Most recently my brother-in-law who at one time a few years ago, no one would have thought he would become a hunter. He was addicted to multiple substances, couldn't hold a job, and could be described pretty much a dirtbag. 7 years ago I picked him up for a hospital stay, which was caused by his most recent bath salt bender. We first went to his house and I took all his drugs and paraphernalia and burned them, then it was on to my farm for farm-hab. We spent the next week mowing the hills, cutting wood, repairing barns and generally working his ass off until he was sober enough to stop uncontrollably shaking from withdrawals. I didn't get him totally clean, but shortly there after he got himself cleaned up and I think farm-hab peeked his interest in the outdoors enough to make him want to clean himself up. Eventually, he found a job and this time it stuck. He has held it down for 5 years and is doing great. This past hunting season (2019) he took his first deer on my farm, a doe with crossbow and has started hunting on his own. This turkey season he came out to California and hunted hard for 7 days and killed 3 birds. The kid has come a long way and is now starting to apply to hunt other western states. I know his family is proud of him and I can hope the kid and I draw a western states elk tag soon, as his back is much stronger and younger than mine....

I have a close friend who really dislikes the act of hunting but likes the idea of it. His sons expressed interest so I offered to take them deer hunting. They each got a deer. One will never hunt again. He didn't have a bad experience. He is just not interested any more. The other brother loves it and has hunted at least one big game animal every year since, usually with me but not always. I've gotten my siblings into it a little. I hunt grouse with my brother once every year. I give my kids every opportunity to hunt and fish with me and try to make it as fun as possible for them. I took my 9-year-old on an antelope/elk camping trip for her birthday (her choice). We got an elk and antelope in two days. The elk was a little too much for her, but she had enough fun on the antelope hunt (some friends joined us) that she wants to do an antelope/grouse hunt for her birthday this year. She is very excited to hunt grouse herself for the first time. For now my, 6-year-old is perfectly content to fish, but he often expresses the desire to hunt small game, particularly squirrels.

I, too, am an adult onset hunter. I was always very interested in big game hunting. Just didn't know anyone to show me the ropes growing up. Once I had kids, I resolved to turn "someday" into "now." At that point in my life, anyone willing give me their time was going to see a lot of return on their investment. People are either interested, or they're not. As an added bonus, bird hunting was not even on my radar, but the handful of WYG&F employees who took me and my family that first season got some serious recruitment bang for their buck. It's still the only kind of hunting my wife is seriously interested in doing herself. Before the season was even over, we got our first Brittany.

Great stories all!

Apparently walking cute Brittany bird dog puppies through suburbia, even during the self distancing, could be a great way to recruit hunters. People stop me constantly and want to know all about how they hunt or tell me stories about how they used to hunt over bird dogs. If only Texas had more good public land or the Lord would hurry up and deliver that mega millions to me, then I could just take all these folks hunting. Bird dogs could save the world! And I really do have a lot of people asking to go on trips that don't hunt, even just want to walk with us and take pictures.

I also have to brag on the Texas Youth Hunting Program, guiding with them helps me satisfy this addiction. One of the primary ways they get new hunters is that a kid gets to go on another hunt if he recruits a first timer. There are whole groups of hunters built from just one kid who years ago invited a friend and so on and so forth. Now we have guides and huntmasters who are the parents of a kid who was invited by another kid. And the outdoor goods stores must love us, cause everybody thinks they need to come with a new 243, camo, snake boots, all of it!

My state BHA chapter is partnering with the USFS and set up some handicap accessible blinds on FS land and we are doing a mobility impaired hunting program. I also mentored 2 new hunters through BHA last fall.

40+ years of helping introduce 35-40 kids per Kid Deer Hunt Weekend to deer hunting thru North Texas Field & Stream....usually with the cook crew not to impede harvest chances. Pretty cool running into now adults who remembered. Also thanks to some very generous landowners who put up with us annually.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back