Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Sell me on some rings

42mm objective, 30mm tube, low rings. Sits a little higher than it would in Talleys, but I use a stock pack/cheekpiece on this rifle so it ended up being right where I want it.

I use a reciever length rail epoxied on, and x-low ARC M-10 rings. I have absolute confidence in the combo and can't see ever changing it.

I have three Tikka currently, they all have sportmatch rings attached to the receiver. Seems like a solid easy set up.

Arizona air rifles is where I bought my last set and they were absolutely fantastic to deal with. Called them up and told them what I wanted, he told me what size I needed and couple days later I got ‘em.

Leupold backcountry seem to work just fine on my 28 Nosler and 6.5 Creedmore

A full rail will give you a ton of linear mounting space for the scope, with direct mounts you're stuck with the scopes mounting space. You can remove and replace the scope in seconds with no shift should you prefer to clean the rifle without the scope on it. Nor does ring alignment depend on screw holes in the action. There is no downside to a rail.

If you want Talleys, just call them and tell them what rifle what scope. 30 sec. My smith said Talley so that's all I use. Sure many others are fine too.

I have three Tikka currently, they all have sportmatch rings attached to the receiver. Seems like a solid easy set up.

Arizona air rifles is where I bought my last set and they were absolutely fantastic to deal with. Called them up and told them what I wanted, he told me what size I needed and couple days later I got ‘em.
I really wanted to try the Sportsmatch on my .308, but couldn’t find them in stock anywhere.

Alright well looks like the crowd has spoken.

Reading the description it sounds like
I won’t need a rail for them?
3 people are the crowd???

Not sure what issues you had with a picitinny rail.
Personally it's my prefered method for mounting a scope.
They have greater adjustability.

I put EGW one piece rail ( usually 20 MOA) along with their low rings.
Fits up to a 50mm objective.
Depending on barrel profile, a 60mm objective is possible.

In a similar situation currently.

Warne, Talley, Sportsmatch all seem to have followers. Stumbled into a post about some new Tikka rings by Unknown Munitions that should be hitting production soon. The have an integrated level that looks promising, but they are proud of them (as they should be!)...

Last edited:
I run Sportsmatch and Mountain Tech Raptor mounts on my Tikkas. I like the recoil lug. With the Tikka receiver having a built in rail, I don't see the need to add a rail or Talleys on top. Unnecessary in my opinion.

Talleys are simple, light, and cheap. I have used them on a couple rifles without issue but Ive seen enough stories of people having them break that I wont be buying any more.

I have put sportsmatch on 3 tikkas and a 4th will get some as soon as its home from the gunsmith. I think they are a better option than talleys for a few reasons.
1. They clamp onto the rail that is machined into the tikka receiver. This plus use of a recoil pin is a stronger connection than just the little screws
2. They offer more flexible options for mounting the scope as you can adjust where they go on the rail. For me, the dedicated spot for the recoil pin in the front portion of the receiver can put the front ring too far forward with some scopes. An alternative is to just use one of the screw holes and a scope base screw as an defacto recoil pin.
3. I believe they are less likely to break than Talleys

Pic rails plus good rings is always a good robust option that allows a lot of scope mounting flexibility. I think its a good idea to bed the rail to the action in many cases. This is my preferred path on actions that don't have a built in rail. It does add some weight and usually its hard to get a scope mounted as low with a pic rail.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back