Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sell me on some rings

I have had bad luck with Talleys for some reason. I like the Leupold backcountry rings.

In a similar situation currently.

Warne, Talley, Sportsmatch all seem to have followers. Stumbled into a post about some new Tikka rings by Unknown Munitions that should be hitting production soon. The have an integrated level that looks promising, but they are proud of them (as they should be!)...

I like the looks of those but these ones are just standard picatinny rings. I did hear they are working on tikka specific ones too which would be sweet but at about 3x + what sportsmatch rings go for.

DNZ are just so easy, but which brand isn't critical as long as you use one of the several best options. Most important is finding the correct height to mate the rifle and scope combination to your head.

I use pic rails because I move scopes around. The extra height works for me because I am, uh, big-brained and so need the height to match up to the sweet spot in my eyeglasses. If I had high cheekbones and perfect vision I would likely find differently.

In a similar situation currently.

Warne, Talley, Sportsmatch all seem to have followers. Stumbled into a post about some new Tikka rings by Unknown Munitions that should be hitting production soon. The have an integrated level that looks promising, but they are proud of them (as they should be!)...

Damn, $195 for a set of scope rings. Ya know what they do is simply hold the scope over the barrel. Not much to tricky about that. Scope rings I get depends on what they look like and how much they cost. had a set of Tasco rings one time. Ugliest things I ever saw but I could afford them. Damned if they didn't do what they were supposed to do!

Sorry, recoil lug sounded like I was talking about the stock. I meant the little post on the bottom of some mounts/bases/picatinny rails, that fit into the one hole on top of the receiver. I got the verbiage from the Mountain Tactical website talking about their picatinny rails:

"The recoil lug is now machined into the rail as one integral system.... This recoil lug absorbs the shearing forces of the mount under recoil instead of the four tiny screws included in most other mounting systems."

Haven't used one, however.
Strange thing. Most the rings I've seen have a bolt through the bottom connecting the sides that slips down into a slot in the base's. Why would you need more?

Strange thing. Most the rings I've seen have a bolt through the bottom connecting the sides that slips down into a slot in the base's. Why would you need more?
Some people like redundancies -- belt and suspenders.

Recently on another forum I saw a guy posted pics of his 338 WM (or something above 300 mag+), where the scope mount screws had sheared off. Rifle was in one hand, scope in the other.

Sounds like over-torqued screws was the reason. But *maybe* if they had a recoil pin, wouldn't have happened. At least not at the range (more likely would have happened later while hunting -- that's usually how it works!)

Because my wife will haul it up a tree by a rope and bang it into the tree at least five times coming and going.
So a manufacutrer should build product's to overcome any and all abuse by the buyer? I have never seen a set of rings fail, never. And I don't like to spend a lot of money on things like that.Someone mentioned a set of rings with the screws sheered off after firing on a 300 something mag rifle. I simply cannot imagine that happening. As i said else where there is a small bolt that holds the rings on that sit in a groove in every set of rings I've ever seen with just a couple exceptions. That would be Redfield and Leupold senior type rings!

Pulling a rifle up a tree by rope and banging the scope into the tree five or so times going up could bother more than the rings but still the rings should hold! My wife would do that one time and get stuck with open sights. No excuse for that!

I have used Talley LW and DNZ mounts but not on a Tikka. I like the DNZ over the Talley mounts. My analogy of them is both are ugly, one skinny and one chunky. Pick one. It's difficult to screw up DNZ mounts. No lapping, no fuss.

I had to add a rail to my Springfield when I upgraded to quick detach rings. Formerly I had Weaver extended rings to get the proper eye relief. No one makes extended QD rings so I changed the Weaver bases for a steel rail. This rail is exactly the same height as the old bases so all I needed was QD rings the same height as the old Weaver extended ones. Be warned: every manufacturer has a different standard for how they size their rings. Medium Talley is not the same height as medium Burris. I found "low" Warne QD rings were just a bit higher than medium Weaver extended rings. That was as close as I could get. The steel rail I ordered from Sarco has a cutout in the middle for loading the magazine. That limits the slots available for adjusting the rings for scope relief but I was still just able to bring my Nikon 3x9 back far enough. A scope with longer tube would be no problem with that rail.

The other advantage to the rail is no worries about the screwholes in receiver being tapped exactly in line (the gunsmith who tapped my WWII rifle didn't get them lined up quite right). With two piece bases you have to worry about the rings lining up. Can be fixed lapping them and/or shimming the bases but a rail pretty much eliminates any issues of misalignment of separate rings (if the rings are identical). My receiver is tapped with four holes, two for each Weaver base, but one screw at each end of the rail is sufficient. Because my base screw holes tapped into receiver were not factory (added by gunsmith later), I had to drill a new hole in the rail to line up with one of the receiver screw holes. Better than drilling and tapping a third hole in forward end of receiver to match the factory hole in rail! A factory rifle should have base mounting screw holes in the receiver that line up with the appropriate rail.
20220711_202302.jpg

I had to add a rail to my Springfield when I upgraded to quick detach rings. Formerly I had Weaver extended rings to get the proper eye relief. No one makes extended QD rings so I changed the Weaver bases for a steel rail. This rail is exactly the same height as the old bases so all I needed was QD rings the same height as the old Weaver extended ones. Be warned: every manufacturer has a different standard for how they size their rings. Medium Talley is not the same height as medium Burris. I found "low" Warne QD rings were just a bit higher than medium Weaver extended rings. That was as close as I could get. The steel rail I ordered from Sarco has a cutout in the middle for loading the magazine. That limits the slots available for adjusting the rings for scope relief but I was still just able to bring my Nikon 3x9 back far enough. A scope with longer tube would be no problem with that rail.

The other advantage to the rail is no worries about the screwholes in receiver being tapped exactly in line (the gunsmith who tapped my WWII rifle didn't get them lined up quite right). With two piece bases you have to worry about the rings lining up. Can be fixed lapping them and/or shimming the bases but a rail pretty much eliminates any issues of misalignment of separate rings (if the rings are identical). My receiver is tapped with four holes, two for each Weaver base, but one screw at each end of the rail is sufficient. Because my base screw holes tapped into receiver were not factory (added by gunsmith later), I had to drill a new hole in the rail to line up with one of the receiver screw holes. Better than drilling and tapping a third hole in forward end of receiver to match the factory hole in rail! A factory rifle should have base mounting screw holes in the receiver that line up with the appropriate rail.
View attachment 267333
Eye's are old and having a hard time seeing that base. looks like a set of vertical Redfield rings on a Redfield Senior base! have that on my 1903 Springfield!

Eye's are old and having a hard time seeing that base. looks like a set of vertical Redfield rings on a Redfield Senior base! have that on my 1903 Springfield!
Click on it, then stretch the image to enlarge. It's an aftermarket rail from Sarco and Warne quick detach rings.

It doesn't matter which brand you go with as long as you get one piece bases/lower rings. Essentially the entire base and lower ring should be one machined part and the top ring. It's 2023, there's just no reason to buy any setup with 5 or so parts for the base, lower ring, bolt, nut, washer etc. Even the twist in loopy rings have no advantages.

I just believe in the keep it simple stupid policy and it's impossible for something with more than one part to be more reliable than something that's one solid part. Plus they look better in my opinion.

All my rifles have Talley rings and I believe my muzzleloader is a DNZ? It was a factory mount on a newer CVA.

Don't care for the look of vertical split rings. As for being economical there are any number of rings on eBay for under $20 -$25 per set.

Last edited:
Don't care for the look of vertical split rings.
If I was really all that worried about my base mounting screws shearing off I'd have a gunsmith drill and tap an extra hole between each of the two that are already there for my Remington 700 actions.

I’ve never had trouble with Leupold or Burris.

I’m a big fan of Burris Signature series.

Back