Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sell me a warm coat

Irrelevant

I'm in need of warm coat for both wearing around town (i.e. kids soccer games) and possibly hunting (not backpacking). It doesn't need to be ultralight weight, or overly packable, nor camo (but not safety neon), nor overly quiet. It does need to be very warm and water/rain resistant, and reasonable priced. All of my down coats are too freakin' cold (probably because I'm too cheap or they're too old), and the one really warm ski coat I have is neon green (I wanted people to find my body after the avy). <$300.

Probably something like the patagonia :eek: snowshot jacket is probably your best bet, I would look for something with 10,000 breathability and synthetic insulation that is going to be the best bang for your buck.

I'm a believer in primaloft. Bought relatively cheap (somewhere under $200) primaloft jacket that has handled everything Wyoming winters has thrown at it and it weighs next to nothing. The brand disappeared a few years ago though.

If u just want an exceedingly warm jacket thats not expensive, look for one by Zero Xposure. I’m donating one as we speak thats about 8 years old (rough shape). Look for one with a removable liner. I moved from New England to North Carolina 3 years ago and havent worn it much at all. Its the only coat that i was never cold in despite some ridiculous winters up there.

I'm in need of warm coat for both wearing around town (i.e. kids soccer games) and possibly hunting (not backpacking). It doesn't need to be ultralight weight, or overly packable, nor camo (but not safety neon), nor overly quiet. It does need to be very warm and water/rain resistant, and reasonable priced. All of my down coats are too freakin' cold (probably because I'm too cheap or they're too old), and the one really warm ski coat I have is neon green (I wanted people to find my body after the avy). <$300.

I just picked this one up for skiing and around town. Really well built. Sign up and they'll kick down a 20-25% off coupon.

Steep and Cheap and Mountain Steals have some really good deals, better than STP IMO..

I like Drake brand clothing when weight is not an issue. I like the MST full zip.

Costco has good down jackets for cheap. Gerry is decent and only $35.

32 Degrees sells cheap (cheap, not inexpensive) down jackets for $30-40. I wear one down to 30 degrees comfortably.

My Trail Co (formerly GoLite before bankruptcy) (soon to be bankrupt again) has THE best down jackets for the money IMO.

I'm a believer in primaloft. Bought relatively cheap (somewhere under $200) primaloft jacket that has handled everything Wyoming winters has thrown at it and it weighs next to nothing. The brand disappeared a few years ago though.
Maybe you mean the brand of jacket, but Primaloft the textile manufacturer is alive and well.
Neffa, hood or no hood?

I bought a Kryptek Lykos jacket on sale and have been impressed with its warmth. My son got one first and I kept watching until they were on sale again, can't remember how much I paid, but it was definitely less than their website shows currently. My only issue was I had to return it and go one size bigger. In full disclosure I'm not getting any smaller :(, but it still seemed to run a size smaller than stated.

I bought a Core4Element Elevation Jacket. Packs super small, super light and incredibly warm.

I've not thrown $$$ at various types of warm backpacking coats though my experience with this coat does all for my interest.
I was tracking some elk way beyond base camp once. Opted to rough it through the night and pulled that coat out, slipped into my thermoliner and I was surprisingly comfortable - considering the situation... Maybe 15-20* at it's coldest.

I love this coat.

It might be more horsepower than you need, but the Eddie Bauer Peak XV is $300. Well regarded on the ice and alpine disciplines considering it's almost always on a sale of some kind. Peak XV

When C4E was on the market... It's likely been 5 years. Not sure where one can be found though if it is, hard to beat. As mentioned though I don't have personal comparisons with other packable down jackets... I know it did and still does the job when needed. Damn... It's a bummer thinking back to when I purchased it... Was a camofire deal. Think I just added a few grey hairs.

right now this might be leading the field: https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/38832451/men's-mountain-ops-down-hooded-jacket?sp=1

Sytes, how long have you had it? I have an old North Face from high school that used to be hella-warm (throw back lingo), but over time it just isn't, that's kinda why I'm liking the idea of synthetic, now that a few people have mentioned it.
That one looks a little more town-ish than the peak xv, which might meet your needs better. The Montbell Thermawraps are a pretty good deal in a synthetic puffy, though nowhere near as warm as the downies of course: Thermawrap Guide

Love my down if it is going to stay below freezing.
Have an expedition parka like GlassEye's that I can wear under my waterfowlers parka for real cold/extreme. I made it in 1974.....& too warm most times.
But my go to is a Cabellas Outfitter Parka that has a syn-suede exterior. Quality down & quiet. On sale was $140 in 2005.
I still wear the Woolrich coat my uncle gave me 40 yrs ago too.
You can find quality down on sale every year they change colors & styles. None of my stuff is neon either

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back