PEAX Equipment

Self mounting antlers only....need help

SFC B

I am getting ready to mount a set of antler (with some skullplate) for my son. Trying this DIY as it wasa cull buck from ourTX hunt. Only a 6 but it is pretty wide (it was 4.5 years per the biologist) so it is a good one to try out. My question is, should I use a kit or just get a plaque and some leather etc from a hobby shop. I have seen some really bad reviews for kits. What do you guys think?

Here is a pic of the antlers and my son with Pikes Peak right behind him.

Attachments

• GEDC0678.JPG
    GEDC0678.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 1,014
Here is a real easy way to do it without a kit. Cut a 1/4 in piece of wood into a oval type shape alitte bigger than the skull plate. Attach the antlers to it with screws. Get paper mache and cover the skull plate and the wood with the mache. Form the mache around the antler burs form the mache into the shape u want.when it starts to stiffen up spray water on it and smooth it out. In about a day when its completely dry clean around the antlers. You can stretch felt,leather,etc around it and staple to the back. You can then attach to a panel..Hope this helps

That is exactly what I was looking for!! I haven't used paper mache in a few decades but that gives me a great place to start.

if your not into wood cutting you can get nice pieces from any hobby shop and stain them yourself..you can use plaster to make a form too and sand it to form..I use felt and tacks ...I've used the kits too it just all depends on what you think is good...prefer the felt myself

Another option, similar to the felt posted above, that I've read about/seen online is to go to the local thrift store and buy a leather jacket. They can often be found CHEAP. Cut and use the leather like the felt to wrap the plaster/mache skull plate. The examples I saw posted looked pretty cool.

This is how I did it. Similar to the previous posts, but I just used extra bondo I had in the garage to get the shape I wanted.

I cut out an oval-ish shape from 3/4" thick 1x4 lumber. Fixed the skull plate to it with 2 drywall screws. Then formed up the desired shape using the bondo.
IMG_0078.jpg

Sanded with a block and medium grit paper, and also used the Dremel.
IMG_0080.jpg

Wrapped with tanned deer leather, and mounted to a nice plaque. I thought the wrapping was the most difficult part, but once you have the right cuts its ok. I had the plaque made for me by a friend with access to woodworking shop. You could buy a kit and chuck everything but the plaque if you wanted. That is how I did my first one years ago.
IMG_0082.jpg

Looks good. I always like to write the date, location and other info on the back of the plaque so my grandkids will have some idea about it after I'm long gone.

Lanetaxidermy has the right idea. You can also use plaster of paris instead of the mache. I like to use pigskin on my antlermounts. Lots of stretch in it, easy to get the wrinkles out. Some people use decorative rope as trim around the bottom of the antlers. I like to use rawhide that I braid around the base of antlers, and also finish around the oval the antlers are mounted to. Piece of cake.

003-4_zps63c5c666.jpg

I did this on a set of my wifes antlers orderd base and skull cover from vandykes for around $25.00.put on some rope and hot glue it didnt cost much.

Got it done!! What do you think?

Ok here is the product....What do you think?

Attachments

• GEDC0711.JPG
    GEDC0711.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 744
  • GEDC0712.JPG
    GEDC0712.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 788
Better than I could do.
174in - I like that leather work man.

(A friend did up the little raghorn shot this season to put in my son's room. I will have to take some pics and post when I get home.)

Better than I could do.
174in - I like that leather work man.

(A friend did up the little raghorn shot this season to put in my son's room. I will have to take some pics and post when I get home.)

Yep wish I had the skill level to do leather work but it is a rubber cover that can be orderd from vanykes.You have to remove alot of the skull plate and cut your own holes but they turn out decent.I messed up on the first one and had to trash it. It does look very much like leather.

I meant to take this picture for you back before you started but hey I finally got around to it...some of these are rush jobs ...some were meticulously finished when I was 15 or younger lol

Attachments

• IMG_4446.jpg
    IMG_4446.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 544
Wife's first deer. Lol she "had" to have it mounted. I was like. Not much to mount but ill see what I can do

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back