Seeking Input

Which cartridges (up to 4) covers the options for people buying their primary hunting rifle?

• .338 Win

• .300 Win Mag

• .308 Win

• .30-06 Springfield

• 7mm Rem Mag

• 7mm-.08

• .270 Win

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• .243 Win

Results are only viewable after voting.
Considering only the cartridges listed.

1) Only elk hunting -- 30-06
2) Mostly elk, some deer and antelope -- 30-06
3) Mostly deer, occasional elk -- 30-06
4) Only deer and antelope -- 6.5

However, I'd really like to see the 7mm STW be offered in a production rifle with a muzzle brake again. I'm probably alone, but I think the 7mm STW is a real versatile round for all the categories you listed.

My votes are .300 Win, .30-'06, 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor. I sure hope these future models may be offered with threaded muzzles. Hunting with silencers has become very popular and now that I've started using one, I don't plan on hunting without one if at all possible. It's now make-or-break criteria for my future rifle purchases.

I've have a snappy 7 mm rem mag and a 30-06, and killed an antelope that is elk sized with a 300 win mag. Killed many deer with a 7mm rem mag but it's been a meat ruiner. I can't complain about the 30-06, recoil is not that bad at all compared to my 7 mag, but it's not super precise being an older Remington 760 that's not fully free floated- but a heck of a brush gun. Both great rifles, but I'm thinking of selling both for just a .308.

1) Only elk hunting -- 300 win mag or 7 mm rem mag (not on list...)
2) Mostly elk, some deer and antelope -- 30-06
3) Mostly deer, occasional elk -- 308
4) Only deer and antelope -- 308

Last edited:
This is proving most interesting!
Time and again, Big Fin has shown us that if you keep distances reasonable (400 yards), then the 308/7mm-08 do just fine on elk and large black bear.

Yet when the question is posed, many people are saying 7mm Rem Mag, or 300 Win Mag for elk.

Curious.....

This is proving most interesting!
Time and again, Big Fin has shown us that if you keep distances reasonable (400 yards), then the 308/7mm-08 do just fine on elk and large black bear.

Yet when the question is posed, many people are saying 7mm Rem Mag, or 300 Win Mag for elk.

Curious.....

Considering what's been written by the gun cranks, in the outdoor rags, for the last 30 years about what works best for elk, not curious at all.

Many have long ago learned that shot placement, shot placement, and shot placement are the 3 most important things when it comes to killing big-game.

Having a rifle you're comfortable shooting, and that gets shot a lot more, only makes those 3 things easier.

Yup Placement over Power

A 1000 elephants which were brought down with a 275 Rigby ( 7 x 57 ) using 173 FMJ ammo as well as another 300 brought down with a 6,5 x 54 using 159 FMJ would certainly support your post.

Looking at the votes recorded for the above listed calibers, each of them have a following of over 30% except the 243 and 338, which I am sure most feel one is too much and one is not enough. I think it is interesting that the 30-06 is still holding its own and is currently in 2nd place.

Randy -----I would be interested in knowing whether or not the results of this survey, thus far, is exactly what you expected or has it surprised you ? As well as others-- are you surprised at the results, thus far, or is it exactly what you expected ?

A 1000 elephants which were brought down with a 275 Rigby ( 7 x 57 ) using 173 FMJ ammo as well as another 300 brought down with a 6,5 x 54 using 159 FMJ would certainly support your post.

Looking at the votes recorded for the above listed calibers, each of them have a following of over 30% except the 243 and 338, which I am sure most feel one is too much and one is not enough. I think it is interesting that the 30-06 is still holding its own and is currently in 2nd place.

Randy -----I would be interested in knowing whether or not the results of this survey, thus far, is exactly what you expected or has it surprised you ? As well as others-- are you surprised at the results, thus far, or is it exactly what you expected ?

Old Karamojo Bell didn't do a whole lot of bragging about how many elephants ended up running around with just a headache, in the course of perfecting his brain shot.

I’d say 7RM for a reasonable magnum option. There’s really nothing it can’t do. You can load reduced recoil rounds for deer/antelope or full power ammo for larger game. 30-06 and 308 ammo can be found anywhere if a person insists on a 30 cal option. 7-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor largely do the same things but given the choice I’d lean towards the 7-08 for a one rifle solution given sensible distances and proper shot placement on game for a one rifle solution. Some states require 27 caliber at a minimum to hunt elk which eliminates the 6.5 from contention for me.

I know it’s not an option but if I needed a one choice solution I’d personally lean towards 280AI though ammo is more expensive and not easy to find everywhere but that’s another matter. Again within its range it’s not all that different from a 30-06, 270, or 7RM in application at reasonable distances but I like to consolidate ammo and components to common bullet diameters. For rifle I keep it to 5.56 or 7mm... for pistol I keep it to 9 or 45ACP.

Many of you know that I have been working on some new ideas with HOWA. Last year we shot every possible combination of cartridge, barrel length/profile, stock, weather protection, you name it. The result we hope to come up with is a series of rifles that will allow the average hunter to select from a handful of options that we have tried and tested and know that they can buy that rifle and not look back with any regrets. If they hunt mostly deer and some elk, they can pick a rifle chambered in "cartridge X;" if it is mostly elk with some deer, we have a model chambered in "cartridge Y," and so on.

Consideration is given to ammo/rifle availability, past sales trends, production cost, versatility, etc.. We want to keep it to a few cartridge options, at the most, four options. I know what barrel length/profiles that match the intended use. The final product will all have HS Precision stocks, all Cerakoted, hopefully packaged with a scope combination that we know fits best, and priced at a level where the value is excellent.

I know many here own dozens of firearms, as do I. This is not a project designed for the person who is buying their 22nd firearm, though if their 22nd firearm was one of these rifles that would be great. This is mostly for the person buying their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th firearm. Again, if they want it to be the 6th-106th firearm of their collection, better yet.

With that background, I'm seeking input here, as informal as this poll may be, that gives me some confirmation/rejection of where we are headed. We are at a crossroads where some of the important decisions need to be made from a production and distribution standpoint.

I want this project to have no more than four cartridge chambering options. I want the final four selections we settle on to cover the spectrum of hunting that is our audience as I've categorized below:

1) Only elk hunting
2) Mostly elk, some deer and antelope
3) Mostly deer, occasional elk
4) Only deer and antelope

The poll asks you to provide what cartridges you would pick if you were at this crossroads I am at. You can choose up to four options in the poll, but you can choose less than four.

Your participation in this poll is greatly appreciated and very helpful. Thanks in advance for your participation.
1: 300WM
2:30/06
3: .308
4: .270
I hope the package deal includes a Leupold vx3/5/6 with applicable zoom

Last edited:
Some states require 27 caliber at a minimum to hunt elk which eliminates the 6.5 from contention for me.

Really? All western states are 6mm I think... besides a .264 win mag or a 6.5-300 Weatherby has way mor knockdown power than a .270

1) Only elk hunting - 7mm RM (using a premium bullet, it can do everything the 300WM can do without the extra recoil which translates to more range time)

2) Mostly elk, some deer and antelope - 30/06 (165 grain bullet will harvest all species cleanly and allows you to practice with one round)

3) Mostly deer, occasional elk - 270 Win. (never seen a box of 30/06 or 300WM without a box or two of 270Win sitting next to it and has killed plenty of deer and elk)

4) Only deer and antelope - 6.5 Creedmoor (flatter shooting than the 270Win and becoming more available each year)

1 big game,,moose,elk,,300wm,,,2elk,deer all around,7mmr mag 175 gr for elk,,150 for deer and antelope,sheep,,{long range},,3,,,6.5 cm, 143 eld-x bullets,,drops antelope like a sack of potaoes!!{light long range}

1) Only elk hunting - 300 Win Mag
2) Mostly elk, some deer and antelope - 7MM mag
3) Mostly deer, occasional elk - 6.5 creed
4) Only deer and antelope - 243

Really? All western states are 6mm I think... besides a .264 win mag or a 6.5-300 Weatherby has way mor knockdown power than a .270
Far from all western states have a 6mm min. MT and UT have no min bullet diameter, FWIW...

An occasional poster here (breaks runner) has worn out 8 or 9 barrels of a 220 Swift stacking up all manner of game in MT.

I only own 2 calibers listed. I havent shot my 308 in probably 12+ years. and I've only shot my 6.5 creed to sight it in.

None of the other calibers listed are of any interest to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back