Security for new home to protect hunting gear investment

They'll lick you to death too. Ours is the worst gaurd dog I've ever seen. Every time ups or amazon pulls in she gets in the truck with them.🤦‍♂️

Mine has pulled the same trick with the mail carrier. The mail carrier left her door open when walking up to my house, and my dog jumped in her car..... So much for biting the mailman. On the security side of the conversation. I have a ring. My wife bought it and made me install it. Not sure it really helps as a deterrent, but I figure it can't hurt. And it was my wife's idea, so...well...it's a Great idea !

Been in the insurance biz for years now. Best security system by far is a dog, not even close. Unless you are gonna live reasonably close to law enforcement, the security systems are really just fancy noise makers. The scum bag is at home looking through his loot by the time the police show up if you live out of the city. If it were me, I would install a system myself with quality cameras so you will have good pics of the intruder. But first he has to get past Butch on the front porch. Better yet, Butch jr is inside in case they make it past Sr.

Mine has pulled the same trick with the mail carrier. The mail carrier left her door open when walking up to my house, and my dog jumped in her car..... So much for biting the mailman. On the security side of the conversation. I have a ring. My wife bought it and made me install it. Not sure it really helps as a deterrent, but I figure it can't hurt. And it was my wife's idea, so...well...it's a Great idea !
We are the only house on this stretch of road. Our mailman whips milk bones out the window as he approaches the mailbox so that shell stay out of the truck.

OK I'm going to bump my own thread. Dillon has had a rash of break-ins, "lock checking", and general intrusions (apparently people finding a person has been in their home but nothing is missing). Things are locked up but this guys is persistent lately with nearly daily reports of a creeper and I'm sure most are unsubstantiated. I opted for increased velocity security but sometimes I'm not home so I'm thinking a motion light with a camera mounted to the garage will help. Plus it may help chase the damn city deer off my apple tree. I could wire into a garage circuit pretty easily. Currently I don't have a light there which may be beneficial for better light on the driveway when I need it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

OK I'm going to bump my own thread. Dillon has had a rash of break-ins, "lock checking", and general intrusions (apparently people finding a person has been in their home but nothing is missing). Things are locked up but this guys is persistent lately with nearly daily reports of a creeper and I'm sure most are unsubstantiated. I opted for increased velocity security but sometimes I'm not home so I'm thinking a motion light with a camera mounted to the garage will help. Plus it may help chase the damn city deer off my apple tree. I could wire into a garage circuit pretty easily. Currently I don't have a light there which may be beneficial for better light on the driveway when I need it.

I installed the ring system that is hard wired where I had a motion light over the driveway and garage/walk in door. It notifies you through the app on your phone when activity is detected. It works great and activates on cats or squirrels and anything moving. There are LED lights that illuminate and there is sound available plus you can activate a siren or talk to the subject. Well worth the $175.00 cost and easy to install and activate with no additional cost.

My dog beats all you guy's dogs. Mine walk out the gate a while back stood in the road (quiet mid day) and made the UPS lady stop for him and give him a biscuit. My dog held up the UPS driver! That's what they get for bribing dogs! He now walks into the truck when she goes to the back for packages.

Knew someone with dogs that could be aggressive with strangers. The people who broke in found a pack of hotdogs in the freezer and gave the dogs a feast while they robbed the house.

Blink has indoor/outdoor cameras connected to cloud recording. Cover property from the house corners, entry points, and parking areas. Inside camera that will alert if motion. You can access from anywhere and voice in, etc.

Some great, inexpensive setups

Dan O has a good setup as well.

I installed the ring system that is hard wired where I had a motion light over the driveway and garage/walk in door. It notifies you through the app on your phone when activity is detected. It works great and activates on cats or squirrels and anything moving. There are LED lights that illuminate and there is sound available plus you can activate a siren or talk to the subject. Well worth the $175.00 cost and easy to install and activate with no additional cost.
Do those systems work off of Wifi only? Whould a cellular hotspot with "ok but not great" signal suffice?

Reliable internet with any bandwidth is not a thing where I live. Only options for internet are satellite, which is awful at best, and cellular, which performs better than satellite until a ton of people hit the network up for juice.

I have pretty good luck with the dogs but I am looking to have other options as well. Someone would have to be pretty ballsy to break in my house with 3 dogs going nuts insides anytime anyone pulls in the driveway.

thanks guys. I'm going to look at the suggestions and see if I can't get something up this weekend. I like the idea of the ring camera and lights. I've never heard of blink so I'll see what they offer.

Do those systems work off of Wifi only? Whould a cellular hotspot with "ok but not great" signal suffice?

Reliable internet with any bandwidth is not a thing where I live. Only options for internet are satellite, which is awful at best, and cellular, which performs better than satellite until a ton of people hit the network up for juice.

I have pretty good luck with the dogs but I am looking to have other options as well. Someone would have to be pretty ballsy to break in my house with 3 dogs going nuts insides anytime anyone pulls in the driveway.
Yes wifi is needed. I'm not sure how a hot spot would work. Go on their web site they might answer that question.

thanks guys. I'm going to look at the suggestions and see if I can't get something up this weekend. I like the idea of the ring camera and lights. I've never heard of blink so I'll see what they offer.
I would highly recommend ring. I have the doorbell cam as well as a few other cameras and motion sensors. I have had a few false alarms and the ring monitoring center has contacted me withing a few minutes each time to see if the police need to be called. Previously I had a system from vivint which worked well but was $55 a month for monitoring vs $100 a year that ring charges.

I agree a dog is a great deterrent. But one that is aggressive is a no go for me. I live is gated community in suburbia and the risk of an aggressive dog biting someone and me getting sued for out paces the risk of getting broke into in a good neighborhood. Not mention the cost of an attorney might be as much as the value of what
I’m trying to protect.

i have worked pretty hard for what I have been able to accumulate financially and I don't care to risk that On a dog bite lawsuit.

I use insurance as a risk mitigation but it would not cover me 100%.

If I was worried about it I would probably go for a basic monitored security system that was well publicized on my doors and windows.
Im single and travel and I need something that can be turned off and on remotely and with a code.

If I lived in the country and had a family I might have a different idea of what was needed.

Good outside lighting, a cul de sac with attentive neighbors, a big azzed gun safe, a security system sign, and two baritone Golden Retrievers that bark til I remove my cap.

Are things getting a little dodgy in Montana these days? We don't even lock our house unless we're going away for more than a few days.

Security systems are great until the power goes out.

I decided on a German Shepherd from a solid, proven working line. Mine is smart, and well trained enough, that the neighborhood kids come and go as they please, and the tweakers now take the long way around my property.

Bumping this back up - moved to a newer neighborhood. New house has ring doorbell and some other smart house gizmos kinda got me intrigued on a camera to watch the garage and back door. Anyone got any options work with google home or Ring that doesnt take an electrician to wire up and can handle some cold months ?

Just installed a Ring on my better half’s VRBO so she knew when guests left (for quick cleaning). First guests apparently didn’t notice the camera.
5CEB9382-D417-48D8-B337-DA37239F893C.jpeg

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back