Caribou Gear

Security for new home to protect hunting gear investment

MThuntr

I'm in the process of buying a place across town and am considering adding a security system to protect my hunting stuff that will be both in the house and in the garage. I added up the value of just my reloading equipment and I know damn well people notice those types of things coming and going.

I'm thinking motion sensor in the garage, motion sensor in the main area of the house and sensors at the doors. That should cover all the major entry points. Simplisafe is one that I hear on podcasts all the time but a friend has ADT and they seem to be "johnny on the spot" for actually having someone monitoring potential break-ins (Phil got caught peeing off the porch one night and they called to alert a possible intruder).

Anyone done some shopping around? Who do you feel has some of the better protection without breaking the bank?

i'm sure you've already considered a home insurance plan that will cover that stuff yeah?

I'm in the process of buying a place across town and am considering adding a security system to protect my hunting stuff that will be both in the house and in the garage. I added up the value of just my reloading equipment and I know damn well people notice those types of things coming and going.

I'm thinking motion sensor in the garage, motion sensor in the main area of the house and sensors at the doors. That should cover all the major entry points. Simplisafe is one that I hear on podcasts all the time but a friend has ADT and they seem to be "johnny on the spot" for actually having someone monitoring potential break-ins (Phil got caught peeing off the porch one night and they called to alert a possible intruder).

Anyone done some shopping around? Who do you feel has some of the better protection without breaking the bank?
Sounds good on the digital side but I still feel having a big dog that is trained to bite the S out of someone is a great backup as well.

Mthuntr,

I ran into this same situation when we moved to NM 6 years ago ( since then have moved)..

No basement in NM, and previously always had a basement to build a safe room, never owned a safe. We made the move and I ended up buying a big ass safe, and bolting it to the concrete floor and to the wall studs. I then went with ADT and set up motion sensors on the garage doors, and a motion sensor on the wall right over the safe. My reloading/ammo locker was made of metal and lockable as well. My benches were right next to the safe. No I did all the security system stuff before moving any of that stuff in as you said the less people see it the less people know about it. I was fortunate enough that my truck sat in the driveway for most of the time and it was parked right in front of the space where the safe was located.

On all the rest of the homes ( we have moved 8 times in 16 years) I have had basements where I constructed safe rooms that were built in a way that the naked eye had no idea there were guns and ammo behind it. Rixon hinges are awesome. Motion sensors covered 100% of the area in front of the room.

Now the bad thing if they want it bad enough, they are going to get it. Back in Ohio, I remember a Class 3 dealer had a whole safe full of stuff taken. His safe was in a back bedroom of his house on the first floor. They backed a white van up to the front door, cut around the front door with saws, walked up to the safe and wrapped a chain/wire around it, and used a winch and dragged the safe all the way out to the van.. in and out in minutes...

We bought an 8 Camera Lorex System at Costco a year or so ago. I don't know what to say. The camera quality is excellent, and I can view remotely using the Lorex Home App on my phone.

The cameras are kind of bulky, and not really hidden, but I kind of like that. Folks can see them. It was something like this, but I bought two extra cameras. I haven't put them all up yet:

We bought an 8 Camera Lorex System at Costco a year or so ago. I don't know what to say. The camera quality is excellent, and I can view remotely using the Lorex Home App on my phone.

The cameras are kind of bulky, and not really hidden, but I kind of like that. Folks can see them. It was something like this, but I bought two extra cameras. I haven't put them all up yet:

i'm still leery of the cyber security of systems like these.

is at the point where this doesn't need to be worried about as much? i feel like i "always" hear another story about something sketchy happening...

i'm still leery of the cyber security of systems like these.

is at the point where this doesn't need to be worried about as much? i feel like i "always" hear another story about something sketchy happening...

I'm curious what you mean? Are you wondering if someone could "hack" into the feed? They probably could. I suppose that is a good question, but I do feel my home is more "secure" than it was prior to their installation.

The chief purpose of this for me is to be able to look in on my home when the kids are home alone, and to deter some of the shady backwoods rednecks that reside in the hills around where I live.

I'm curious what you mean? Are you wondering if someone could "hack" into the feed? They probably could. I suppose that is a good question, but I do feel my home is more "secure" than it was prior to their installation.

The chief purpose of this for me is to be able to look in on my home when the kids are home alone, and to deter some of the shady backwoods rednecks that reside in the hills around where I live.

yeah i'm meaning more like people hacking into the feed and just looking at your life more than the system being vulnerable to like being "hacked" and disabled for a theft.

Insurance and door locks keep my family and stuff secure enough. I haven't ever lived anywhere that I feared that my stuff would walk off. Only time I've had stuff taken from the house was the day I moved out of Utah. Vehicles are a different story, but all involved the doors being unlocked. Big assed moving semi in front of the house was like a beacon I guess.

In all seriousness my dad installed I think an Arlo from Best Buy. He really likes it, and the image quality is really good. Sends me a video every couple of weeks of him walking into his house waving at the camera. If he can figure out how to set it up anyone could I would think.

I have SimpliSafe. It is good. Response time is very fast. There are a few things I would change/improve, but I have an old model and they have made a lot of additions the past few years. I have heard positives on ADT too. Might end up a matter of pricing vs bells and whistles.

I have Vivint in the current home that a door-to-door guy talked us into. Honestly can't complain about the service or hardware, but as we're now preparing to sell the place I'm looking at around $1,000 to pay off the equipment "loan" and probably several hundred to cancel the contract. I think ADT works in a similar manner. I tend to trust people maybe more than I should so I'll probably forego security in the new house, but I may be more liberal than most on here. If my wife is adamant about a system in the new place, I'll go with hardware I can install myself and skip the professional monitoring - most of the time one of us has a phone at arm's reach and could call the cops as fast as the monitoring company.

Back