Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Second Fridge Location ?

Where should the Old Fridge go?

• In the Detached garage

Votes: 24 77.4%
  • Replace the Utility sink in the Pantry /Laundry room, and move U sink to Detached Garage

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

2rocky

I'm due to replace the Refrigerator in my kitchen and I am currently using a second hand top freezer unit that works well enough. I'll use the old refrigerator as an "overflow/beer fridge" and I'm in a quandary about the location for it.

I'd really like to put it next to my chest freezer in my combo pantry/laundry room. It would be steps away from kitchen and I wouldn't have to go out to the garage to fill or empty it.

That spot is currently occupied by a utility sink . I'm thinking about moving the utility sink to the garage and purchasing an electric tankless water heater to operate it when I need to use it (which is seldom).

Talk me out of it or tell me my logic is sound...

If you didn’t have the utility sink in the laundry room anymore you will wish you had it. It will come up more when you don’t have it there anymore. A trip to the spare fridge/freezer isn’t bad. Instead of grabbing one beer or set of steaks when you go, you just grab a couple.

Does it get below freezing in your garage? In my last house I had my spare fridge in the garage. It was a PIA when we had a cold snap (below zero) because the soda and other non alcohol would freeze up. I would rather have it in the pantry but don't know if I would remove a utility sink to make it happen.

Where do you live? Fridge and freezers have issues on temperature extremes in both directions!

You're replacing because it's getting old (guessing?) so why remodel to fit it in? If it's in the garage and craps out on you, throw the worms out, drink the beer and dispose of fridge (set in yard beside TV and washer to shoot at). Done.
If you make room in pantry and it dies, now you're obligated to replace. 🤠

You may find that keeping the second fridge in the garage will ramp up your utility bill.

Any other options? I keep one down in my reloading/hunting gear room with the chest freezer.

You may find that keeping the second fridge in the garage will ramp up your utility bill.

Any other options? I keep one down in my reloading/hunting gear room with the chest freezer.
See!! I though it would be Perfect for thawing out the steaks and roasts that I pull out of the Chest Freezer (which is in the pantry)

FWIW the Garage is Concrete tip up construction and we might have 20 days a year with a hard frost. Lowest Temp I ever remember was 15 F.

I got one in the garage and one in the barn. Since it gets -50 I unplug them in the winter. I don't need to keep a lot of things cold 7 months of the year.

I never had any luck with fridges in the garage in NY, if I lived a more moderate climate then I thats were its would go

I keep my second fridge in my garage but I also have radiant floor heat in it so I don't have to worry about things freezing.

I've had a second fridge in my garage for 10 years now with zero issues. At first a small one, now a full size (new one in the house). Bonus is the freezer for that is now right next to the stand up freezer for all game meat.

Attachments

• 20200827_145313.jpg
    20200827_145313.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
If you put it in the garage I recommend you keep mouse poison out all the time. I had a fridge that would not cool even though it turned on. Mice had built a nest causing interference with the fan.

I never had any luck with fridges in the garage in NY, if I lived a more moderate climate then I thats were its would go
Same here in PA. Total guess but i think it has to do with the auto defrost. I have lost meat and other things in the freezer. I think when it is defrosting the water freezes and clogs something up and the freezer warms up.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back