Caribou Gear

SE Montana Deer

naturebob

So what kind of reports We getting from Southeastern Montana on Deer? They moving around much Yet? Big Bucks on the prowl Yet. Going over on the 14 or 15th of Nov. Just curious if anything is happnen Yet rut wise and how is horn growth this Year. Thanks in advance and happy Hunting. I hope to be posting Pics this year.....BOB!

We haven't seen much if any chasing yet. Out where we usually hunt we haven't seen any. I travel to Broadus every Tuesday to work and have been seeing more and more does out in the fields but very few if any bucks yet.

Thanks Guys, last year I went over early and the locals all said they really don't hunt till middle of the month. I came back then and saw 5 shooter bucks. At the opener I saw 1. Big difference. Can't wait. Got a new rifle , scope last month. New truck last week and Moving into a brand new place this coming week. All be it a Damn Trailer , but at least I aint renting no more. Gonna save Me $1000 a month. Renting houses here is crazy. Took Me 57 years to get in a trailer.. 5 more years and back to AZ. Thank God I got the wife here too. alotta guys here in the oilfield don't. Big support....Good luck too all in Montana.......BOB!

Was there on the 29th only had the one day off from work, and of course my luck if was so foggy couldn't hardly see 200 yards or so. Still did see a fair amout of deer, but all the bucks were still hanging out together. Since I just had the one day and that I was trying to film by myself I was just going to shoot at the first one that I could get a good shot on and would stand long enough for me to get the tripod and camera on him so ended up taking a little 3X2. On the way back north the fog started to lift and about an hour befor dark I seen this guy standing 100 yards off the road on some BLM land and he was kind enough to let me get some video of him, pics aren't great since I took them with my phone with the video paused on my laptop. Any way good luck there are some nice ones down there.

Attachments

• mt%20deer%201.jpg
    mt%20deer%201.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 707
  • mt%20deer%202.jpg
    mt%20deer%202.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 749
I think the rut may just be starting down near Broadus as I saw a 3x4 with a group of does on my way down along with 2 small bucks wandering the road edges and one pasted on the road on my way down this morning. I still saw several groups of does near Broadus without any bucks near them or in the group. All of the deer I saw were on private and most of the private down this way is outfitted, FYI.

I was checking with the GPS and map chip and all of them were on private. That said, if you are willing to walk and find some public I would think you would be able to find a buck. You will need to get at least 2 ridges away from any road. My wife and I have been out the last few Mondays and have only seen does. My adopted son shot his first buck this year and was extremely proud of his 1x2. But since he has never hunted at all and was from Arkansas he was thrilled. I was very happy for him and happy I actually found a buck in the early season. That is a skill I am still trying to work on. Good luck!

Back