se idaho elk hunting

Bannock Zone only has cow tags for rifle. That's where I mainly hunt. Diamond Creek is an excellent archery zone, but has no open rifle tags. Tex Creek, Bear River, and Palisades Zones have either an A or B tag, with the B tag having bull only rifle hunts in October. There will be a lot of hunters out chasing deer at that time too, and a general deer tag will work in basically any unit. Palisades has some steep country but I have heard of people seeing/killing elk in that area. I have been looking at possibly trying one of these hunts, but they only last one week for the bull only hunts.

I don't know if 48 is considered SE, but that's one unit I'm looking at really hard right now for archery elk. Plus it's closer to me then the Panhandle area. Last year's statistics are favorable if I read them correctly. I have 1 late archery season under me with no harvest, and I still consider myself a newb ha ha. Really want to be better prepared both physically and mentally this coming September. I personally have never been anywhere in that unit, and I am currently looking for anything on the internet to help me try and figure out a starting point.

Last edited:
Not looking for the bull of a life time. Im 61 years old and just looking for somewhere I can hunt without killing myself I still get around pretty good. 5 miles from a road is still doable. Thx for input so far.

How about 51 just east of Highway 93 between Moore and Mackay. Not very steep, mostly rocky with small patches of timber. There are a surprising number of elk that tend to be concentrated and easy to locate. And don't discount the added possibility of seeing some large, if not very large muleys also.

How about 51 just east of Highway 93 between Moore and Mackay. Not very steep, mostly rocky with small patches of timber. There are a surprising number of elk that tend to be concentrated and easy to locate. And don't discount the added possibility of seeing some large, if not very large muleys also.

Shhhhh, ;)

You're correct Elkmagnet. It's also a controlled hunt in addition to a general archery hunt. I should have read the entire thread and focused on the essentials before responding. However, I still believe this unit does offer a lot of opportunity for any hunter with realistic goals who is willing to "compromise". The units previously discussed in this thread are heavily hunted, have relatively small herds and aren't trophy producing areas. North central Idaho has larger elk numbers but also is plagued by heavy hunting pressure and it's not known for it's trophy quality elk, though all things considered it may be the best option. Having the opportunity to experience the beautiful state of Idaho is what it's really all about.

51 Might be an option im more of a mule deer hunter anyway. Plus spikes eat better anyway.thx

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back