Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Screwing over the Non-resident (or not)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I'm kinda grateful that I watched the Joker and the Nuggets hand the Lakers a loss last night.

This thread is additional proof of what we all know...elbow room is a good thing, when it comes to hunting.

I want to think that this sort of conversation would be more civil if we were face to face. If not, surely a fist fight can't be too far away.

You should be treated great when you travel to another state to hunt...

99.82% of the population in the US is non residents in Wyoming. I don't think turning your back on NRs would end well.

Resident hunters are declining, NR hunters are increasing. Why try to take more tags?
If you're looking for a red carpet, get used to being disappointed.

It would be impossible for me to care any less if you ever hunt Wyoming.

@rjthehunter, could you please talk to the residents of Montana about this?

I was expecting to be treated better...

IMG_3306.JPG

My lower lip was quivering so bad from such rude behavior, and through the tears in my eyes, I almost couldn't hold my cross hairs on this bull.

IMG_3294.JPG

I had the last laugh...

IMG_3307.JPG

You should be treated great when you travel to another state to hunt...

99.82% of the population in the US is non residents in Wyoming. I don't think turning your back on NRs would end well.

Resident hunters are declining, NR hunters are increasing. Why try to take more tags?
Growing up in southern Wy - people hated seeing out of state people out hunting. Part of it, im sure NR generally hunt longer (i.e. they are 10% of the hunters, but 25% of the hunting days might have been non res cause they hunt 2.5 days to a residents 1, hypothetically.)

They were also way more likely to hire guides/pay for access and force out land that was previously accessible.

See why R easily demonize NR? If you can't - i guess youd have to live there long enough to feel that way. I tried to come up with an example for NY or MN - but to be honest im not real interested in living/visiting there so i dont understand a lot of what might be similar.

People shouldnt deliberately be jerks to NR, however NR should be grateful for any opportunity in another state.

Last edited:
Growing up in southern Wy - people hated seeing out of state people out hunting. Part of it, im sure NR generally hunt longer (i.e. they are 10% of the hunters, but 25% of the hunting days might have been non res cause they hunt 2.5 days to a residents 1, hypothetically.

They were also way more likely to hire guides/pay for access and force out land that was previously accessible.

See why R easily demonize NR? If you can't - i guess youd have to live long enough to feel that way. I tried to come up with an example for NY or MN - but i to be honest im not real interested in living/visiting there so i dont understand a lot of what might be similar.

People shouldnt deliberately be jerks to NR, however NR should be grateful for any opportunity in another state.
Agree. Shouldn't be that way. But even Ray Charles can see why they would be at times.

Within a state, there are turf wars. The residents of the larger cities in a state are viewed with a jaundiced eye when they travel around in the state. In Montana it is very easy to tell where a vehicle is from. For many years, my rigs sported the 3-xxxxx plates. The cold shoulder was perceivable but not really that bad. I guess anyone sporting a 6 on their plate gets similar vibes.

When we moved out of Billings, just across a county line, the cold shoulder warmed noticeably.

Within a state, there are turf wars. The residents of the larger cities in a state are viewed with a jaundiced eye when they travel around in the state. In Montana it is very easy to tell where a vehicle is from. For many years, my rigs sported the 3-xxxxx plates. The cold shoulder was perceivable but not really that bad. I guess anyone sporting a 6 on their plate gets similar vibes.

When we moved out of Billings, just across a county line, the cold shoulder warmed noticeably.
I never realized hunters had such fragile feelings?

After reading this thread I realize that we have met the enemy and he is us.

NRs were generous when supporting the corner crossing case and it was probably a mistake considering how ungrateful NRs are according to this thread.

I am convinced I will live to see the end of hunting for the common person and that only the elite will have the privilege in the future and we can see in this thread exactly why. Selfish assholes and the inability to operate as an effective group will be at the root cause of the downfall for public land hunting.

NRs were generous when supporting the corner crossing case and it was probably a mistake considering how ungrateful NRs are according to this thread.

It’s sad to say, but it’s hard to disagree.

@Big Fin is correct when he points out that nonresidents are merely stakeholders in these battles. We have no say, and legally we don’t deserve to have a say based upon the current legal precedent that has been established.

However, once we are defeated, the real battle for resident public land hunters in some of these western states will really begin. The leverage will change significantly, as this next battle takes on other trustees- landowners, outfitters, non-hunting residents that outnumber them (and you can add nonresident hunters financial support to this team soon as well).

Good luck.

Last edited:
After reading this thread I realize that we have met the enemy and he is us.

I am convinced I will live to see the end of hunting for the common person and that only the elite will have the privilege in the future and we can see in this thread exactly why. Selfish assholes and the inability to operate as an effective group will be at the root cause of the downfall for public land hunting.
He speaks the truth. However, there are many many second class citizens such as myself.....I mean non western residents (couldn't resist 😅) who are incredibly grateful and blessed by the opportunities provided to us, just as there are I believe many saints......er I mean western residents ( I swear it's autocorrect 😅) who truly enjoy sharing the wonderful resources of their states with others, and these are the ones who will unite, fight, and hopefully save our way of life from some very existench.....existent......eggsiste...whatever, immediate threats (you know the antis and such). I refuse to believe hope is lost. It's an uphill battle but it's winnable.

It’s sad to say, but it’s hard to disagree.

@Big Fin is correct when he points out that nonresidents are merely stakeholders in these battles. We have no say, and legally we don’t deserve to have a say based upon the current legal precedent that has been established.

However, once we are defeated, the real battle for resident public land hunters in some of these western states will really begin. The leverage will change significantly, as this next battle takes on other trustees- landowners, outfitters, non-hunting residents that outnumber them (and you can add nonresident hunters financial support to this team soon as well).

Good luck.
Is WI ripping everyone off with their 200 dollar whitetail tags?

First things nonresident should learn is no amount of ass kissing is going to stop a residents from taking every tag they can. If you’re lucky and that’s a big IF they may keep you around to pay the freight and lower cost for themselves.
The reality is if the NRs don't like the rules they don't need to play the game. Why you guys jump on Buzz makes no sense. He has probably done more to open up access and support NRs in WY than any NR has. Even if you don't agree with the result. Move on to legitimate and rationale discussion.

90/10 is coming. As you pointed out, maybe start ass-kissing WOGA because they are the ones most likely to oppose and be listened to.

Good luck.

But this fight has already been going on for decades with tiny non resident hunter involvement the whole time

I’m just not sure how the status quo is gonna change just because the few generous western states tighten up allocation and the negligible amount of NR that were fighting that fight bail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back