Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Screwing over the Non-resident (or not)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Az should go 100/0 too…set an example. NR hunting is screwing residents of the western states, if you need 90% of tags then you need a 100%….residents first. Cut off the NR.
They probably should for sheep and pronghorn.

Not so sure on that. You get to go home to MT to hunt right? Cheaper tags, can hunt in the wilderness... Why would residents want to go hunt other states if they have the best hunting and the opportunity to buy 3 tags?
Because my family lives in Montana, 🤡

Buzz you made no case why NR should get 10% of tags than stating …well that’s what everyone does. Resident populations are increasing. No argument there. If you need 90% surely you need a 100%. What benefit does NR license and tag sales bring to your state that supersedes the needs of residents?

Because my family lives in Montana, 🤡
The point is, you're being treated pretty well there you 🤡...

My point is that I don't see the correlation between what other states do and what WY does. Do you want to be like other states??

Buzz you made no case why NR should get 10% of tags than stating …well that’s what everyone does. Resident populations are increasing. No argument there. If you need 90% surely you need a 100%. What benefit does NR license and tag sales bring to your state that supersedes the needs of residents?
Yes, I did. That's what Wyoming decided. We make the rules because we can.

Same as the way north Dakota decided to keep 100% of the moose hunting for residents

We dont have to justify or make a case for how we determine tag splits.

We can pull it out of our ass, roll the chicken bones, or get advice from a gypsy fortune teller to decide.

Provides something like 40% of WFGD annual budget among other things.

@rjthehunter and @Trial153, would you feel different if the waterfowl and fishing were going downhill in your states?

How about if the NR caught half the fish in a lot of lakes - where the fishing was decling? See region 6 and 7 for montana mule deer. Im not trying to throw shade - but you have to see the perspective a bit.

My point is that I don't see the correlation between what other states do and what WY does. Do you want to be like other states??
WY got there (wilderness law) in the sausage making that is western state govt. No one likes it - but its how things are. And will get worse if they were to change.

Yes, I did. That's what Wyoming decided. We make the rules because we can.

Same as the way north Dakota decided to keep 100% of the moose hunting for residents

We dont have to justify or make a case for how we determine tag splits.

We can pull it out of our ass, roll the chicken bones, or get advice from a gypsy fortune teller to decide.

What a chicken shit answer. Go to bed.

What a chicken shit answer. Go to bed.
No, it's not, it's reality.

Under what law, rule, or regulation are we required to tell you how we determine tag splits, set seasons, determine license costs, etc.?

It's none of your business and nobody living in Wyoming is interested in justifying or making a case to satisfy you.

Why shouldn't we be treated "pretty well there"?

If you don't see a correlation I suggest a trip to an eye doctor and hooked on phonics. Idaho, Montana, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, etc. all either 10% or up to 10% NR tag splits.

So the Scots are actually reducing red deer? And please do share where we can all go stalking. I do believe some HTers might take that route if the cost is similar to what they would spend over here.
Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread, especially as I have an interest in trying for a pronghorn in Wyoming, if I'm not screwed over by then!
I've created a separate thread

Alright im gonna go ahead and just go off on my own here.. maybe get back ish on the rails.. It was pretty good when ideas were getting tossed around.. I appreciate the historical context you’ve provided @Big Fin , and it’s great to see a platform for discussion. Your video was definitely engaging, I wouldn’t have minded if it were a bit longer, diving a bit deeper.

I personally like chatting with Non-residents, it can be interesting to chat with them about Montana. Some view it as the bee’s knees, while others remain on the fence, considering their expenses somewhat wasted. This year marks my first adventure to another state for hunting. I secured an Idaho over-the-counter mule deer and wolf tag, along with a full year non-resident fishing license. Even if I only manage to wet my line a couple of times during the trip, I like to think that my contribution supports a biologists study or wardens ability to patrol more—every penny counts in the end right? I'd atleast like to think so.. so I'm sorry if I find a residents "spot".. I'm sorry maps and information is easier to find. It does feel like I can plan the type of adventure I'm looking for. That adventure for me is more what its about. It looks like just the challenge I'm looking for... If I eat tag soup I'm going to be just as happy because I'm planning more for the experiences I want to enjoy... Not the biggest bucks or the most deer in a area... but the memory of a landscape I want to explore..

Growing up, I always saw Montana as my home, and all I have known.. a place where I can get outside year-round. Whether its just going for a coyote, or simply enjoying the outdoors on a dirt bike ride, it's always felt like a privilege. But as I approach 32 with 2 kids, I realize that this luck may not last my entire life. I just like to get outside.. I enjoy the chase of looking for deer and elk. I dont think I'll ever draw any of the big 3 tags but maybe someday. But that's not really what hunting is for me... it's just time outside for me. Time to decompress and enjoy what life should have really been about. Instead of the 60-80 hr work weeks and the side gigs to make it in life anymore. Yes I do this without hunting too... but something about the feeling of "providing" and maybe its the caveman in me.. But packing a animal out and providing some meals. We havent had to buy beef for the house for alot of years(8-10?).. and with kids now it really Is helpful on the checkbook. Really it comes down to mainly the memories I have made, and plan to continue to make with my family are priceless to me. Even if Montana became a le state. I'd still be happy to just be going out... I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to grab a tag as a resident still. It would hurt alot to see it go away from a largly otc state though.

Non-residents play a crucial role in supporting Montana’s FWP, and somewhat the small towns that kind of rely on that big surge for the year. A large part of the challenge lies in finding sustainable funding. I’ve often wondered about a state tax specifically earmarked for FWP. Western states, given their abundant natural resources, could benefit from such a system. Be able to afford to cap the NR tags easier that way. Right now it seems they have to assign more NR opportunities for the money they need atleast for Montana. So wether we’re hunting, hiking, biking, camping, riding dirt bikes, side by sides, or boating in some ways I feel we all utilize these lands and waters. And are all responsible to contribute funding to them.

While passing such a tax seems very unlikely, I’ve decided to lend my support as a NR hunter. Even though I can’t afford to hunt every state simultaneously due to life’s demands, I can certainly contribute to one state at a time. And grab a couple points for others for down the line. And start lending some NR money. I think it's funny in some ways we all want the same things for our states better quality. More deer and elk, and more opportunities. But then we're always so far from really agreeing.

I would also support paying more for my licenses as a resident If it ment better management for all species and more in depth publicly available biologist studies, reviews, and recommendations on moving forward.

That's my 2 cents. Just my opinion, but everyone's gotta contribute something.. stop whining and toss some ideas around or nothing besides these little videos are going to just rile everyone up and argue and push eachothers views away... there has to be some decent ideas in here. I can tell alot of you are much more educated then me. I Personally would go for 85/15 for NR allocations and raise prices of resident tags. I would also be the asshole that says we gotta start paying a tax as a resident of Montana. I think if they had secured funding year to year off of a state tax it would help alot. I think it would have helped to never open up all the doe tag sales for mt or the come home hunt, and just be able to have some extra money to fund studies, and work that's been half assed or put off. I also think that a governor shouldn't be able to be elected and clean house in a wildlife agency.. unless there was some real shady shit going on... by in large the science should be running the decisions, not politicians. So that's what I got. It could be completely wrong but those are my two ideas for the debate.

Why shouldn't we be treated "pretty well there"?

If you don't see a correlation I suggest a trip to an eye doctor and hooked on phonics. Idaho, Montana, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, etc. all either 10% or up to 10% NR tag splits.
You should be treated great when you travel to another state to hunt...

99.82% of the population in the US is non residents in Wyoming. I don't think turning your back on NRs would end well.

Resident hunters are declining, NR hunters are increasing. Why try to take more tags?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back