Scope Covers

AH_14

Wondering how many on here use Rifle Scope Covers of any kind and what kind you feel work best?
I have always used the Butler Creek flip covers and I like them ok....
I'm wondering if there is a better option as I think I will always have my scope covered but I'm wondering if I'm missing a great product?

Thanks for any ideas,

I've grown fond of the neoprene covers that most scope makers are sending out with scopes now.

They provide a lot of cover in poor weather, and it's nice to be able to just pull them off and stick them in your pack when the weathers good.

I've grown fond of the neoprene covers that most scope makers are sending out with scopes now.

They provide a lot of cover in poor weather, and it's nice to be able to just pull them off and stick them in your pack when the weathers good.

This, and the Butler Creek Bikini covers as well.

I had the pop up scope covers last one hunt in thick blacktail country.
Been using neoprene covers for years now.

Maybe I'm weird, but I 've never used scope covers in over 30 years of hunting. Killed a few critters where covers would have cost me a shot. mtmuley

Maybe I'm weird, but I 've never used scope covers in over 30 years of hunting. Killed a few critters where covers would have cost me a shot. mtmuley
Mine come off before I can see in morning. Had it on going to camp in a downpour last year mid day and in a blizzard the year before tho.

Been using bikini covers and neoprene but only during rain or snow storms and after the shot. During all other shooting light they are off.

I have always used Butler Creek flip open covers. In the years since I have started using them, I have had only one break, and lost one. I have had good luck with them, and have learned to flip them open as I am raising my rifle up to my shoulder.
I have the Swaro Objective cover (aluminum) for my Swaro Z5, and still use the Butler Creek for the eyepiece. I like to keep the covers on when possible, to keep the dust off of the lens. I hate the idea of trying to get dirt and dust off of scope lenses without damaging them and scratching the coatings.

Neoprene as well, don't like Caps! Found the vortex neoprene covers I like better because of the attached finger grab that makes it easier in a hurry.

C

i used the flip caps years ago but was constantly breaking them, now i screw on a clear camera lens with a small sun shade to protect the scope lens when it gets dirty i just unscrew it and clean it or if it gets bad i can replace them for a few dollars off amazon. Otherwise i try to use some sort of rubber scope cover.

I have used the Butler Creek covers you mention for over 15 years and not a single issue. They are so quick, never need to be taken off or stored, and can be open when the weather is good. I just can't come to terms with the bikini/neoprene covers needing to be stored or taken off which takes time. And frankly, I am not sure who decided that the neoprene covers even look good on a rifle.

I used to get a truck tire inner tube cut it into sections and use them. You can get a number of scope covers out of one tube so if you lose one or break it no big deal. Looks are not important if it works. It probably would not be acceptable for a 6.5 manbun but it should be fine for everything else.

Dan

I use neoprene stretchy pants when cased or in a gun boot...never march with em. Been lucky weather wise. Just can't bring myself to dressing the scope in a flip up....

[video=youtube;ySzKyJ3j58A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySzKyJ3j58A[/video]

I have used the Cabelas camo neoprene stretch cover for about 3-4 years.
Have not had a problem yet.
The Butler Creek flip ups were a P I T A in the stand when gun was on my lap

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back