PEAX Equipment

Schmalts hunts Elk near Gardiner

I don't see how giving cow permits would stop slobs from hunting...all you have to do is fill out a form.

And if you try to tell me that paper work will infact keep slobs from hunting, then I ask you this: Have you ever witnessed the MT antelope opener on public land?

I don't see how giving cow permits would stop slobs from hunting...all you have to do is fill out a form.

I'll try this one more time for those of you whom haven't witnessed as much as I..

If a guy has to take the time and energy to fill out an application, planning months in advance for a hunt that will take place in 4 months or so, his has already shown the capability to have learned some ethics and knowledge that our sport needs to continue into the next decade, and beyond.

People that get caught up in the spur of moment will be SOL and could only go after a bull... (I'd also like to see the sales of tags stopped once season commences like other animals. Bears and lions.) You can’t buy a trappers license once season starts.

It won't stop all slob hunting from occurring but take a significant number away.

Antelope season's are usually(not always) associated with first timers testing the waters to see if they have what it takes for furthering their hunting experiences. A lot of hunters from east that are checking the west for the first time also come out on an antelope hunt. Also the very young of our sport. So experience is most likely the key to some of the things that go down on an antelope hunt.

Jerym, that fellow you talk about RW is way better looking, and much more intelligent than I.

Have you ever witnessed the MT antelope opener on public land?

I'm 46 lived my whole life in Montana, hunted 34 years of it. You figure it out.

I don't see how giving cow permits would stop slobs from hunting

Your one of the massess of hunters that like the opportunity to kill a cow, calf, or bull without applying for a tag. Giving the tag wouldn't stop slobs but applying for it would help. You at least have to be able to read.

I'll try this one more time for those of you whom haven't witnessed as much as I..

AHHHHhhh.. the "If you were as Smart as me....Been there, done that" start of a conversation ... :D :D

If a guy has to take the time and energy to fill out an application, planning months in advance for a hunt that will take place in 4 months or so, his has already shown the capability to have learned some ethics and knowledge that our sport needs to continue into the next decade, and beyond.

I think that anyone can have applications filled out in every state without much paperwork. I know many that use a Service. Explain how this makes them a better hunter ?

I know for a fact that you don't like Game farms. That being said, I know many guys that plan 4 months ahead to go hunt them. Wouldn't this kill your :

... take place in 4 months or so, his has already shown the capability to have learned some ethics and knowledge that our sport needs to continue into the next decade, and beyond.

Just wondering ;)

Bored tonight Moose.
[QUOTEI think that anyone can have applications filled out in every state without much paperwork. I know many that use a Service. Explain how this makes them a better hunter ?][/QUOTE]

I think you know but I'll humor you.

If you've taken the time to even consider hunting say looking at guns, your more of a hunter than whats showing up on either sex seasons... a % of them don't even own guns. Game farms suck for lots of reasons of which this thread's not headed, but I'll venture to guess that there's more ethical hunters using them than what's showing up on either sex season's.

I don't see the coralation between planning to use a game farm or planning say a antelope hunt... Still take planning.. gear practice... I hate game farms for reason other than that.... If you use one don't pretend it was a wild hunt..say it like it is... Keep them away from Montana....

Now game farm oporations are looked upon as unethical because the animals can't escape or don't stand a chance. That's the type of hunt, not the type of hunter that's brought out in either sex hunts...
Your throwing out your line and not getting it in the water. Go to bed.

Bored ? NAhhh... Just fufilling my posting duties ;)

Notice the Investment section, I haven't slept at all this week. It's 12:30 now, and I still needto find all my stuff to go on a hunt leaving at 3 AM... UHhhh crap, thats not much sleeping :D

I'll head yer advice as soon as I'm done reading a few more articles.... Uhhhh What was I typing again ?!?!? ZZZzzzzzzzzzz

;)

Seriously though, I see what you're tryingto say, but there are pleanty of Slob hunters and poacher sthat invest a Crap loan of time into research. Jsut my .02

Shoots-straight, you are embarrassing yourself.

Nah, not in the least. You don't need a phd to figure out what I'm saying..

I know in the area I hunt the most in when the season structure changed from permits to either sex seasons, the hunter numbers went up from somewhere around 13,000 hunter trips through the Darby check, to 16,000+ in 1 year. That's an addition of 3,000 hunter trips checked. There's also those that weren't checked included... The old elk management plan called for the hunter numbers to be capped at 120000, now they don't even mention hunter numbers in the plan. Embarrassed! Hardily. Madd as hell, is more appropriate. Greenhorn, do you ever take a stand on anything or just try and poke holes?

Antelope season's are usually(not always) associated with first timers testing the waters to see if they have what it takes for furthering their hunting experiences. A lot of hunters from east that are checking the west for the first time also come out on an antelope hunt. Also the very young of our sport. So experience is most likely the key to some of the things that go down on an antelope hunt.

So you are telling me that driving around in your vehicle all day, shooting at running antelope at 500+ yards, not going to look for a blood trail or bother to finish off a 3-legged antelope, etc. is all done by first-timers??? Wow. You must be hunting where alot of 40+ hunters are out for their first time.

I'm 46 lived my whole life in Montana, hunted 34 years of it. You figure it out.

I really can't figure it out...you could be an experienced hunter...but you sound to me like an armchair theorist who sits at a computer all day but only hunts in his dreams

I really can't figure it out...you could be an experienced hunter...but you sound to me like an armchair theorist who sits at a computer all day but only hunts in his dreams

The first part of your post doesn't surprise me at all, the second part's funny.
Your going to have a certain % of slob hunters in any environment. Is what I'm trying for the last time to educate your young brain, is a fact, we had them in the pre 80's, and again now, the 80's and 90's were permit. When the FWP's went to either sex season's, say the third week to the end of season, numbers of hunters out recreating surged through the roof. Fact not theory. I am theorizing on the experience of the new hunters but this is by observing them, not from a computer as you accuse, but by being out during the season, even though I didn't have a tag. I was driving for my kid and hunting partner. Anyway what I saw in the East Fork of the Bitterroot on the first either-sex season was nasty to say the least..These hunters never showed up before, son. I've hunted this area for a long time much longer than you've had hair on your balls. In all those years the quality of hunter was always constant until now.. It's the either-sex cow season that brings them out. They didn't work to well for the elk when numbers of hunters were at pre 1980's levels without wolves, what makes people think they'll work now.

So you are telling me that driving around in your vehicle all day, shooting at running antelope at 500+ yards, not going to look for a blood trail or bother to finish off a 3-legged antelope, etc. is all done by first-timers??? Wow. You must be hunting where a lot of 40+ hunters are out for their first time.

Show me once where I stated this. Sounds like the newbies and beginners that I mentioned. Thanks for reinforcing my stance. You can't control the slob hunters period, but the more of them that flock to an area the worse it is. Not to mention the quality of the hunt takes a big hit. The FWP's sole purpose right now is to deliver the most recreation possible (hunter numbers).

I get the feeling MTbrittney that your one of these oportunitst that I'm talking about..

Rainman, Area 313 is where Deckard Flats is, where we saw all the craziness. It's not "either sex" there. It's branch antlered bulls. If I remember right, there were a lot of 13 plates on the Jardine road that morning.

I HIGHLY doubt you saw 6 plate on the East Fork, while you were road hunting this past fall.

SS,

Not jumping to your defense...but I did hear about some pretty unethical and out-right law breaking going on during the first either sex season in the East Fork.

I dont really know if the either sex seasons bring out the unethical six-fingered banjo pickers in MT or if it just brings out the six-fingered banjo picker in many Montana Hunters. I think most are already borderline on obeying the law and understanding ethics...give them a bit more opportunity and what little ethics they have exit the room immediately.

I honestly believe that 60-70% of MT's hunters dont care about anything other than a dead elk, deer, or antelope in the back of their truck. The easier and quicker that dead critter is in the back, the better. If that means shooting one for your buddy, shooting from the roads, using the truck mirror as a rest, shooting into a herd, taking an atv or snowmobile behind a gate, etc. etc. etc. so be it, as long as the end result is a dead critter. Ethics and sportsmanship in the hunting community is at an all-time low IMO.

I get the feeling MTbrittney that your one of these oportunitst that I'm talking about..

Thank you, but no. I shot my first elk with a cow permit 4 miles from a road, and my second to last bull was killed in a btb only area and this years bull was shot after I waded the Gallatin at 4:30am.

But if I was, wouldn't that undermine your theory? Because accoriding to you, these "opportunists" don't have the sophistication to fill out tag apps or the dedication to dream about next fall on an internet forum all winter.

This place is so funny it is like high school all over. You got your little groups- jocks, nerds, and stoners. The elitist group are the jocks who everybody thinks are cool and want to be like. They always get a 360-class bull by hiking in 17 miles and stabbing it with a knife and throw it over their shoulder and haul it out. Then there is time to go the bar and get drunk and call each other gay. The elitists never give advise to the few newbs who ask a questions here no matter how much they want to sit at the jock table.

Shoots straight is not a road hunter but a very good hard working hunter, why argue with these guys? I know hunting season is over and you must be bored. For me, I don’t road hunt but if I saw one while driving out I liked, it would go down like a blond on prom night. Then again I don’t want to sit at the jock table. If I did there would just be one more a$$hole at the table.

Several years ago I shot a cow in the Gardiner late season hunt and it was quite an adventure. My buddy and I were going over for 2 days and he gets a bull during regular season so he is out. I wasn't going to go by myself and my wife wanted to go and so she hung around the Super 8 in Gardiner and I went on my first guided hunt.

I never needed the guide just the horse to pull the elk out because snow was scarce that year and the elk were quite a way back in. So I meet up with my a$$hole guide at the secret spot by the gate with 5 huge horse trailors. I get with this guy and my horse Toby and we head up in the dark. I am not a horse person so I was always lagging a bit behind. I caught up to the guide who stopped 30 seconds to glass a large opening. As soon as I get there he takes off and I say there are 5 elk. He said where as if I was full of shit, so I point them out and ask him if we should go after them about a half a mile away. He is thinking and I see another bunch of hunters in blaze orange on horses headed toward them. I say well lets forget that there is a bunch of hunters trying to cut them off. You know what he says? "Where?" I started laughing and pointed them out to him.

I did get a cow later that I spotted and showed him and his horse drug it out. I guess I am a low life for this hunt but I actually had fun riding a horse and looking at different scenery but hated the blind guide. This was before walkie talkies were illegal and his buddy guide never got into elk for their hunter so while riding out I spot a herd of 100 elk and you know what he said- Where? I kid you not.

This place is so funny it is like high school all over. You got your little groups- jocks, nerds, and stoners. The elitist group are the jocks who everybody thinks are cool and want to be like. They always get a 360-class bull by hiking in 17 miles and stabbing it with a knife and throw it over their shoulder and haul it out. Then there is time to go the bar and get drunk and call each other gay. The elitists never give advise to the few newbs who ask a questions here no matter how much they want to sit at the jock table.

Shoots straight is not a road hunter but a very good hard working hunter, why argue with these guys? I know hunting season is over and you must be bored. For me, I don’t road hunt but if I saw one while driving out I liked, it would go down like a blond on prom night. Then again I don’t want to sit at the jock table. If I did there would just be one more a$$hole at the table.

Several years ago I shot a cow in the Gardiner late season hunt and it was quite an adventure. My buddy and I were going over for 2 days and he gets a bull during regular season so he is out. I wasn't going to go by myself and my wife wanted to go and so she hung around the Super 8 in Gardiner and I went on my first guided hunt.

I never needed the guide just the horse to pull the elk out because snow was scarce that year and the elk were quite a way back in. So I meet up with my a$$hole guide at the secret spot by the gate with 5 huge horse trailors. I get with this guy and my horse Toby and we head up in the dark. I am not a horse person so I was always lagging a bit behind. I caught up to the guide who stopped 30 seconds to glass a large opening. As soon as I get there he takes off and I say there are 5 elk. He said where as if I was full of shit, so I point them out and ask him if we should go after them about a half a mile away. He is thinking and I see another bunch of hunters in blaze orange on horses headed toward them. I say well lets forget that there is a bunch of hunters trying to cut them off. You know what he says? "Where?" I started laughing and pointed them out to him.

I did get a cow later that I spotted and showed him and his horse drug it out. I guess I am a low life for this hunt but I actually had fun riding a horse and looking at different scenery but hated the blind guide. This was before walkie talkies were illegal and his buddy guide never got into elk for their hunter so while riding out I spot a herd of 100 elk and you know what he said- Where? I kid you not.

That's cool that SS got his dad to post here..........

I think this is why there will never be more public hunting someplaces. Most people in Texas that I know, will not go public hunting because of stories like this.

(Note: I only read the first page before I typed this, so if anything good follows that, I missed it.)

:D
The elitist group are the jocks who everybody thinks are cool and want to be like. They always get a 360-class bull by hiking in 17 miles and stabbing it with a knife and throw it over their shoulder and haul it out. Then there is time to go the bar and get drunk and call each other gay. .

well, i never killed a big bull, So i don't fit into the elite group but what the hell.... Your a fag!:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back