Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

SB 151 - Right to hunt

Oak

Expert
SB 151 was introduced Wednesday by Sonnenberg.

33-1-101. Legislative declaration. (1.5) IN ORDER TO PRESERVE COLORADO'S HUNTING AND FISHING HERITAGE,
THE PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT TO HUNT, FISH, AND HARVEST WILDLIFE. THIS RIGHT DOES NOT
ALLOW TRESPASSING ON PRIVATE PROPERTY; AFFECT WATER RIGHTS; PREVENT THE PARKS AND WILDLIFE
COMMISSION, OR A HEARING OFFICER WITH AUTHORITY DELEGATED BY THE PARKS AND WILDLIFE COMMISSION,
FROM SUSPENDING OR REVOKING AN INDIVIDUAL'S HUNTING, FISHING, OR GAME-HARVESTING LICENSE; OR
DIMINISH OTHER PRIVATE RIGHTS.

It is similar to what many other states have done recently...clarifying hunting, trapping and fishing as a right, rather than a privilege subject to social pressures and prevailing public sentiment.

What I would really like to see is a constitutional amendment banning wildlife management by ballot initiative. I doubt we have the votes for that, though.

What I would really like to see is a constitutional amendment banning wildlife management by ballot initiative. I doubt we have the votes for that, though.

Now that is a great idea. The ballot box biology is a huge part of what is making some of this conservation/wildlife management so difficult.

If you have any ideas of how that can be accomplished, I would like to know. I have been in on discussions with national organizations that have pondered this exact strategy.

If MT had that in place, we would still have Game Farms.

I don't think limiting the rights of people to change laws if their legislature won't do it is a good thing. Bad initiatives can still get on the ballot, but all that means is people have to engage in the democratic process and fight back. I'll take liberty over expediency, myself.

IIRC Larry Jent (Bozeman) wanted to introduce legislation to eliminate ballot initiatives for wildlife management (2012?) but got a lot of kickback and dropped it.

Last edited:
If MT had that in place, we would still have Game Farms.

I don't think limiting the rights of people to change laws if their legislature won't do it is a good thing. Bad initiatives can still get on the ballot, but all that means is people have to engage in the democratic process and fight back. I'll take liberty over expediency, myself.

Very Good Point..

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back