SB 137 - Landowner agreements

Oak

Expert
SB 137 was introduced by Sonnenberg last Friday, March 4. It clarifies that the Parks and Wildlife Commission
has the authority to enter into agreements with landowners for public access, in exchange for licenses
(in addition to landowner preference licenses). In other words, they can trade limited licenses for private land access.

NOTHING IN SECTION 33-4-103 LIMITS THE AUTHORITY OF THE COMMISSION BOTH TO ENTER INTO
AN AGREEMENT AND TO INCLUDE THE ISSUANCE OF A HUNTING LICENSE IN THE AGREEMENT. NOTHING
IN SECTION 33-3-103.5 LIMITS THE AUTHORITY OF THE COMMISSION TO NEGOTIATE THE WAIVER
OF GAME DAMAGE ELIGIBILITY IN AN AGREEMENT.

I personally don't believe we should give away an even larger slice of the limited license pie in exchange for access. Landowners already get 20% in the west and 25% in the east. Opinions may vary.

How could that be a win-win Zach? Those licenses most likely come out of our quota, which will increase point creep. I'm sure the private access we would get would not be worth the tags involved. Giving a government agency unlimited authority to dole out tags sounds like a bad deal to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back