Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

savage vs howa

skimerhorn

I can't decide between a savage or howa 25-06. I can get the savage 111 with a nikon scope for the same price as the howa with a Nikka scope. Before I saw randy show I'd never heard of howa. Can anyone recommend one higher then the other? I can get either for about 550.

If it were me, I'd go howa all day long. I personally still find savage to be "clunky" despite their improvements. That said, any savage I have had shoots great. I still prefer the feel of the howa. Good luck

I have hunted all over North America with a 1973 Savage 110 in 30-06,It has always been dependable and one of the most accurate rifles I own. That being said I like the feel of the HOWA and there fit to finish appears pretty good.

If memory and the internet are correct, the centerfire rifles of Savage are made in the USA, HOWA is Japan? I guess I prefer to support american made if I can these days, so Savage is the gun I would go with.

I sport the Howa 1500 .30-06, love it! My wife shoots the Savage 111 .270. Both rifles have taken a few animals so IMO either rifle is a good choice. I prefer the feel of the hogue stock on the Howa and it can certainly take a beating in the field. Like mtmuley said, the scopes they put on in the package deal are not the best, which ever one you choose I'd suggest buying it without the scope and mounting a higher quality one after.

+1 for Savage....I shoot the 110 in 30-06 and it has been great to me. I am considering the Howa youth set up for my daughter (the adult sized stock included is a nice touch) but I like the accu-trigger and the bolt cycle on the Savage. I think they both shoot great and it is a taste thing/

If it were me, I'd go howa all day long. I personally still find savage to be "clunky" despite their improvements. That said, any savage I have had shoots great. I still prefer the feel of the howa. Good luck

This but the scope would have to go.

I have both in 7mm Rem Mag. I changed the glass on both. They like vastly different loads but both are very accurate with me being the limiting factor. If I want to appear old school I take the Savage with the wood stock, if I want to look progressive I take the Howa. Buy both, what the hell.
Disclaimer: Now that I think about it, I actually own a Weatherby (manufactured by Howa) I always just assume it's a Howa.

If you aren't stuck on those two rifles, WalMart has the Remington 700 ADL rifles for just over 300 bucks. I've seen where guys have used coupons and such to lower the price too. Hell of a deal. mtmuley

Were it me, I'd invest a couple more dollars and get a Tikka.. hands down the winner in the medium to low price end of the game. Given the choice between Howa and Savage, I would go with Howa..

I have the Savage model 110 in 30-06, it is a great shooting gun.
and as others have said, it is American made, that means a lot to me.

Kevin

While I cannot stand the chunky feel of the savage, I hate to say it but I've yet to see a savage that didn't shoot moa or better. Most of them are better than moa guns.

just get a weatherby vanguard S2, you can get it in 25-06 or the awesome 257 weatherby mag! weatherby customer service is great if you ever need them.

I have the savage American classic , nicer wood, as everyone else said, it is very accurate. I paid a lot more $ for a browning x bolt that looks better, feels better, but the Savage accutrigger is WAY better!!

The Accutrigger is the biggest reason I don't care for Savage rifles. Old school I guess, mtmuley

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back