Caribou Gear

Savage .243. what to do?

shaffe48

So I bought a used Savage 110 in .243 to use for extra target practice back when I had my .300 win. I would shoot 5 rounds from my .300 and then shoot my .243. but then I decided it was too much effort to shoot my .300 well so I bought a heavy barrel .308 in a Savage predator 110. Wonderful rifle. I shot a black bear with it and he didn't go 10 yards. I just bought a muzzle brake for it. But now that I have a rifle that shoots cheeper and kicks less than my .243, what should I do with my .243!?

My ideas so far is to buy a wood stock and make it a pretty rifle. Or change barrel for a .308 and make it into a light handy rifle for close range. Or a .338 federal. Or make it into an ultimate varmint rifle. But I don't hunt varmints. Or just keep it as is and give it to my kid if I ever have a kid. Any ideas?

making a Savage "pretty" seems like an oxymoron.

Spin on a lighter 7mm-08 barrel and hunt away. OR you could put on a target barrel and a better stock to make yourself a budget target rifle.

Haha. I'll tell you I'm typically surprised when I get down to the target with this .243 rifle. Like I didn't think I shot anywhere near that well but according to the evidence apparently I did. A wood stock Savage could be pretty. Just depends on your standards. Based my new .308 my standards of beautiful might be low?

I'd go hunting with it!!
You saying 308 is cheaper to shoot instantly tells me you are NOT a reloader.

You sold the 300WM. Put a muzzle break on your 308. Ya think maybe this is tell'n ya something??

If it shoots well, then why do anything? A heavy barrel doesn't make it kill groundhogs any better, and it can be just as light and handy as a .308. Keep it and go kill something. I'd trade it before I rebarreled it.

I've shot a lot of Savage rifles and they are almost always 'shooters.' If you're wanting to do something, look at Stocky's stocks and see if one of their wood laminate stocks catches your eye. Also, if you've ever wanted to try a DIY stock paint job try that first and if it just doesn't work then go wood.

In a bolt rifle i'd go 260 Rem way before the 6.5 Manbun.
If he were shooting an AR10, or had detachable mag i'd say yeah do the Manbun.
But a Savage bolt.. Naaaa

Thinking that I'll put a wood stock on it and maybe chop the Barrell to make it a carbine. Not sure if the 6.5 will work for me because it'd duplicate my .308 heavy barrel in terms of purpose. I might stick with the .243 to keep the ability to cross over from varmints to deer. A good woods carbine that can also reach out to 300 yards and work fine for varmints...that could be useful.

...or iight just keep it in my safe. Current rifle is keeping me entertained for the moment

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back