Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

new chambering

Don Fischer

Well threw the dice and looks like my 700 ADL get's a new barrel. It's a 243 but also have another 243, a Mossberg Patriot. Gonna go with a 250-3000. Have to take it to bend to the gunsmith. Young guy that re'choked a SxS for me and his dad re-barreled a couple rifles for me quite a few years ago. Shoot called them and they knew who I was. They got something in their phone tells them whos calling. Mademe feel pretty important! supposed to run me about $800 but don't know what barrel it is yet. The two his dad did for me have Shilen barrels on them! Hoping it will be an extra deer rifle! 22" barrel with 1-10" twist so I can use heavier bullets. Got a ton of 117gr Hornadys for my 25-06!

Sounds fun. Anneal the case necks after necking up if you choose to go with 22-250 brass.

@Don Fischer,

A fine cartridge choice!
I picked up an E.R. Shaw 24" Savage sporter barrel on an "over run special" about 5 years ago. $100
I couldn't pass it up!
Screwed it onto my Stevens 200 after shooting out the 7mm-08AI barrel. 6,000+ rounds will do that.
Bought a Savage Axis II on the cheap in 7mm-08. Swapped the barrels so the 250 Savage is now on the Axis II action.

The barrel has taken 3 deer & 6 or so coyotes thus far.

Excellent coyote cartridge out to 400 yards (my furthest coyote so far).
Cartridge does very well using 75gr Sierra HP Varminter & 90gr Sierra BlitzKings over a charge of Alliant Varmint powder.

For deer i used the 100gr Ballistic Tips over RL17.

Casing wise i've just been using Hornady 250 Savage cases. Have worked just fine for hunting purposes.

Keep us appraised of how things work out for you!

Tell ya what, been looking for brass for several days and it don't exist. So asked somewhere what it could be made from and best answer seem's to be 22-250 with one problem. Seem's you neck it up to 250 and the neck walls get to thin and may rupture! The original 250-3000 case's were made from 30-06 case's, sounds like a lot of work. Thinking I might go to 260 Rem instead. I got a bunch of 308 case's and know they work! Nice thing about this is I have everything I might hunt the rest of my life covered and don't need a new rifle, it's a want. Never imagined finding case's would be that hard. Shoot I was ale to find some old buffalo gun case's. How many guys really have a 45-90? I'm not sure what has really caused all of this. Guy's still shoot but for some reason component company's just can't seem to produce component's today like they did yesterday. Shoot, guy's paying way over normal and they still can't keep up! frustrating. Even see it on bullets. Can't believe how many bullet's are out of stock.

About powder. System back in the late 60's and early 70's at a store I got my stuff from in Montana. They didn't sell bulk powder other than by the pound. I'd go get a certain powder and it was dished out 1# at a time from bulk container's into small paper bags. Looked at an 8# can of powder the other day and the thing was over $300! I won't be getting any at these prices any time soon. I don't think it's all horder's either, it's the manufacturer's themselves playing games with us!

Tell ya what, been looking for brass for several days and it don't exist. So asked somewhere what it could be made from and best answer seem's to be 22-250 with one problem. Seem's you neck it up to 250 and the neck walls get to thin and may rupture! The original 250-3000 case's were made from 30-06 case's, sounds like a lot of work. Thinking I might go to 260 Rem instead. I got a bunch of 308 case's and know they work! Nice thing about this is I have everything I might hunt the rest of my life covered and don't need a new rifle, it's a want. Never imagined finding case's would be that hard. Shoot I was ale to find some old buffalo gun case's. How many guys really have a 45-90? I'm not sure what has really caused all of this. Guy's still shoot but for some reason component company's just can't seem to produce component's today like they did yesterday. Shoot, guy's paying way over normal and they still can't keep up! frustrating. Even see it on bullets. Can't believe how many bullet's are out of stock.

About powder. System back in the late 60's and early 70's at a store I got my stuff from in Montana. They didn't sell bulk powder other than by the pound. I'd go get a certain powder and it was dished out 1# at a time from bulk container's into small paper bags. Looked at an 8# can of powder the other day and the thing was over $300! I won't be getting any at these prices any time soon. I don't think it's all horder's either, it's the manufacturer's themselves playing games with us!
In stock right now. Costal firearms. Give em a Google and it pops right up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230319-133031.png
    Screenshot_20230319-133031.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 4
@Don Fischer,

As i've said, i'm using Hornady 250 Savage cases with no issues.
I do believe i have some Remington cases if you want them.

If forming fro. 308 cases, why not the 25 Souper (ala 25-308)??
Well with all the road blocks I made a decission. Gonna go with a 260 Rem! Right now I have everything I need for anything I might hunt the rest of my life so this gun has nothing to do with need, all about want! Have though about the 260 a lot and am a fan of 6.5's so, found brass and dies and going for it. Gun goes to smith tomorrow!

Well got my 700 back Monday, 260 Rem. Smith that did it bedded it and trued the action. Now has to cool down some so I can get out and shoot it. Got a lilja barrel on it. Don't know a thing about them but everything I've heard has been good so I'm good to go!

They are great barrels, most likely a 3 groove. They tend to work extremely well with Barnes bullets. The wider groove gives more resistance against copper and allows you to get away with slower powders. In turn they tend to shoot faster. I am hoping you got it in a 8 twist.

No it's a 9 twisy. Only plan on shoot up to 130gr bullet's in it. 6.5x06 also has an 8 twist but handles 140gr bullet's very well.

Back