Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

.243 Winchester

Two7D

I'm trying to decide on a new rifle for the kids. I'm currently thinking of getting a Ruger American Go Wild or the Savage 110 Trail Hunter. I have more experience with Savage vs. Ruger and know that Savage is typically accurate but can also be picky. Seems like the vast majority of reviews on the Ruger Americans rave about how accurate they are with just about anything they are fed. What do you all think?
On a side note do you know what the barrel length is on the Ruger American Go Wild not including the muzzle break?

Thanks in advance

A quick google search turned up this on the Ruger. I looked it up mostly because I wanted to see what the Go Wild series looked like but I figured I'd share what I found. IMG_3490.jpeg

If you really love your kids...

...gunzonedeals.com (seems scammy but is legit) has some blowout pricing on Tikkas. I just ordered a stainless T3X in 243 with 1:8 twist for $665 shipped (with the Tikka $75 rebate). The blued versions are about $100 cheaper, and they might even have a compact version. Make sure to look up the model number though to confirm twist rate, since the older versions had 1:10 twist.

Edit - kind of a PITA to order, you have to click the email for best price and they send you a one-time link. Probably best to just check out as a guest, or register for an account and log in before submitting the request for quote.

I'm trying to decide on a new rifle for the kids. I'm currently thinking of getting a Ruger American Go Wild or the Savage 110 Trail Hunter. I have more experience with Savage vs. Ruger and know that Savage is typically accurate but can also be picky. Seems like the vast majority of reviews on the Ruger Americans rave about how accurate they are with just about anything they are fed. What do you all think?
On a side note do you know what the barrel length is on the Ruger American Go Wild not including the muzzle break?

Thanks in advance
Try to find a "old" tang safety - pre - warning .243 Ruger. Mannlichter if possible, for a reasonanle price. This carbine is iight , nimble fit, beautiful walnut stocks and flawless bright blued finish as good as any mega $ long gun and honestly was a tack driver. I killed over a 100 whitetail deer over the years with my manny (yes I said 100.) Longest season in the country back then. Aug.15- Jan. 1 in S.Carolina with mine and my 3 boys used it growing up as well..a well placed shot will drop em everytime. Never lost an animal. Fine gun, when RUGER was building one of the best mass maket guns back in the day. Damn, I loved that gun...wish Ibstill had her...She was a perfect lope gun.

Howa mini action 6mm arc. Has a better rate of twist than the 243 for heavier bullets. Brownells has barreled actions and you can get whatever stock best fits the shooter. Bell and carlson sells stocks for the mini.

Just a question on caliber choice. What are you planning on them hunting with it? 7mm-08 is a fantastic round for everyone. If my wife would let me I would probably use her 7mm-08 for everything....but she gives me the look when I ask to take it! She is very recoil sensitive and enjoys shooting it.

I’d go Ruger American or Savage Axis. Both are cheap, but known to shoot. Couldn’t go wrong with either I’d say.

243 Win is a great choice for a young hunter. My kids all started shooting that when they were young. I have a couple Savage rifles and really like the Accu trigger. I would lean that way but I'm sure the Ruger would be a good choice as well.

If you really love your kids...

...gunzonedeals.com (seems scammy but is legit) has some blowout pricing on Tikkas. I just ordered a stainless T3X in 243 with 1:8 twist for $665 shipped (with the Tikka $75 rebate). The blued versions are about $100 cheaper, and they might even have a compact version. Make sure to look up the model number though to confirm twist rate, since the older versions had 1:10 twist.

Edit - kind of a PITA to order, you have to click the email for best price and they send you a one-time link. Probably best to just check out as a guest, or register for an account and log in before submitting the request for quote.
Wow, they do have some good prices. Thanks for posting.

Savage will eventually fight itself to death. Ruger will most likely work fine.

You didn't ask about cartridge choice so I won't suggest something different just because 243 is worse than every other option.

I picked up a Ruger American in .243 with a vortex crossfire scope for my son's 1st deer season rifle this year from Scheels for under $600. Under 200 yards it's a great rifle. scope is meh. I put an Athlon Argos HMR 2-12x42mm on it. Opening day of deer season he filled his tag, dropped a 2x2 from 29yards in a ground blind. The look on his face worth every penny. He is 14 and LOVES that rifle. I offered to start him on a 6.5CM this coming year to step him up in cartridge size and he said "no my ruger is perfect"

Attachments

• IMG_8263.jpeg
    IMG_8263.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 16
I picked up a Ruger American in .243 with a vortex crossfire scope for my son's 1st deer season rifle this year from Scheels for under $600. Under 200 yards it's a great rifle. scope is meh. I put an Athlon Argos HMR 2-12x42mm on it. Opening day of deer season he filled his tag, dropped a 2x2 from 29yards in a ground blind. The look on his face worth every penny. He is 14 and LOVES that rifle. I offered to start him on a 6.5CM this coming year to step him up in cartridge size and he said "no my ruger is perfect"
Great job! He sure looks like he was having fun.

Just a question on caliber choice. What are you planning on them hunting with it? 7mm-08 is a fantastic round for everyone. If my wife would let me I would probably use her 7mm-08 for everything....but she gives me the look when I ask to take it! She is very recoil sensitive and enjoys shooting it.
Mostly deer and pronghorn

Savage will eventually fight itself to death. Ruger will most likely work fine.

You didn't ask about cartridge choice so I won't suggest something different just because 243 is worse than every other option.
What do you mean by 'Savage will eventually fight itself to death'?

Nice buck! It's truly a proud moment when our kids get their first big game. I'm looking for the lightest recoil as possible as I know that's what my kids prefer. That being said if I got the Ruger American Go Wild I'd probably remove the muzzle break so there wouldn't be excessive noise as they don't like that either.

I have a Savage Model 11 .243 that shoots good and a RA 7/08 that is also good. Either one will serve you well. Unless you reload .243 ammo is more widely available.

And the .243 is worse than any other option. Frickin funny. mtmuley
Savage assembles those actions from boxes of parts, sending the group of parts that work well enough together out the door. They wear and then go clunk, developing feeding issues.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back