Kenetrek Boots

Satelite cell phones?

T-Mo has partnered with starlink, VzW and ATT just signed a contracts with Ast spacemobile....the race for nation wide 5G from satellites has begun. Give it 2 years and you will be able to toss the inreach/zelo...won't be cheap at 1st but you will be able to. Looks like you will have to go thru a carrier, not direct to one of the Sat companies.

One negative, can only use in a handful of countries. Obviously usa is the main useful one, but I was hoping it would be useful on international travel, doesn't appear to be the case unless you travel to one of the dozen or so listed countries. They musta partnered with the satellite provider that has the more limited coverage worldwide.

Also extreme northern areas aren't covered in Alaska and Canada.

Not a perfect solution but still not bad being that it's built in and covers the majority of us in the wilderness

is that iphone battery gonna last in the backcountry like my garmin though?

that's the only hold up i see on garmin being toast... for the time being.

is that iphone battery gonna last in the backcountry like my garmin though?

that's the only hold up i see on garmin being toast... for the time being.
That is my question as well. Not just the sat messaging but all the AI stuff they want to build in. battery is a big limiting factor and a constant problem with new technology. I would hope you could turn it on/off in the settings.

That is my question as well. Not just the sat messaging but all the AI stuff they want to build in. battery is a big limiting factor and a constant problem with new technology. I would hope you could turn it on/off in the settings.

I’m a very slow adopter of all things. But, my stubbornness notwithstanding i think alot of folks who do more than day trip style recreation are gonna very much wanna maintain a dedicated safety device.

Phones are for pictures, videos, onX, and honestly aren’t as rugged as an inreach device and adding in the necessity to recharge to also maintain the absolute necessity of a safety net becomes too much for me. And on top of all that, my device has been purchased already, it won’t be until it’s too old or breaks that I will re think all of this. But until then, that garmin subscription is gonna be turned on from basically May through November every year.

Back