Zoleo vs. Garmin Inreach for Satellite Communications ?

windymtnman

I'm thinking about getting a satellite communicator for the backcountry, as there is no cellular signals where I go.
I know a few things about the Garmin Inreach units, but now I hear there's a product called Zoleo communicators, that apparently function in concert with your cell phone?
Does anyone have a Zoleo unit, and if so, how do you like it? Is it easy and reliable to use? How about the cost of a subscription compared to a Garmin unit? Is it easy to understand and use, and work well? Pros and cons of each? Thanks!

As mentioned...at this exact moment the Garmin Mini beats the Zoleo because you can write messages on the device...it takes a long time but you can do it while the Zoleo (at least as I'm seeing it) is just preprogrammed check-ins. Without your phone the Zoleo basically becomes a better version of the original SPOT device (check-in and emergency only). Another is I think we can all agree that Garmin has staying power while Zoleo is a new company without the roots to keep it there...obviously big corps do fail or get hacked but 1 bad quarter for a small company and it could be over.

Cost wise the devices are the same though they both go on sale periodically

Subscriptions vary quite a bit so you'll have to research how much you'll use them and when to justify that portion...spending 15 minutes on their respective sites with a pen and paper will get you the answer you need. Garmin preset messages (you can customize online to whatever you want) are included in your subscription while Zoleo looks to "cost" each message sent.

Last edited:
I went with a zoleo this year. Heard great things from others and it’s ease of use in the field. I will report back in December with a review

I sold my inreach and bought a zoleo. Very similar but the communication from one person with a Zoleo to another is much smoother than if you are using an inreach.

I purchased a Zoleo a month ago and will be using it next week in Colorado backcountry. I liked the ease of use and the fact that it was $150 less than the Inreach mini. Data plans were about the same except with Zoleo I can suspend the $35 monthly fee when it is not hunting season. It costs $4 per month the keep my account active during the off season. If I read correctly Garmin requires a 12 month service contact at $35 per month.

I purchased a Zoleo a month ago and will be using it next week in Colorado backcountry. I liked the ease of use and the fact that it was $150 less than the Inreach mini. Data plans were about the same except with Zoleo I can suspend the $35 monthly fee when it is not hunting season. It costs $4 per month the keep my account active during the off season. If I read correctly Garmin requires a 12 month service contact at $35 per month.

That isn't correct. They charge an annual fee of $35 if you want to suspend your monthly service.

Depending on the plan they are very close in price. Generally the Garmin plans are a little cheaper. If you don't want to sign up for a 12 month plan you can suspend your monthly service on Garmin. Depending on how many months you use it the price is very close. Garmin charges $35 per year, Zoleo charges $4 per month you don't use it. If you use it 10 months and suspend it 2 months that comes out to $3.50 per month for Garmin and $4 per month for Zoleo. If you are going to suspend it for 8 or less months it comes out a little cheaper for the Zoleo. Garmin's safety plan ($14.95 per month) is cheaper than Zoleo but the Zoleo mid tier price is a little cheaper than Garmin I think. If you use the preset messages on the Garmin I'm not sure that you really need to sign up for anything higher than the safety plan personally.

I tend to use mine just a month or two each year so the Garmin plan is a bit cheaper.

That isn't correct. They charge an annual fee of $35 if you want to suspend your monthly service.

Depending on the plan they are very close in price. Generally the Garmin plans are a little cheaper. If you don't want to sign up for a 12 month plan you can suspend your monthly service on Garmin. Depending on how many months you use it the price is very close. Garmin charges $35 per year, Zoleo charges $4 per month you don't use it. If you use it 10 months and suspend it 2 months that comes out to $3.50 per month for Garmin and $4 per month for Zoleo. If you are going to suspend it for 8 or less months it comes out a little cheaper for the Zoleo. Garmin's safety plan ($14.95 per month) is cheaper than Zoleo but the Zoleo mid tier price is a little cheaper than Garmin I think. If you use the preset messages on the Garmin I'm not sure that you really need to sign up for anything higher than the safety plan personally.

I tend to use mine just a month or two each year so the Garmin plan is a bit cheaper.
I must have misread the fine print. Thank you for the clarification.

For anyone that used Zoleo last fall, how did it perform? Would you buy again or suggest the Garmin inReach Mini (2)?

I have a zoleo but no experience with the inreach. I was able to get weather updates and text the wife. It seemed to work just fine maybe a little slower than the typical text but thats to be expected.

Went with the Garmin Inreach mini, can be used in tandem with cell phone, or as a stand alone if needed.

Never tried the Zoleo, but have heard good things about it.

Still have my InReach from DeLorme days and it's great! If I was to purchase modern, I'd stick with InReach.

I've been in backcountry and my wife contacted me due to a family matter, pulled tent stakes and returned.
My wife guided me out of an area I was in via the map application associated with InReach on her end with 5 minute pings in pitch black / no moon conditions.
I've used InReach that saved a person's life along a stretch of road w/o any cell service.

It's on the Iridium Satellite and from my understanding it's one of the best.

I can not speak for Zoleo. I've heard it's a good unit. What I know is what has worked great so I'll stick with what works great. Best to you in your decision.

Do any users have a more recent update regarding this Zoleo vs. InReach topic? I'm on the fence about which to get, and I would be someone that uses it only a month or two each year.
Thanks!

I’m in the middle of a month long use of ZOLEO from my employer. I’ve used a mini for the last 4 years and have to say the ZOLEO app is pretty easy to use. That along with in app texting for anyone that has it is also pretty slick. They claim 200 hrs of standby but both my drawdowns only lasted roughly 125 hrs. The mini definitely has the edge if something happens to your phone but so far ZOLEO has impressed me. I’ll know better at the end of the month as I’ve only been in the backcountry a few day so far with no problems sending and receiving.

I ended up going with the Garmin inReach Mini 2 for my early September archery mule deer hunt in Colorado. I downloaded the app to my cell before I left and it worked great for texting when there was no cell service. It established a Bluetooth connection between the device and your phone. Battery life was great although I charged it almost every night since I had access to electricity. The track feature was good although I think the similar feature on GoHunt's app was better. If your cell is damaged or lost, still have access to the S.O.S. feature and some tracking features on the inReach.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuntND90
Back