New Phone Advice

The amount of times I’ve had to tell stubborn field guys “Yep, only works on an IPhone…” when they can’t get various apps to work.

Company pays for them so you’re just a jackass if you demand the shittier phone.
I'm pretty sure we're in the same business but I don't have data on my iPad so I don't really use it too much. Plangrid is about the only thing I use. I'm going to download some of the personal apps I use on my phone to see if I can adjust to iOS.

So far the biggest gripe is the lack of a "back" button if that makes sense?

I'll fly the anything but apple flag until I die or finally give up on technology completely. I have principles.

@wllm My 2010 surface pro still works great.

But I'll be the first to admit my galaxy kinda sucks. I'm just not switching. Tried a Pixal last year, returned it after a couple weeks, it was a lemon.
For the record I definitely don't like apple... but I'm also pragmatic and just want stuff to work.

I'm pretty sure we're in the same business but I don't have data on my iPad so I don't really use it too much. Plangrid is about the only thing I use. I'm going to download some of the personal apps I use on my phone to see if I can adjust to iOS.

So far the biggest gripe is the lack of a "back" button if that makes sense?
Yeah definitely, it takes a bit to figure out how to "get around" on each device, and even model to model, I pick up and Iphone 6 or a pixel and it takes me a bit to remember how to do stuff.

There are a number of different issues that I deal with a lot but for me the most annoying is the app integration on the android products. For instance if you're using various ESRI mapping products and you want driving directions to a point on the map you can just click/tap and hold and then you get a prompt to route to that point. Can't do that with other devices.

Also copy/pasting doesn't seem to work as well, folks seem to struggle more using OnX on non IOS devices.

My buddies garmin doesn't pair as easy with his samsung as mine does with my Iphone.

And then all the IOS specific things like Imessage, air drop, bumping wifi passwords, etc. None are dealbreakers and all are obvious attempts to keep people in the Iphone club... but also it's nice to be able to share 150 full res photos with my buddy after a trip, currently to keep the resolution I have to send them via WhatsAPP like 10 or 20 at a time... which is super annoying, or create a google photo group album. Again not a dealbreaker but also annoying.

Also the Iphone and ear pod game is unmatched in my opinion.

For the record I definitely don't like apple... but I'm also pragmatic and just want stuff to work.

Yeah definitely, it takes a bit to figure out how to "get around" on each device, and even model to model, I pick up and Iphone 6 or a pixel and it takes me a bit to remember how to do stuff.

There are a number of different issues that I deal with a lot but for me the most annoying is the app integration on the android products. For instance if you're using various ESRI mapping products and you want driving directions to a point on the map you can just click/tap and hold and then you get a prompt to route to that point. Can't do that with other devices.

Also copy/pasting doesn't seem to work as well, folks seem to struggle more using OnX on non IOS devices.

My buddies garmin doesn't pair as easy with his samsung as mine does with my Iphone.

And then all the IOS specific things like Imessage, air drop, bumping wifi passwords, etc. None are dealbreakers and all are obvious attempts to keep people in the Iphone club... but also it's nice to be able to share 150 full res photos with my buddy after a trip, currently to keep the resolution I have to send them via WhatsAPP like 10 or 20 at a time... which is super annoying, or create a google photo group album. Again not a dealbreaker but also annoying.

Also the Iphone and ear pod game is unmatched in my opinion.
The bolded items are some of the reasons I'm thinking about switching. But what's funny is that the last time I had to call OnX for support the guy I talked to had the same phone as me. Is the GPS pretty accurate on the Iphones? Even with the power saving mode off, my GPS takes forever to settle and also the tracking doesn't work in OnX.

Got a 14 pro max today and it seems the 5G is not working :(. Guess it's back to the store to get it looked at....the screen is amazing though....

The bolded items are some of the reasons I'm thinking about switching. But what's funny is that the last time I had to call OnX for support the guy I talked to had the same phone as me. Is the GPS pretty accurate on the Iphones? Even with the power saving mode off, my GPS takes forever to settle and also the tracking doesn't work in OnX.
Part of that is location and cellular network infrastructure. That could be a whole long winded post.

Generally speaking I think the GPS is pretty good, the antennas on the phone are good.

I think I'm going to stick with the Samsung. The S22 price is better than the newest iPhones and I might be able to get something for the trade. Anybody ever buy a phone just to trade? My S8 Active is too old but the lady at the AT&T store said I could get $800 if I brought in an S10+. I also think the full amount on trade depends on having unlimited talk and data, which I don't have.

Got a 14 pro max today and it seems the 5G is not working :(. Guess it's back to the store to get it looked at....the screen is amazing though....
I got this all sorted....good luck with the sammy, you really can't go wrong with either phone.

Biggest thing as an outdoorsman that sucks about iPhone - their batteries are the worst. If you are charging through a battery bank then you will get 1/2 to 2/3 of the charges of your Samsung. They have a bigger battery and they loose battery quicker. I took two older phones with me on my sheep hunt and sitting in my pocket - both with only Map Apps running the iPhone lost more charge. On a 11 day Sheep hunt I used more of my battery bank recharging my iPhone and InReach Mini then my buddy did his Android (Samsung or LG) and his InReach Explorer+.
That is my only issue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back