MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Saratoga WY Mule Deer

hunt1up

Our group is going to the Saratoga area this fall for a cow elk hunt. We also secured some mule deer tags. I'm not here looking for locations or any of that. I did my research on success rates and have the maps and all the usual things that are needed when planning a trip. Just wondered if anyone could give me an idea of how the deer herd looks in the area. I've only hunted NE Wyoming for deer so this is new. Just wondering what to expect for numbers and quality.

Thanks to anyone that might provide some insight.

Nice deer come out of that area, but the densities are really low right now after the winterkills of the last few years. Where will you be hunting for elk?

If you want info on the deer herd this year, I would try and give the local biologist and warden a call. They will have the best information on what the heard looks like. You may also call the NF and chat with some of their staff, as the majority of the deer herd in that area is migratory and this time of year are going to be up pretty high, but by the time you hunt them this fall will be down lower in the middle to lower fringes of the forest.

Nice deer come out of that area, but the densities are really low right now after the winterkills of the last few years. Where will you be hunting for elk?

If you want info on the deer herd this year, I would try and give the local biologist and warden a call. They will have the best information on what the heard looks like. You may also call the NF and chat with some of their staff, as the majority of the deer herd in that area is migratory and this time of year are going to be up pretty high, but by the time you hunt them this fall will be down lower in the middle to lower fringes of the forest.

Unit 12, east of town. I've spoke with the warden in the area in the past when we planned the elk hunt. I've tried him a number of times since to discuss deer to no avail. Guess I'll keep trying. My past mule deer hunts were the type where if you get ANY buck you did well. Just trying to go in with realistic expectations.

totally off topic for you but I do have advice for hunting around Saratoga. Make sure you bring the swim trunks and hit the hobo hot springs at night after hunting if you can. It's free, and you can shower up after. Noting better than sitting in a hot spring relaxing after hunting all day. Saratoga Wy is one of my favorite out of state hunting places.

If Steve Loose is still the biologist in the area, he is a great guy and really helpful. Talk to him if you can.

The wolf is a great place, I hunted antelope out their 5 years ago and loved Saratoga. Also if you are a trout fisherman bring a long a rod some good fishing can be had right in town!

I hope the Wolf Hotel Restaurant burgers are as good as they use to be. The last bite seems to be as hot as the first bite (possibly due to the fact that there are downed so quickly!!)

We always say that you can tell if the North Platte is fishing well, or it's big game season by counting the planes/jets at the airport.........the more the planes, the better the fishing.

me and a buddy will be in deer79 (camping in the area),maybe we will bump into you at the wolf one night. easy to recognize I will be the large good looking guy with blood on my hands... ;)

I'll be camped on the North Platte east of Saratoga at the Overland trail for a few days end of Sept first part of Oct. No tags this year but I am going to Douglas to help a friend bring home some mounts and thought we would get in a little fall fishing before hand. Hope the browns are biting.

Fishing the North Platte in October is pretty hard to beat.

me and a buddy will be in deer79 (camping in the area),maybe we will bump into you at the wolf one night. easy to recognize I will be the large good looking guy with blood on my hands... ;)

We'll be the group of four ugly guys with clean hands.

hell we got our licenses as leftover... we are just going for a good time don't expect to much but are gonna take 2 weeks and try to find a few mature bucks, my buddy has never hunted out west. after this deer hunt we are heading up for leftover lope in 21, so make for a great 3 week hunt/adventure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back