San Diego shore based shark?

Firedude

So my wife and I are going to San Diego next week. She gets sea sick just looking at a boat. I've messaged all the shore based guides I can find online. No replies. Does anybody know a shore based guide that can put us on a shark?

Not much help, but if it were me and I was targeting shark from shore I would head out to a pier early and get a chum slick going and try to lure them in. I’m 65 miles north and I have never seen anyone land a shark from the shore other than from a pier.

Not much help, but if it were me and I was targeting shark from shore I would head out to a pier early and get a chum slick going and try to lure them in. I’m 65 miles north and I have never seen anyone land a shark from the shore other than from a pier.
I've looked into that. It's good advice. Do you know anyone with the gear to catch and haul up a shark from the pier? I'll pay. I just don't have the gear or experience to make it happen effectively or ethically.

I don’t, but most guys up here that do it just use a really large treble hook and some think poly line from what I have seen. They land the fish or shark on normal tackle and once it’s below them they lower the treble, snag it and haul it up. Some of the best fish tacos I have ever had were made from a mako shark I caught off Laguna 20 years ago.

In San Diego your species options from the beach would be Leopard Sharks and Soupfin sharks, with an occasional Smoothhound or Seven Gill. None of those are typically targeted from the beach, but it can be done.

Leopard sharks are by far the most common. They are typically 10 to 25 pounds. A live surf perch is really good bait, but you need to catch them on-site. You can get them in cut squid or mackerel too. You will also get a bunch of bat rays and stingrays too.

You want an incoming tide, small surf, and a lot of time to dedicate. You need to find a beach holding bait that has some structure. The fishing gets much better at night.

Are you set on sharks? There’s nothing there similar to east coast shark fishing- nothing of that size. There are a lot more productive types of surf fishing in SoCal.

Where are you staying? That’s my old hood.

PM if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
In San Diego your species options from the beach would be Leopard Sharks and Soupfin sharks, with an occasional Smoothhound or Seven Gill. None of those are typically targeted from the beach, but it can be done.

Leopard sharks are by far the most common. They are typically 10 to 25 pounds. A live surf perch is really good bait, but you need to catch them on-site. You can get them in cut squid or mackerel too. You will also get a bunch of bat rays and stingrays too.

You want an incoming tide, small surf, and a lot of time to dedicate. You need to find a beach holding bait that has some structure. The fishing gets much better at night.

Are you set on sharks? There’s nothing there similar to east coast shark fishing- nothing of that size. There are a lot more productive types of surf fishing in SoCal.

Where are you staying? That’s my old hood.

PM if you have any other questions.
Mainly just because I've never caught a shark. I’ve caught lots of rockfish. I'm not stuck on shark but it would be fun. Also going to try for halibut if I can find a place. I found 2 guides that would kayak your bait way out after shark. Neither replied back. We were going yo be staying on base with familly but I think we're just going to hotel it.

Mainly just because I've never caught a shark. I’ve caught lots of rockfish. I'm not stuck on shark but it would be fun. Also going to try for halibut if I can find a place. I found 2 guides that would kayak your bait way out after shark. Neither replied back. We were going yo be staying on base with familly but I think we're just going to hotel it.
Ok roger that. Fishing inside Sad bay at night is pretty good for leopard sharks. The pier in Shelter Island could be good, but there are some interesting characters down there so it gets a little strange sometimes.

Try the San Diego Anglers. I’m sure they have a website or FB page. They have a local club there. Someone might be able to help you out.

Sorry, got ahead of myself and then went back and read the OP - disregard.

Last edited:
Yep, she puked that up too! She's had some strokes from a heart defect. The part of her brain affected had to do with balance. So any motion is doubled up on how bad it hits her.

She gets dizzy pretty easy. Add boat motion on top of that and she very likely will lose her lunch.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back