Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sad Story

Nemont

Father Shoots, Kills Teen Son In Hunting Accident

POSTED: 6:58 a.m. EST January 20, 2004

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A Florida hunter thought he was shooting at a wild boar. Instead, he killed his teenage son.

Authorities say Dennis Plucknett mistook his 14-year-old son Alex's black cap for a boar during a weekend hunting trip and shot the boy to death.

After someone yelled "hog!" police say Plucknett grabbed his rifle, steadied it on the hood of a bus and fired a round at something black moving in the distance.

When he and his other son ran to where they thought the boar was down, they found Alex on the ground with a wound to the back of his head.

Police say the eighth-grader was wearing a black toboggan cap with a camouflage jacket without a reflective vest. A spokesman says the family is devastated. Alex had hoped to become a major-league baseball player.

The local sheriff says there's "no question" the shooting will be ruled accidental.

I'm truly sorry to hear of this man's loss. I really can't imagine his grief and hope I never have to, but I can't bring myself to feel any compassion for his stupidity!

mad.gif
mad.gif

BASIC hunting safety dictates... INDENTIFY YOUR TARGET
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-20-2004 17:00: Message edited by: Gunner46 ]</font>

I agree with you 1000% it is just crazy not to know what you are shooting at. Just a really stupid thing to have happen.
Nemont

Although there is no excuse for it, I can not imagine going through what that father is going throug now and will be going through for the rest of his life. It was a terrible and stupid accident.
frown.gif

I agree with everyone else. Why in the world would he let his son go on a pig hunt dressed like that, and not know what he was shooting at. His grief, and guilt will be his punishment for as long as he lives. Can you imagine what will go thru his head everytime he see's the boys mother, and his other son.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-20-2004 17:00: Message edited by: Whiskers ]</font>

It is a small world. It turns out that they are related to my wife - her uncle's brother is the one who shot his son. She has never met them, but my mother-in-law called to tell us. Tragic and senseless - just plain stupid. (Her uncle is Don Plucknett - I never connected the name.)

Back