Ruger Number One, 375 H&H to the range today!

Guy

Ah, this morning was so nice at the NCW Gun Club! Cool, overcast, light breeze.

I took the 375 H&H Ruger Number One out to the range for a practice session. It's currently topped with the 1.5-5x Leupold. Today's ammo was the 270 grain RNSP Hornady over 69 grains of RL-15. The load is accurate & powerful. I've had this rifle for ten years now and have shot three bears with it. It's become one of my absolute favorite hunting rifles, and I wish I'd taken an elk or a mule deer with it as well, but that hasn't happened yet. Someday perhaps.

I'd only intended to shoot about 10 rounds today... But... Well... When I'm shooting one of my favorite rifles, it's hard to know when to quit. So... 35 rounds went downrange. :)

Shortest range I shot at was 20 yards, longest was only 100 yards. I did rest the rifle across my backpack for some shooting, but a most of it was from sitting or standing with no support. I surely do enjoy shooting this nice rifle. Reliable, accurate, great handling. Makes me grin so much. A few years ago I considered selling it, but am so glad that I didn't do that. This one is a keeper.

bHD5TcYl.jpg

0S4hs85l.jpg

uFpkTwwl.jpg

You can see where we had the fire department out to do a controlled burn on the range. Seemed prudent, given the summers/fire seasons we've had so often in recent years. They did a great job of burning the grass & weeds!

Am planning to carry this rifle for black bear again this year. Hoping for another success! :)

Regards, Guy

Awesome. The 375H&H bug bit me while I was still in college and never left. I have found myself using that caliber on way more than originally intended from water buffalo in Australia and moose all the way down to whitetail and mule deer. For some reason, and I suspect you have the same feeling, I find myself grabbing for that gun over my others more often, even when not required.

There’s just something about them isn’t there?

Yes there is something real special about the rifle. I think this is such a favorite because I love that Ruger single-shot rifle, it's just terrific, AND the cartridge is outstanding!

I remember being a bit apprehensive about the recoil when I got it. Then I shot that first round through it... And grinned ear to ear. It was more like a big push than a sharp slap. That the rifle fits me well and has a good Pachmayer recoil pad helps, but, it's just a sweet shooting cartridge. Then I started stretching the range... And found it was very accurate even at 300 yards. The first bear I shot with it was on a spot & stalk hunt here in Washington, one shot, 306 yards, one very dead bear very quickly. I have a huge amount of confidence in this rifle. Time to use it for elk or moose or something too.

I umm, have to confess to shooting a rockchuck with it, using a 300 grain SPBT Sierra... That worked! :)

Guy

That rig and cartridge is the other side of the pillow cool Guy...thanks for sharing. The 1.5x5 looks awesome on it.

Reactions: Guy
Those are nice rifles. My friend has one in .458 Win that I put a couple rounds through. That was enough for me.

Ya, the 458 is quite a cartridge. I've never owned a 458 rifle, though I've shot a couple. More than I need. In fact, although I like the 375 a lot, I surely don't "need" it for anything I've ever hunted. It's fun though. :)

Guy

Love the number 1!!!! Got one in a 270; well I say I have, my son acquired it!!! My bud has one in a 458 Lott, fun as hell to shoot!!

Z9FPxHnl.jpg

It's done well for me on bear in the past. Three now, with this rifle. A prior owner took it to Africa and shot quite an array of game with it, including Cape Buff.

I'd kinda like to take elk, mule deer, more bear with it, and maybe a trip to Africa as well... If I can come up with the cash.

Guy

Ive got a No.1 in 22-250 with the heavy barrel that I love for predator hunting. They are a beautiful weapon.

Haha the 375H&H really isn’t that bad. I have yet to shoot my 470NE double rifle, but when I do, I will report back on my fillings.

Blurry reading without my readers, and as a dentist, I read your last sentence to be about your dental restorations! I bet the 470NE will rattle some fillings loose if you aren't snugged tight and leaning into it at the moment of firing pin release.

I enjoyed that video of ol' Hickock rambling on about the 375 H&H Ruger Number One. He seemed to shoot it pretty well, which doesn't surprise me, it's really not a difficult rifle to shoot well.

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't thought of checking to see if he had done a video of it.

Regards, Guy

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back