Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Rudimentary reloading

TwistedSage

Looking to piecemeal together all of the supplies and equipment needed to start reloading. Never really wanted to get into it but I don't want to find myself in the situation on not being able to buy ammo again.

If yall could hp me our were im missing anything or i have anything wrong or confused id greatly appreciate it.

Loading for one cartridge..

Components-
Primer
Brass
Powder
Bullets

Equipment-
Manual
Press , single stage
Set of dies(sizing die, and seating die)?
Primer tool, apparently there's a hand tool and a press tool?
Powder scale
Powder hopper/dispenser?
Brass tumber
Case trimming tool?

I can send you my manual RCBS 510 scale. I use a electric one and when that takes a crap I’m going to a Chargemaster. A RCBS rock chucker press will is a great press that you will never need to upgrade. Plus if you want it will install primers, albeit slow.

Powder dispenser is nice but all you need is a trickler, cut Dixie cup, and a spoon. Plus I would recommend a plastic set of tweezers. I find myself using mine all the time when I over throw by a few kernels.

I use a primer pocket cleaner and case mouth chamfer and deburrer. You will want a electric caliper and eventually a case trimmer.

Skipping case lube is the most cost effective approach. Buy 1 case, get it permanently stuck in the sizing die, no need for expensive bullets, powder, primers or additional cases ;)
I like to take a big Allen wrench and put it in where the recapping rod was and use my framing hammer to aggressively tap it out. You would not believe the amount of lube I’ve been able to repurpose for other fun activities....

That Lee loader is the way I started and it did work. But if I were starting today for your reason I'd invest in a Lee single stage kit. I don;t think it comes with a micrometer but you can get one new for about $10. You can start with other more expensive kits but that Lee kit will do about everything they will for a lot less money. I think you can get one cartridge specific and it comes with a trimmer ofr the cartridge you get it for. Lot's of bad press for them but inexpensive and they will do what
any other kit will.

Lee makes a single cartridge case trimmers that work well and are less expensive than other trimmers.

You can use the priming tool that comes with most presses, or get a hand primer. I'd recommend the later, way faster.

I'd add a new(er) reloading manual to the list. I like Nosler books, but any would work.

Lowest price option is a Lee Anniversary kit...personally I think the scale is junk so I'd replace that but the priming tool works just fine. I'd probably replace the chamfering tool but it's functional.

The Lee case trimmer that comes with the anniversary kit does the job...get the pilot for the cartridge you're shooting

Lee dies work great for a simple setup (dies are very hard to get right now)

Case lube is cheap get some Imperial sizing wax or similar and it'll last you forever

Definitely get a set of calipers

Consider a case tumbler

Looking to piecemeal together all of the supplies and equipment needed to start reloading. Never really wanted to get into it but I don't want to find myself in the situation on not being able to buy ammo again.

If yall could hp me our were im missing anything or i have anything wrong or confused id greatly appreciate it.

Loading for one cartridge..

Components-
Primer
Brass
Powder
Bullets

Equipment-
Manual
Press , single stage
Set of dies(sizing die, and seating die)?
Primer tool, apparently there's a hand tool and a press tool?
Powder scale
Powder hopper/dispenser?
Brass tumber
Case trimming tool?
Imperial sizing die wax to lube cases, lee priming tool, get a digital scale (Dillon very reasonable) and a Lyman powder measure works well when loading a bunch of cases. Go with a manual from a powder manufacturer first as they typically cover more ground and bullet data is pretty available on the internet. I bet I have 20 manuals and seem to reference almost all of them once a year looking for something.

One tool I keep recommending to people hammer hat has been mentioned already is the Lee lock stud and cutter trimming tool. Not only is it a reliable tool for trimming but the lock stud part of it is a great way to secure the case in a drill. Once in the drill you can spin the case against cloth, extra fine steel wool, or a piece of rough leather to clean it. Once done cleaning the case, you can insert the trimmer to trim the case and then after that the chamfer and deburr tool comes to play to round out case prep. It’s an often overlooked tool that is multi-purpose for new and seasoned reloaders. I have one for every cartridge I reload for and use them frequently, even with a lathe-style trimmer at my disposal.

As far as case lube, I will echo others with the imperial case sizing wax. An excellent product. Once you have lived and sized your case, remember to chuck it back in the lock stud and use a rag wetted with mineral spirits or other solvent to wipe the case clean in no time.

The manual is a good idea. I like the Lyman 49th or 50th as it gives good instructions and has a good variety of load data. I also buy the annual Hodgdon Manual every year. It’s a cheaper resource that gets upgraded yearly. I also use Hodgdon’s and Barnes data online with good results.

I generally don’t like the loading kits you can buy as I don’t think they always include everything you need and some even include things that aren’t necessary for new reloaders. While a powder measure is handy to sped up weighing charges, I don’t think they should be used by new reloaders while they are still learning the steps. A good magnetic dampened beam scale and a trickler will treat you much better.

Lowest price option is a Lee Anniversary kit...personally I think the scale is junk so I'd replace that but the priming tool works just fine. I'd probably replace the chamfering tool but it's functional.

The Lee case trimmer that comes with the anniversary kit does the job...get the pilot for the cartridge you're shooting

Lee dies work great for a simple setup (dies are very hard to get right now)

Case lube is cheap get some Imperial sizing wax or similar and it'll last you forever

Definitely get a set of calipers

Consider a case tumbler
X2 on the imperial sizing wax

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back