MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

RTIC Coolers

TRS_Montana

Had never heard of these guys before last weekend. The claim is that they can offer good roto-molded coolers at half the price of Yeti because they cut out all of the middlemen. Anyone heard anything about RTIC coolers, good or bad? Price on a 65-quart is $200, which is a steal compared to big brands.

I actually just ordered a 65 quart. One potential drawback is that the estimated ship date is the end of August. I'm not in a rush, though, so that doesn't bother me too bad. Anyway, would love to hear what you guys think.

I have a 65. Great quality and nearly identical to a yeti. Holds ice pretty well. I put 60 beers and 40lbs of ice in it on a Friday. Was in my garage in 80 degree days and opened many times while I was doing yard work. Took it to a party on Sunday where we killed most of the beer so you can imagine how many times it was opened and not properly closed. Ice lasted until Wednesday. More realistic ice test than I kept it in the shade and only opened it twice a day. Their tumblers are nice as well. I have two. My wife ordered me a soft 20, so I will let you know how it is when I receive it.

They just gave everybody at work an RTIC 20. It handled the 85 degree beach weather last month as I would have expected. Its clearly a knock off Yeti tho. As a gift Im pleased so far.

Walmart is making a knock off Yeti now that a friend of mine has that does very well (we've been in the high 90's and low 100's) for an even better price point. I'll be getting a couple of them soon.

What my son said from his research is that the guy at Yeti and RTIC are brothers who split ways. He raves about the quality of the RTIC stuff. FWIW. John

I have one of the Wal-Mart tumblers and I was shocked at how well that thing holds ice. If I had one of those when I built my bar I wouldn't have needed the 50 lb ice machine!

They have a roto mold cooler also that is cheaper than the RTIC.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Glad to hear that most have been happy with RTIC. Cush, I hadn't heard of the Walmart version. Might look into that in the future for extra coolers. I like supporting the idea of maker-to-consumer business, though.

On Rokslide there has been a big thread about RTIC coolers and Atlas Coolers:

https://www.atlascoolers.com/

I was at Wally World last week and they have Ozark Trail SS 30 oz tumblers for about $9. The Yeti version is $40. Seriously, they are the same exact thing and probably made in the same factory. All of Yeti's stuff is made in China I believe so you are really just paying for a name anyway.

Had never heard of these guys before last weekend. The claim is that they can offer good roto-molded coolers at half the price of Yeti because they cut out all of the middlemen. Anyone heard anything about RTIC coolers, good or bad? Price on a 65-quart is $200, which is a steal compared to big brands.

I actually just ordered a 65 quart. One potential drawback is that the estimated ship date is the end of August. I'm not in a rush, though, so that doesn't bother me too bad. Anyway, would love to hear what you guys think.

After you get it go buy a 70 qt Coleman Xtreme for 1/4 the price and do a 5 day comparison and post the result and let me know if you think the extra $150 bucks was worth it. :)

Edit: While I do agree the Yeti and all of these other coolers are a bit better built, bear proof, built-in bottle cap removers...etc.etc... :).....I guess for my hunting I don't feel I need to spend 4-8X as much or more for a cooler based on how long it holds ice as the Xtreme is right up there with all those when it come to that. It also does not weigh 10lbs like that other either.

Last edited:
Check the delivery date for the RTIC. I was thinking about ordering one then noticed that I probably wouldn't even get to use it on Labor Day...let alone my July vacation.

Yeah, I'm not going to be sitting by the door waiting for this thing. However, I don't mind waiting until August to get it.

MN, you bring up a good point and one that might sting a bit in the end. Although, these coolers carry a 7-year warranty and are more resistant to bears....and since I already bought it, I will continue to find as many reasons as possible to justify my purchase :). I have had bad luck in the past buying cheaply-made coolers, so I guess I was more prone to go overboard than roll the dice on another typical cooler. We'll see what happens. From the research and what I've heard from other people, I don't think I'll be disappointed, but I probably won't have more than one of these in the cooler arsenal.

After you get it go buy a 70 qt Coleman Xtreme for 1/4 the price and do a 5 day comparison and post the result and let me know if you think the extra $150 bucks was worth it. :)

Edit: While I do agree the Yeti and all of these other coolers are a bit better built, bear proof, built-in bottle cap removers...etc.etc... :).....I guess for my hunting I don't feel I need to spend 4-8X as much or more for a cooler based on how long it holds ice as the Xtreme is right up there with all those when it come to that. It also does not weigh 10lbs like that other either.

I think it depends on where you hunt. Where we hunt there are no bears and a store with ice is rarely more than an 1 1/2 hours away and ice is very cheap. We usually have to make a fuel run about mid-week anyway and i've never seen a cooler that couldn't hold ice for 3-4 days.

I have an extreme and it is better than the average cooler for sure, but it still doesn't seal around the lid, so if it is in back of the truck or on a trailer, the wind is going to melt that ice way faster. I always fashion a seal out of 100mph tape, it helps a lot.

Have had a YETI 85 for quite awhile...no complaints. Have been lusting for the YETI softie but just wouldn't spring for the $$....the RTIC softie hits the spot or me, even with the two month wait. Thx for the mention TRS.

I take beater cheapies & duct tape to the hills for haul back.

just bought a few of the 10oz tumblers from RTIC. paid $12.50 each and that includes the lid. I bought a yeti 10oz for my Dad for Christmas and paid $25 and no lid. their lids are $5. so that's $30 vs $12.50. less than half the price and looks exactly the same. they are doing something right, if they have any advertising at all they should put a hurt on Yeti with this price difference.

you can get walmart's ozark trail branded 30oz tumbler for $10. It is identical to the Yeti version but $30 cheaper.

I have a Yeti, a couple of Igloos and an Engel. I did a test with them and the Yeti and Engel blew away the Igloos. They held ice for 7 days, the Igloos gave up the fight early on day 3. I would not recommend an Igloo as the hinges and latches are all broke as well as being a poor cooler.

you can get walmart's ozark trail branded 30oz tumbler for $10. It is identical to the Yeti version but $30 cheaper.

I saw those the other day and you can't beat the price difference. Just wondering how well the seal works on the lid. I really hate when you drink and your cup dribbles on your shirt especially if driving to work or something.

I saw those the other day and you can't beat the price difference. Just wondering how well the seal works on the lid. I really hate when you drink and your cup dribbles on your shirt especially if driving to work or something.

I am drinking out of my Wal Mart Tumbler right now. I filled it with ice yesterday morning before coming to work. I filled it with water 4 times throughout the day and the ice held strong. I left work at 5 pm with about 2/3 of the initial ice I started the day with sitting in the tumbler and no water. When I came in this morning at 8 it had barely melted so I refilled it with water. There is still a tennis ball sized chunk of ice in the tumbler 28 hours after I filled it with ice and then filled with water 5 times. The lids seal great on all 5 of them that I own. No leakage at all. The Wal Mart Tumblers are an exceptional bargain.

Back